Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Towing Behind a 5th Wheel

On the topic of towing behind RV or 5th.

Our existing Swivel Wheel has been a real godsend. We love not jack-knifing with the platform with swiveling wheels! Been cruising in our golf cart in RV parks, golf communities and even on local quiet local side-roads with no problems. For a comparatively small investment in cart and platform compared to RV cost, it's made a world of difference.

It attaches to the rear of our 5th with a dual receiver hitch, and we carry our golf cart and Bicycles. Can support 1200lbs. Have towed it all over the south TX, LA, MS & AL

Enquired with the very helpful Cruiserlift manufacturer to establish if we could engineer the platform a foot longer, and add a third wheel to carry an inflatable boat and outboard in three bags for a total weight of 1,500lbs.

Swivel Wheelers: It's not feasible without very expensive mods which would take the platform beyond DOT spec to the unknown. Can't support three wheels, so idea abandoned.

Cruiserlift recommend we look at an Idaho Tote trailer with a hydraulic swivel axle. What a great idea! Found and purchased one with electric brakes, winch, ramps etc. capable of 3,000 pounds. Sweet!

Plan to put our golf cart over the axle and load the outboard and boat bags to distribute the weight. Now the Mrs. is thrilled we can carry her garden fencing and gates for pets which wasn't possible before.

Ha, one slightly used swivel wheel 58DW for sale now. Will tow it to Denver for Mid Sept and advertise there for a buyer. Even though we are moving away from the swivel wheel, we want to say what a great experience we have had with it and would buy again depending on needs.

Question: Is there a place on here for ad's? 5th wheel or RV Trailer: Now you can tow your toys!

2015 Forest River Cardinal 3875FB
2014 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie Megacab
7.5KW Cummins Onan Diesel Generator
10' Idaho Tote Trailer & Bicycles
Street Legal Electric Golf Cart
Inflatable Boat w. 25HP Outboard
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Hmmm, a swivel wheel carrier. That may be just what I need. IF I had that then I could let the girlfriend ride on the swivel wheel and I could listen to the radio without interference as I travel.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
im looking to purchase one for my cedar creek i live in arlington went from a bumper pull
to a fifth wheel i miss my golf cart! i am interested
al parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Sounds like a great idea. Not sure how legal it is everywhere though, could make towed combination too long.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Hmmm, a swivel wheel carrier. That may be just what I need. IF I had that then I could let the girlfriend ride on the swivel wheel and I could listen to the radio without interference as I travel.
Now thats funny
1967 Barracuda fastback
2015 Wildcat MK 333
2010 Ram 2500 Mega-cab
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, towing, wheel