Old 10-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

TPMS 507 Range - incredible

I dropped off my camper at the dealership yesterday for service, and I thought I would leave my TPMS monitor turned on in my truck to see what was the distance I would still get a signal from the wheel sensors. To my astonishment, the monitor kept picking up the signal until I was about 20 miles away from the camper. I didn't really believe what I was seeing, but I could see the tire air pressure slowly cooling down from the roadtrip over there , for at least 20 minutes after I left. Finally, after traveling from Wharton Tx to West Columbia, the monitor lost signal from the tires.

I would not have thought this was possible.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Have noticed similar with the 507, but, think we are seeing the "last" valid reading. Kind of a disadvantage cause you cannot tell when the TPMS is not seeing a signal due to a weak battery or interference. Anyone know for sure?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

This made me wonder what would happen if a wheel just fell off of my TT.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Pickin' & Campin'

Wow! I really wonder what it was seeing?

I tried this exact test on Monday morning. I received my 507 over the weekend and programmed and installed the sensors Sunday afternoon and to make sure I understood how everything worked.

When I left for work Monday morning I turned on the monitor to see if any readings had changed (camper is parked close enough to truck) and before I got to the end of my 1500' lane, all wheels were blinking blank. (just like it does when booting up and acquiring signal)

I have no clue what you were seeing??
I personally, find it hard to believe it was picking up the signal off the sensors from your unit since even TST suggests distances more than 45' will likely require a repeater.

I don't know but I can't imagine the transmitter in the sensors could be powerful enough (or even FCC licensed) to that kind of range.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Roo The Day View Post
This made me wonder what would happen if a wheel just fell off of my TT.
Just e-mailed TST with the following questions. Will post any answers.

I have the TST 507 TPMS and have a few questions. Have noticed when I park the travel trailer and drive away, the last "valid" pressure reading and temperature remains on the display. Stays until I switch the unit off and then back on. A bit far fetched, but, what happens if I lose a tire? What happens if the battery in the sensor goes bad/weak. How do I tell if the displayed air pressure is the current air pressure or the last air pressure signal the display unit received?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #6

The reply will be interesting. A couple times this year, one of my tires went to 0 and alarmed for about 20 seconds. It came back on and seemed fine after that. I assumed the signal was just lost. So I figured if a wheel fell off that is what would happen. (except it wouldn't come back on.)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Pickin' & Campin'

It will be interesting to hear what they say.

As I said, my monitor did not continue to flash any information (only the wheel location) once out of range. And, I've read where others have seen reading drop-outs installed on longer units which need a repeater. I wouldn't think they could have experienced a "drop-out" if the unit is designed to just continue flashing the last known reading.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you both didn't experience what you've said but for the life of me I can't imagine it is to supposed to work that way.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
Have noticed similar with the 507, but, think we are seeing the "last" valid reading.
That is the way my Pressure Pro TPMS works, also.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #9

I suppose the gist of thread may suggest it is necessary to switch off the monitor occasionally to insure we still have all of our wheels? My next test will be to turn on the monitor when I leave home to pick my camper up again, and see where it begins to pick up the wheel units. I'll bet it will be when I am backing up to the camper, not miles away.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Roo The Day View Post
... My next test will be to turn on the monitor when I leave home to pick my camper up again, and see where it begins to pick up the wheel units. I'll bet it will be when I am backing up to the camper, not miles away.
As an EE and Ham Radio Licensee often working with and designing RF circuitry, I can guarantee you that if that unit picks up those TPS's at more than a few hundred yards, you have made a huge breakthrough in RF propagation.... I would wait for a Nobel Prize..