Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Thanks - I haven't had a chance to look at what you said here, but I just called Daryl at Tire Traker to ask him. Daryl was not there, but his assistant said that if I wanted to check my cold psi readings the next morning that all I have to do is turn the monitor on and wait 20 minutes. After that period the last recorded psi readings would be displayed.

This is not fully explained in the manual you receive with the system, but they have included an extra supplement that explains this feature.

So while this is not "real time" information it will at least let me know what my cold psi readings from the day before were.

I feel better.
Real time report (24) hrs old. I have had tires go flat in a shorter time span. Knowing that my tires were OK the (Day before) is a little late! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
The TST system gives you cold pressure readings in the morning. Turn on the monitor, wait a few minutes for each sensor to send an update to the monitor and you have your current reading displayed without moving. Each sensor sends updated info about every 5 minutes, unless it detects a change then it updates immediately. So you never have to wait more than a couple of minutes in the morning. The new flow through sensors make it easier to add or subtract air if needed but you should never have to take a pressure reading through the sensor since the monitor always displays the current reading-whether moving or parked.
I am starting to realize that my Tire Traker tpms does the same thing - only according to them the monitor takes 20 minutes to wake up before giving cold psi readings (see my previous post). As I also stated in one of my earlier posts, the fancy manual you get from them states that they work while the vehicle is "in motion." That is what got me to start thinking.

However, and I do not have the manual here right now, Tire Traker said that they discuss this feature in a supplement to the manual. I will have to read that again.

Still - the ability to service the tire without having to remove the sensor as with the TST system would have been enought for me to purchase that one.

Thanks for the information and I will keep you informed.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Real time report (24) hrs old. I have had tires go flat in a shorter time span. Knowing that my tires were OK the (Day before) is a little late! Youroo!!
yeah - it is not my real definition of "real time" either - but it is the best I can do.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
The flow through update allows you to put air into a slack tire without removing the sensor and having to reflash it.
I have the 507 "external" (non-flow-through) units, and there is no need at all to re-flash anything when merely adjusting pressures.

Simply use the "key" to remove the sensors, add or subtract pressure, and use the key to re-install the sensor.

The alarm will go off as soon as you unscrew a sensor, and will beep while you are adjusting pressure, but go off as soon as the sensor is replaced. It will have the new pressure immediately displayed.

The only time that any re-programming would be necessary is if you moved a sensor to a different location, were adjusting the alarm parameters, or were adding additional sensors to the system.

I really like this new "safety device", and will be getting additional sensors for the truck.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
I have the 507 "external" (non-flow-through) units, and there is no need at all to re-flash anything when merely adjusting pressures.

Simply use the "key" to remove the sensors, add or subtract pressure, and use the key to re-install the sensor.

The alarm will go off as soon as you unscrew a sensor, and will beep while you are adjusting pressure, but go off as soon as the sensor is replaced. It will have the new pressure immediately displayed.

The only time that any re-programming would be necessary is if you moved a sensor to a different location, were adjusting the alarm parameters, or were adding additional sensors to the system.

I really like this new "safety device", and will be getting additional sensors for the truck.

Pop
Good to know as ours just showed up. We leave on a trip tomorrow morning but I am going to program them and put them on once we get there.

Just upgraded to new 15" Maxxis tires last week so we should be good for the 200 miles.

That way i can make sure the sensors are on right and not leaking or not responding.

As you said, another good safety feature and peace of mind.
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
B47

tpms readings

OK - I installed my new Tire Traker C400 system on my Silverback 29rk and am wondering what to make of my first experience with it.

Here are the facts:

1. The FW was hauled 64 miles from storage to my dealer for some work.

2. The FW was not loaded - prettry close to factory dealivered weight.

3. The outside temperature was between 80-85 degrees F during the 1.5 hour pull and the speed never exceeded 60 MPH.

4. The following readings were on the monitor when we arrived at the dealers:

Left Forward - 87.1 PSI and 93 degrees F

Left Rear - 90.8 PSI and 93 degrees F

Right Front - 84.6 PSI and 75 degrees F

Right Rear - 88.2 PSI and 95 degrees F

I am just wondering why the Right Front temperature reading was 18-20 degrees lower than the other three tire readings.

I am not ready to say that I have a bad sensor on the Right Front at this time as this is the first time I have used it.

I also am keeping a record of all my future trips and will be able to see if the Right Front temperature reading is consisently lower than the other three.

In addition, I am comfortable with the PSI readings on all four tires. My baseline PSI setting is 80 PSI.

I did not lower my cold PSI readings before installing and programming the sensors the first time. All four cold PSI readings were 55 PSI.

Any comments?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #27

Maybe take readings for one trip, mark and then swap sensors around and see if the readings change. That will tell you if they are accurate or not.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #28

Does everyone here have metal valve stems as recommened by TST? Mine are rubber and I'm not sure if I'm getting one until I switch out the valve stems.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
Maybe take readings for one trip, mark and then swap sensors around and see if the readings change. That will tell you if they are accurate or not.
That is what I am planning to do - if the Right Front temperature shows to be that much lower after my next trip, I will swap sensors and see what happens.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Does everyone here have metal valve stems as recommened by TST? Mine are rubber and I'm not sure if I'm getting one until I switch out the valve stems.
I have brass stems and that is what Tire Traker recommends.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #31
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
In addition, I am comfortable with the PSI readings on all four tires. My baseline PSI setting is 80 PSI.

I did not lower my cold PSI readings before installing and programming the sensors the first time. All four cold PSI readings were 55 PSI.
I'm not understanding this. If your cold PSI readings are at 55psi, I can't imagine you getting the readings that you did while towing. They don't heat up THAT much.

What am I missing?

Pop

Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
I'm not understanding this. If your cold PSI readings are at 55psi, I can't imagine you getting the readings that you did while towing. They don't heat up THAT much.

What am I missing?

Pop
Springer -that was a test and you passed!

My typo - I meant to say that my cold psi readings (before I installed and programmed the sensors) was 85 psi on all 4 tires.

I didn't see the need to reduce the cold psi readings of 85 psi to my baseline setting of 80 psi because the sensor works off of what your baseline setting is and I set mine at the recommended 80 psi cold.

Thanks for the catch.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #33
Too old to be too smart

See? I actually DO read these posts!

It all makes much more sense now!

Thanks!

Pop

Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #34

Quote:
We had them installed when we upgraded tires / size.
Put the sensors on yesterday to make sure they were reading OK and not leaking. So far so good!
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #35

Quote:
I've got the short rubber stems which the tire installers put on then they redid my install and balance. Metal stems seem to make sense if my rubber stems were out past the rim edge but they appear tucked in fairly well.
I should have had them on when the tires were balanced (if they are that heavy that I need metal stems) because they will no doubt have throw out the balance.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #36
Too old to be too smart

I have the steel stems. I specifically asked for them at the time the dealer put on the new tires. It was a minor fiasco (see this post), but I'd do it all over again the same way (if I HAD to) to have them.

It's a good idea to have the sensors also in place during the balance procedure.

At a minimum, you should be using the higher-pressure "light truck" stems, and NOT the conventional passenger car stems.

Pop

Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Drove from Clermont (NW of Orlando) to Daytona this morning. Starting pressure on all 4 tires was 61# and temp. was 80°, within 20 minutes on I 4, pressure on pass. side was 69#, temp 100°, driver side tires 67#, temp 97°. They never varied any all the way to Daytona. Will see what happens tomorrow when we go on North to Jacksonville.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #38

I have the TT 400. I have had it for both of my TT's. It works! and it works WELL. Just this Fri 29 JUN I was returning from Punta Gorda FL to Palm Coast and it alarmed with a decrease of 8 PSI. I pulled over (on I-4) - WAY OVER, and checked with my handheld guage - yep, 8 PSI low. Filled back to 50 with my small compressor and under way - after first checkling the perimeter of the tire for a foreign object. Nothing found. 10 miles down the road, I got another alarm of 5 psi low, I knew I was close to a Tire Kingdom in Deland, so I slowed a bit, got off the hiway and arrived at TK, no problems. They checked the inside of the tire and found a nail had gone in head first, sort of sealed and ground away to just below tread. I got lucky - an inside repair and I was on my way for $10.00!! I do get readings in the a.m., as I open the door to the truck and the TT 400 C turns on and updates as I get loaded and hooked up, I check the readings and if all is good, I go. If I need to add air, you still have to remove a valve cap if you did not have a TPMS so that flow thru feature is not a real inconvience IMO. Pressures seem very accurate, I have checked as soon as I stop with a digital guage and everything matches. All in all, a very good system at a reasonable price.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
B47

Big John -

Good news - what is your Baseline pressure setting? Five PSI drop seems kind of sensistive for getting an alarm.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #40

Last year we had a near miss with a failed tire

We got the Hawks Head system because of the size of the monitor and the fact that the batteries are replaceable without sending the sensor back to the company.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote