Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
B47

Tpms

I know that there have been previous posts regarding various brands of TPMS and users opinion of them.

I am seriously considering buying the TireMinder TPMS. It is on sale at CW for $279.99 for the entire system including 4 sensors. Their web site also states that they will send you free replacement batteries for 7 years if you return them after 1 year. Their web site shows a cost of $319.00 for the 4 sensor system.

I always check my FW tires for proper air pressure and so far have had no problems - but all of our trips have been somewhat close to home. I even brought a portable Porter Cable C1010 pancake compressor for use away from home. But we going from Texas to Upstate New York soon and I am thinking the TPMS may be a good investment.

Any input?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, a TPMS is 1 of the best safety items you can put on a travel trailer......or any trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #3

Once you have a TPMS, you'll wonder why you waited to buy one.
Eventually, everyone will have a flat on their camper, and the damage an undetected shredding tire can cause, can be extensive.
We wouldn't be without ours.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Once you have a TPMS, you'll wonder why you waited to buy one.
Eventually, everyone will have a flat on their camper, and the damage an undetected shredding tire can cause, can be extensive.
We wouldn't be without ours.
crocus - thanks and I am off to CW tomorrow to purchase the TireMinder TPMS.

After reading f1100turbo's post showing the various manufactures of these systems, I decided on the TireMinder for three reasons - (1) I need to install the TPMS before leaving next week on our trip to Upstate NY and CW is just up I -35 for me, (2) I like that TM will replace the batteries free each year for the next 7 years and (3) the sale price of $279.99.

I guess that some RV tires were really poorly made in the past years and some brands still are - I hope that my Trail Express ones are better quality than some of the others I have read about here.

This is a great forum and I am proud to be a member.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #5

My TPMS system has 10 sensors. four tires on the ground and a spare on both the TT and the truck. This way I know what EVERY tire is doing.

One thing I did wrong, was not upgrading my valve stems to the HD metal stems that Pressure Pro recommended. The extra "weight" of the sending unit at the end of the valve stem has caused the stem seats to develop leaks, especially on the el-cheapo stems that were on the TT from the factory.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
My TPMS system has 10 sensors. four tires on the ground and a spare on both the TT and the truck. This way I know what EVERY tire is doing.

One thing I did wrong, was not upgrading my valve stems to the HD metal stems that Pressure Pro recommended. The extra "weight" of the sending unit at the end of the valve stem has caused the stem seats to develop leaks, especially on the el-cheapo stems that were on the TT from the factory.
F I - My TV is a 2012 Ram 2500 and it is equipped with the factory TPMS.

That is a good point to remember about the valve stems being prone to leak after installing a TPMS. But if they do start to leak I will know it because I have a TPMS!

How is the weather up there? We are coming from Fort Worth, Texas to Henrietta, NY (just south of Rochester) next week and hope we have great weather en route.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

After reading f1100turbo's post showing the various manufactures of these systems, I decided on the TireMinder for three reasons - (1) I need to install the TPMS before leaving next week on our trip to Upstate NY and CW is just up I -35 for me, (2) I like that TM will replace the batteries free each year for the next 7 years and (3) the sale price of $279.99.

I guess that some RV tires were really poorly made in the past years and some brands still are - I hope that my Trail Express ones are better quality than some of the others I have read about here.

Its great to have you!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Well so much for my going to CW to purchase a TireMinder TPMS. I called my nearest CW store this morning to see if they had one in stock. The lady said no and it looks like they have been backordered for awhile. So I called my next closest CW store - same thing.

So I called CW HQ and was told that was a special internet sale item and there was one on the west coast - won't help me.

So I went to Amazon and found they offer the same model (TMG 400C-4 for 7 dollars less than CW. I will order one when I get to Upstate NY as there is not enought time to get it at my house before we leave. I will just have to be alert.

It pays to call ahead sometimes.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It also pays to shop around ! Especially when you find a price thats lower than someones sale price !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
It also pays to shop around ! Especially when you find a price thats lower than someones sale price !
You are correct, but in my case once I decided to buy it I wanted to buy snd install it today in prepareation for our upcoming trip next week. I didn't want to order it from Amazon and not be home when it would be delivered.

So I guess I will order it from Amazon when we get to Upstate NY and install it there for the return trip.

In the meantime my new Porter Cable portable c1010 air compressor is to be delivered tomorrow and I now have my Surge Guard 50 amp surge protector- so I am in fairly good shape.

I will just have to check the tires on the trip and if I have a flat I have a warrantly for that.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #11

I ordered the Tireminder TPMS. Question for those that have a TPMS already. How long do the batteries in the valve stems last? Do you remove the batteries between trips? Seems like you'd have to reset the pressures on the system console each trip if you reinstalled batteries each time.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My Pressure Pro batteries are going on 5 years now.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #13

In the TST 507RV system....The CR2032 batteries are predicted to last one year. If the sensors are pulled off tires then they will last longer if you desire to do so, I won't.

HC
TST 507RV TPMS
MaxBrake BC
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCab View Post
In the TST 507RV system....The CR2032 batteries are predicted to last one year. If the sensors are pulled off tires then they will last longer if you desire to do so, I won't.

HC
I just installed the 507 and love it. Can't believe the extra peace of mind.

Also, those batteries are user replaceable.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

I have the orange TPMS system installed. It is a budget minded system with only four sensors. So far I have been very happy for the simple reason that I only have a single axle and a tire coming apart could be a bad situation for me. I can set my "range" of pressures and it already has helped me by a tire temp too hot from a recent brake adjustment.

A TPMS. System is money well spent!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote