Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
ittle dew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 112
Sorry, I hit the send button by accident.

I LOVE having a TPMS now. If anything from dragging brakes to a failing tire happen, now I know early enough to do something about it instead of after the fact. I can't see towing without it now.

Mine reads temp, pressure both static and in motion and I had the stems changed to the metal ones at Sears.

Some of the best money I spent for safety and peace of mind.
__________________

__________________
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #42
Too old to be too smart
 
SpringerPop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La La Land
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Five PSI drop seems kind of sensistive for getting an alarm.
If one sets the initial pressures when "cold", it seems the pressures should only go one way, up.

Except for operating on a substantially-colder day, it doesn't seem very likely they would drop below baseline without some kind of leakage, and that's something about which I want to know.

Of course, we could set up a scenario where it COULD happen, but in that case we should be easily able to figure out why the system alarmed, and avoid apprehension.

I may re-think my low-limit trip points, and set them closer to baseline.

Pop
__________________

__________________
2005 Terry 250RKS, perfect for the two of us and the pups.
It recently replaced our Flagstaff 21FB (which we still have)

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #43
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
If one sets the initial pressures when "cold", it seems the pressures should only go one way, up.

Except for operating on a substantially-colder day, it doesn't seem very likely they would drop below baseline without some kind of leakage, and that's something about which I want to know.

Of course, we could set up a scenario where it COULD happen, but in that case we should be easily able to figure out why the system alarmed, and avoid apprehension.

I may re-think my low-limit trip points, and set them closer to baseline.

Pop
"set them closer to baseline." is what the Tire Traker manual suggests.

And of course remenber what ever your baseline setting is, that setting is what sets off your alarm if and when the psi drops below that.
__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #44
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Just finished our trek from Orlando from 20 miles south of Savannah, GA to Concord, NC. Temp @ start 77°, pressures 62#, after reaching Columbia, SC temps were pass. side 111°, 70#, driver side 109°, 68#. Ambient temp 99°.

That's it for camping for a while, at least a week or two. Have to make some awning tie downs for a fellow in FL and 2 or 3 more sets just in case.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
BigTJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 746
I set the baseline to 55 psi for the max. That way the % drop is a little higher (lower psi, am I saying this right) in other words I get notified a little sooner when psi drops. 5 psi drop seems quite a bit IMO as a higher psi as when tires are running seems not to be too much of a problem. I just am a little worried about lower psi. After all, NASCAR(not a huge fan) worries about 1/2 - 1 1/2 psi.
__________________
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #46
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
I set the baseline to 55 psi for the max. That way the % drop is a little higher (lower psi, am I saying this right) in other words I get notified a little sooner when psi drops. 5 psi drop seems quite a bit IMO as a higher psi as when tires are running seems not to be too much of a problem. I just am a little worried about lower psi. After all, NASCAR(not a huge fan) worries about 1/2 - 1 1/2 psi.
From my limited use of the TST system, going from Concord, NC to Orlando, FL and back, our tires gained about 10-12#, I had originally set the upper at 59# and the alarm went off in about 40 miles. Reset to 65# (15# over cold) and min. @ 5# under cold (55#).

Had an interesting thing happen in FL, I loosened the sensors to save the batteries and when we had the trailer washed & waxed, evidently the guy that washed the wheels bumped a sensor and after 3 days, the tire was flat. Lesson learned, remove the sensors completely. Had made a storage box for them, but too lazy to use it. Have updated the box from this picture to hold the new 507 sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01112.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	15912  
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
BigTJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 746
dunnc - I did not know the TST system was using power while not moving. Tire Minder seems to do fine and I am on original battery set 9 months to date. TST is (IMO) a better system but I bought the TM when I needed it and it has been very good. As far as I am concerned it more than paid for itself when I got the nail in the RR TT tire last week, as explained a few posts earlier. Somes better than none.
__________________
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #48
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
dunnc - I did not know the TST system was using power while not moving. Tire Minder seems to do fine and I am on original battery set 9 months to date. TST is (IMO) a better system but I bought the TM when I needed it and it has been very good. As far as I am concerned it more than paid for itself when I got the nail in the RR TT tire last week, as explained a few posts earlier. Somes better than none.
I quizzed TST and was told the batteries will last 12 months being used 24-7.

Not knowing this, I removed them when we were in FL. When we got home, I removed them again as we will not be using the trailer for a few weeks and see no reason to have them draining the batteries. Made a box for them and store in trailer when not in use.

Will pick up 4 new batteries just for spares and carry those also in the box.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,343
My 507 TST system paid for itself on the weekend as well and it wasn't even our tires...
A bunch of 5th wheel haulers ripped by me at about 70 mph and as I crested a small hill I saw chunks of tire still smoking.
got to the second hill and there it was. A 5'er on the side of the road with an older couple looking not so happy.
So I did what I would normally do - drove past them and - safely stopped about 500 feet in front of them.
We walked back and noticed that they had no jack, no jack stand and no SPARE TIRE ?

The trailer prosession they were with carried on in to the next town - unhitched and were returning with a spare.
In the mean time we used my 12 ton bottle jack and 3 ton stand, jacked it up and removed it.
The inside looked a bit like an exploded roadside bomb had gone off. Chip board, rubber, flooring everywhere. And the smell...
OMG the smell.

Anyway while driving back the remainder of the trip home my wife kept an eye on the pressures and temps. One less worry for us as this was the first trip with the TPMS working flawlessly.


__________________

__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.