Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

TPMS, Aluminum Wheels & Steel Valve Stems

I'm in a market for a tire monitoring system for my trailer. Most TPMS manufacturers recommend steel valve stems for use with their products that use the stem mounted sensors. Looking online for steel stems some say that these can be very difficult to install on alloy rims. Looking at my wheels I can see there is very little clearance to get a socket on there. Has anyone installed metal stems on wheels such as these, and if so, was there any trouble doing so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	120280  

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #2

The camper I have now came with metal stems but the two before that had rubber stems. I had 507 TST TPMS and I never had any trouble. My truck tires have rubber stems and I have the TST 507 on them and I have 85,000 miles on the truck and I have never had a problem. I started on this trip and I was checking the air in the Silverado and was missing one. I'll order a replacement when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #3

You might be better off trying to find a system the uses the Ford type sensor. Ie one that is attached to the rim by a band around the center of the rim
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

No way I like the TST 507

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Don

Happily using the 507 non-flowthru system

After much research on this issue, I finally decided on the 507 non-flow thru system for my RV. I have rubber valve stems and have used it for several trips with no problems what so ever. The folks at Truck System Technologies worked with me and assured me that the non-flow thru sensors were perfect for rubber stems and would cause no problems. Just to assuage my fears, I purchased and installed a set of metal valve stem covers. They only cost 4 or 5 dollars for a set. Again, I have had no problems with air loss or any other problems with them. The flow-thru sensors would most likely require metal stems. I may look at that when I get new tires in a year or so. The TST 507 us an extremely good system. I love it. Happy Camping!
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Those wheels look similar to the wheels on our trailer. I used Haltec TV-575-HP stems on mine (ordered from Grainger). The nut is recessed but does not need all that much torque so you can tighten it with non-standard methods (tweezers or needle nose pliers for example).

There are also metal stems that insert from the outside and the nut is placed on the inside of the rim. example... Vs-8 - BlackJack Tire Repair

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #7

I visited some tire shops today and they told me the pictured valve stem should work. It seems a little short but I was told it should be the same length as the rubber stem I have now. Now to order the TPMS. I think I will go with the TST 507 with cap sensors since many people have used it successfully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	120404  

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 09-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

*HERE* is about the best pricing I found, PLUS an extra year's warranty.

Scroll down and pick your system.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
That stem actually looks long to me, but I did intentionally search out the shortest stems I could find in an effort to keep the sensors from sticking out of the wheel too far.

I ordered my TST507 through infotechrvsolutions ($220 for 4 sensors). They were drop shipped directly from TST. Mine arrived without the installation tool. I emailed Infotech...they nearly instantly apologized and called TST who sent out some tools the same day. Great service from both companies. I chose to order from Infotech as they were slightly cheaper than the TST listed price. I have heard of people calling TST directly and getting price matching from them.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #10

I use them on rubber stems with no problems....so far
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #11

Napa carries the stems that will fit your rims, I got mine from them and use the flow through sensor, weight is like a 1/8 oz more. You would curb your tire before hitting that sensor...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #12

I have used the STS 507 RV system on rubber stems for three years with no problems. I have the cap sensors. Just now replacing the batteries. I was told they last about a year, but I take mine off when in storage. No pressure, no power.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
I visited some tire shops today and they told me the pictured valve stem should work. It seems a little short but I was told it should be the same length as the rubber stem I have now. Now to order the TPMS. I think I will go with the TST 507 with cap sensors since many people have used it successfully.
I have recently put these on my 26RR with steel rims. They seem to be working well. The rubber stems allowed the sensors to flop around and they even left marks on the edge of the rim where they hit. Eventually that would turn into a disaster. They had done 5,500 miles like that but I thought that was stretching my luck. The TPMS works well but one is very slow to register each time I start the truck.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #14

I had rubber valve stems for a few months and they worked well with the sensors. THEN I had a blowout. From the uneven spinning of that blowout wheel until I was able to stop, that sensor was gone. Had to purchase a new sensor. Now have metal valve stems on ALL wheels. Discount/America's Tire put metal valve stems on all my wheels for free. TT and TV along with my free wheel balance and tire rotation. Should have asked them about them earlier.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12345 View Post
After much research on this issue, I finally decided on the 507 non-flow thru system for my RV. I have rubber valve stems and have used it for several trips with no problems what so ever. The folks at Truck System Technologies worked with me and assured me that the non-flow thru sensors were perfect for rubber stems and would cause no problems. Just to assuage my fears, I purchased and installed a set of metal valve stem covers. They only cost 4 or 5 dollars for a set. Again, I have had no problems with air loss or any other problems with them. The flow-thru sensors would most likely require metal stems. I may look at that when I get new tires in a year or so. The TST 507 us an extremely good system. I love it. Happy Camping!
100% agree. The 507 system is the one. I don't have metal valve stems, don't need them with the 507 system as long as you don't get the flow through sensors. Mine have the anti-theft jacket and even with those no metal valve stems are needed. I've been using the TST 507 system for several years and they've saved me many times.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #16
RiderBloke

TPMS, Aluminum Wheels & Steel Valve Stems

The TST info says about the 507 sensors: "No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.
The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems."

Those suckers (which is what I have) wobble enormously.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #17

Some/many(?) alloy wheels are not suited for true metal, bolt-on valve stems. What my tire shop recommended, and I went with when I upgraded tires, are what they called "high pressure" snap-in (not bolt-in) stems. These have an all rubber grommet base with a brass stem that resists bending like an all rubber stem. They give me confidence and, so far, they are working well with my non-flow through 507s.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #18

I had America's tire install the stems pictured in post #7. They then balanced the wheels with the TST 507 cap sensors installed. The $52 for the job was worth it for peace of mind. Thanks for the responses everyone!

2015 GMC Sierra 1500

Tags
aluminum, wheel