Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
B47

tpms

Yes - another question about tpms.

I did a lot of research about these systems and decided on the Tire Traker 400C.

I have not yet installed it, but while reading the manual that came with it, I became aware that it only sends tire pressure and temperature while the unit it is installed on is "...in motion."

While I will keep and use it, my questions are:

Are there any tpms that allow you to get a cold psi and temperature reading (s), e.g. I always check my tires before pulling out in the morning and realize that I will have to unscrew each sensor and read the psi with a guage. If I don't do it this way, I could be 10 miles down the road before I know my tire (s) are low. This is what I am undersanding after reading the manual.

Also - do any tpms allow you to service the tire without removing the sensor?

Thanks
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

Have a look at this post.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tst-22883.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Yes I see that TST offers the flow though sensor - not much discussion on how it works.

Still having seen anything about any of them being able to take the cold psi reading without removing the sensors.

I am almost hoping that none of them do.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

I put the Tire Traker 400c on my 21rr last Wednesday and just got back from a 400 mile trip. It worked fine for me. I checked all my tires pressure with my gauge and air hose before leaving and then while driving all I had to do to check temp and pressure was push a button. I believe my temps varied as much as 20 degrees and my pressure about 6 lbs. I did notice it had to be in motion but it wasn't really a problem as I alway check tires before leaving. The sensors unscrew like a valve cap. I was going to buy a booster but the people that sold it to me told me to try it first and see if I needed it. I didn't. I thought that was quite honest of them.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

My TST shows pressure and temp whenever it is turned on. It takes a few minutes to connect to the sensors when first turned on.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I put the Tire Traker 400c on my 21rr last Wednesday and just got back from a 400 mile trip. It worked fine for me. I checked all my tires pressure with my gauge and air hose before leaving and then while driving all I had to do to check temp and pressure was push a button. I believe my temps varied as much as 20 degrees and my pressure about 6 lbs. I did notice it had to be in motion but it wasn't really a problem as I alway check tires before leaving. The sensors unscrew like a valve cap. I was going to buy a booster but the people that sold it to me told me to try it first and see if I needed it. I didn't. I thought that was quite honest of them.
Yes i think it is going to be a good investment. What I was hoping to avoid was having to remove the sensors to get my cold psi readings.

I spoke to Daryl about the need for a booster and he asked if I had a diesel or gas engine - I told him diesel and he said that for some reason diesels seemed to need a booster more than a gas job. I will have to see when we get it on the road. Like you - I thought that was quite honest of him.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
My TST shows pressure and temp whenever it is turned on. It takes a few minutes to connect to the sensors when first turned on.
FB - when you say "It takes a few minutes to connect to the sensors when first turned on." - I assume that you are saying it takes awhile for the unit to be in motion before it connects - correct?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
FB - when you say "It takes a few minutes to connect to the sensors when first turned on." - I assume that you are saying it takes awhile for the unit to be in motion before it connects - correct?
Not correct. TST system reads pressure and temp without moving. Turn monitor on. Within 2-3 minutes it starts displaying info. Within about 5 minutes all sensors have sent update to monitor. I turn mine on while doing final departure chores and by the time I am ready to move I have the status of all tires displayed. In fact, I won't put it in gear until I have indication that all tires are acceptable.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Not correct. TST system reads pressure and temp without moving. Turn monitor on. Within 2-3 minutes it starts displaying info. Within about 5 minutes all sensors have sent update to monitor. I turn mine on while doing final departure chores and by the time I am ready to move I have the status of all tires displayed. In fact, I won't put it in gear until I have indication that all tires are acceptable.
RV Bill - Thanks for the bad news.

What I mean is that I was hoping that no tpms allowed you to read cold psi without removing the sensors. Not really - I just wish I had done my research about these systems a little bit better and checked for this feature before buying mine.

I will just have to live with removing the sensors before each new day departure.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
H2oski

I have the Tire Minder 400C, same as yours and mine shows cold temp and PSI without removing the sensors. Just used it 2 weeks ago and on the HWY PSI went up to about 90-91 psi and temps went up to about 104 degrees. The next day when Igot into the truck the temps were down to 77 degrees and the psi was down to 79-80 exactly where I had them set prior to leaving. You shouldn't have to remove them to show last reported temps.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
I have the Tire Minder 400C, same as yours and mine shows cold temp and PSI without removing the sensors. Just used it 2 weeks ago and on the HWY PSI went up to about 90-91 psi and temps went up to about 104 degrees. The next day when Igot into the truck the temps were down to 77 degrees and the psi was down to 79-80 exactly where I had them set prior to leaving. You shouldn't have to remove them to show last reported temps.

H - I have the TIRE TRAKER 400C. I hope they are the same, but from reading the manual I did not see anything about being able to take cold readings.

I will call them tomorrow and let everyonr know.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #12

Yeah, what RvBill said.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
H2oski

B47 look in the files section in the green bar at the top of the page I have uploaded the Tire Minder manual and troubleshooting manual. Download and take a look at pg 11 paragraph 10. That should answer your questions.
(LA) Lower Alabama
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
B47

Quote:
B47 look in the files section in the green bar at the top of the page I have uploaded the Tire Minder manual and troubleshooting manual. Download and take a look at pg 11 paragraph 10. That should answer your questions.
Thanks - I haven't had a chance to look at what you said here, but I just called Daryl at Tire Traker to ask him. Daryl was not there, but his assistant said that if I wanted to check my cold psi readings the next morning that all I have to do is turn the monitor on and wait 20 minutes. After that period the last recorded psi readings would be displayed.

This is not fully explained in the manual you receive with the system, but they have included an extra supplement that explains this feature.

So while this is not "real time" information it will at least let me know what my cold psi readings from the day before were.

I feel better.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
B47

Quote:
H - I just looked up your reference here and find some differences.

The Tire Minder manual (page 11, para10) doesn't say that you can check the psi readings cold or not and it also doesn't say anything about waiting 20 minutes after turning the monitor on and getting your last recorded psi readings as the Tire Traker does (see my previous post).
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
H2oski

b47 Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking.
(LA) Lower Alabama
Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
b47 Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking.
H -no problem - After what I learned today from reading your reference and talking to Daryl I have come to the conclusion that no tpms that I am aware of will give you a current cold psi reading, meaning the reading you get in the morming before you depart the cg. I believe that I will just have to unscrew the sensors and use my guage to do that. I would like to know my cold psi before moving so if one or more of my tires needs air I could do it at the cg before moving.

I am satisfied with being able to get my psi readings after turning on the Tire Traker monitor and waiting 20 minutes. If those readings are good, then I will just believe them until something happens to not believe them.

I do like the TST Flo Though sensors and if I had known about them I probably would have brought that brand.

Which brings up another question - if you can service the tire with the TST Flo Though sensor without removing the sensor, shouldn't you be able to also take a guage reading with then installed?

I got to quit asking so many questions
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #18

507 user. ordered and installed mine 2 weeks ago when they offered the 2 yr warranty for no additional cost. Due to wet weather the TT has sat in the yard. Test the unit and it reads cold temp and static pressure just fine. Hardly wait to roll out with the new radials and the sensors in a couple weeks
The flow through update allows you to put air into a slack tire without removing the sensor and having to reflash it.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
507 user. ordered and installed mine 2 weeks ago when they offered the 2 yr warranty for no additional cost. Due to wet weather the TT has sat in the yard. Test the unit and it reads cold temp and static pressure just fine. Hardly wait to roll out with the new radials and the sensors in a couple weeks
The flow through update allows you to put air into a slack tire without removing the sensor and having to reflash it.
Cop - thanks and if I had known about the 507 flow though sensor update I would have ordered it instead of what I ordered. I don't mean to say that removing a sensor is that big of a bother, but if I can add without removing one then that is one less thing to mess with.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
H -no problem - After what I learned today from reading your reference and talking to Daryl I have come to the conclusion that no tpms that I am aware of will give you a current cold psi reading, meaning the reading you get in the morming before you depart the cg. I believe that I will just have to unscrew the sensors and use my guage to do that. I would like to know my cold psi before moving so if one or more of my tires needs air I could do it at the cg before moving.

I am satisfied with being able to get my psi readings after turning on the Tire Traker monitor and waiting 20 minutes. If those readings are good, then I will just believe them until something happens to not believe them.

I do like the TST Flo Though sensors and if I had known about them I probably would have brought that brand.

Which brings up another question - if you can service the tire with the TST Flo Though sensor without removing the sensor, shouldn't you be able to also take a guage reading with then installed?

I got to quit asking so many questions
The TST system gives you cold pressure readings in the morning. Turn on the monitor, wait a few minutes for each sensor to send an update to the monitor and you have your current reading displayed without moving. Each sensor sends updated info about every 5 minutes, unless it detects a change then it updates immediately. So you never have to wait more than a couple of minutes in the morning. The new flow through sensors make it easier to add or subtract air if needed but you should never have to take a pressure reading through the sensor since the monitor always displays the current reading-whether moving or parked.