Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #31
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
In addition, I am comfortable with the PSI readings on all four tires. My baseline PSI setting is 80 PSI.

I did not lower my cold PSI readings before installing and programming the sensors the first time. All four cold PSI readings were 55 PSI.
I'm not understanding this. If your cold PSI readings are at 55psi, I can't imagine you getting the readings that you did while towing. They don't heat up THAT much.

What am I missing?

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
I'm not understanding this. If your cold PSI readings are at 55psi, I can't imagine you getting the readings that you did while towing. They don't heat up THAT much.

What am I missing?

Pop
Springer -that was a test and you passed!

My typo - I meant to say that my cold psi readings (before I installed and programmed the sensors) was 85 psi on all 4 tires.

I didn't see the need to reduce the cold psi readings of 85 psi to my baseline setting of 80 psi because the sensor works off of what your baseline setting is and I set mine at the recommended 80 psi cold.

Thanks for the catch.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #33
Too old to be too smart

See? I actually DO read these posts!

It all makes much more sense now!

Thanks!

Pop

Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Does everyone here have metal valve stems as recommened by TST? Mine are rubber and I'm not sure if I'm getting one until I switch out the valve stems.
We had them installed when we upgraded tires / size.
Put the sensors on yesterday to make sure they were reading OK and not leaking. So far so good!
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Does everyone here have metal valve stems as recommened by TST? Mine are rubber and I'm not sure if I'm getting one until I switch out the valve stems.
I've got the short rubber stems which the tire installers put on then they redid my install and balance. Metal stems seem to make sense if my rubber stems were out past the rim edge but they appear tucked in fairly well.
I should have had them on when the tires were balanced (if they are that heavy that I need metal stems) because they will no doubt have throw out the balance.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #36
Too old to be too smart

I have the steel stems. I specifically asked for them at the time the dealer put on the new tires. It was a minor fiasco (see this post), but I'd do it all over again the same way (if I HAD to) to have them.

It's a good idea to have the sensors also in place during the balance procedure.

At a minimum, you should be using the higher-pressure "light truck" stems, and NOT the conventional passenger car stems.

Pop

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Drove from Clermont (NW of Orlando) to Daytona this morning. Starting pressure on all 4 tires was 61# and temp. was 80°, within 20 minutes on I 4, pressure on pass. side was 69#, temp 100°, driver side tires 67#, temp 97°. They never varied any all the way to Daytona. Will see what happens tomorrow when we go on North to Jacksonville.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #38

I have the TT 400. I have had it for both of my TT's. It works! and it works WELL. Just this Fri 29 JUN I was returning from Punta Gorda FL to Palm Coast and it alarmed with a decrease of 8 PSI. I pulled over (on I-4) - WAY OVER, and checked with my handheld guage - yep, 8 PSI low. Filled back to 50 with my small compressor and under way - after first checkling the perimeter of the tire for a foreign object. Nothing found. 10 miles down the road, I got another alarm of 5 psi low, I knew I was close to a Tire Kingdom in Deland, so I slowed a bit, got off the hiway and arrived at TK, no problems. They checked the inside of the tire and found a nail had gone in head first, sort of sealed and ground away to just below tread. I got lucky - an inside repair and I was on my way for $10.00!! I do get readings in the a.m., as I open the door to the truck and the TT 400 C turns on and updates as I get loaded and hooked up, I check the readings and if all is good, I go. If I need to add air, you still have to remove a valve cap if you did not have a TPMS so that flow thru feature is not a real inconvience IMO. Pressures seem very accurate, I have checked as soon as I stop with a digital guage and everything matches. All in all, a very good system at a reasonable price.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #39
B47

Big John -

Good news - what is your Baseline pressure setting? Five PSI drop seems kind of sensistive for getting an alarm.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #40

Last year we had a near miss with a failed tire

We got the Hawks Head system because of the size of the monitor and the fact that the batteries are replaceable without sending the sensor back to the company.