Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #21

As stated in the other thread, Hawkshead Talon was the only one I could find, (that answered me back or was in their manual), that warned of loss of signal quickly. They stated it will chirp when the signal is missing in 2-3 minutes. The EEZTIRE system, lets you know in about 1/2 hr. The TST system is an hour. Unfortunately the one you have currently was the worst, the TireTrakker manual states it won’t alarm until 3hrs.

To qualify my data, The only one I saw with my own eyes is the TST because it is the one I bought before I knew all this. The rest is gleaned from manuals and emails to the companies. I still might have bought the TST because of the active TST members of this forum, Mike and Chip who give a lot of support here.

Want to add one more thing, sorry this is so long. The tire flying off is one thing that I am less worried about. The thing that bothers me more is an intermittent signal for whatever reason. If it is just intermittent enough to come back in an hour, (using the TST system), you would never know that you have an intermittent signal. Worst case a lot of bad things with bearings and brakes can happen in that time period.

Good luck with your decision.
[emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #22

Once again, thanks to all who are replying. The discussion re: lost signal is interesting and, if indeed some of the manufacturers are considering a quicker lost signal routine in the future, I may just put off my purchase. I have found a replacement sensor for around $35 for the TireTraker I currently own so maybe I'll just replace it and keep using the TT for the time being.

Since I didn't see the tire roll by but did just happen to see it in the driver's side mirror as it careened across the highway, I may not have noticed it for miles otherwise which sounds like the best any of the current TPMS systems could report. Also, there's even a better chance I may have missed seeing it entirely had it been on the passenger side.

Once again, your input has been much appreciated and is helping with my decision...thank you.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
https://eezrvproduct.com/

I have used this for 3 years, no complaints. Alerts to loss of signal by a beep every (estimated) 30 seconds.
You may get a beep every 30 seconds, but that is 1 hour AFTER the initial signal loss has occurred.

From page 17 of their owners instructions
"
- There will be an audible single “chirp” and the tire (symbol) will flash if the monitor has not received a reading from that tire after 1 hour."
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post

The thing that bothers me more is an intermittent signal for whatever reason. If it is just intermittent enough to come back in an hour, (using the TST system), you would never know that you have an intermittent signal. Worst case a lot of bad things with bearings and brakes can happen in that time period.
I also am concerned with the risk associated with an intermittent signal. I have the TST system as well but haven't put sensors on the new trailer yet. But with regard to bearings and brakes, I have learned that temp readings on almost all systems are pretty much useless. I used external sensors on the truck rears but TST internal sensors on my previous trailer. A sensor sitting on the valve stem, spinning at 60+ mph in ambient air is very ineffective at really detecting high temps related to brakes, bearings or even for a failing tire. Sun and wind would cause distorted (+ or - ) and erratic temp readings on the truck tires while the internal sensors were more stable and capable of detecting an abnormal condition.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #25

TPMS

I've used the TST TM-507SE for almost 2 years. Have been very pleased with it, but it doesn't have an alarm for when you lose the signal to one or more sensors. I don't know if their newer models do or not.
rvhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
I also am concerned with the risk associated with an intermittent signal. I have the TST system as well but haven't put sensors on the new trailer yet. But with regard to bearings and brakes, I have learned that temp readings on almost all systems are pretty much useless. I used external sensors on the truck rears but TST internal sensors on my previous trailer. A sensor sitting on the valve stem, spinning at 60+ mph in ambient air is very ineffective at really detecting high temps related to brakes, bearings or even for a failing tire. Sun and wind would cause distorted (+ or - ) and erratic temp readings on the truck tires while the internal sensors were more stable and capable of detecting an abnormal condition.

In my experience our TST system did warn me when we had a brake failure. It alarmed and then I could watch that wheel increase a couple of degrees every ~5 minutes. I think comparing to the other wheels is the key. But if the bad wheel isn’t reporting for an hour, not a good situation.

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #27

I would think with my TST system if you were to lose a wheel and couldn’t find the wheel. You might could do this. After you find out you lost a wheel is turn your system off, turn around turn your system back on and drive back the way you came. When the system picks up the sensor stop and look for the tire
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #28
Denver, CO

This was the BEST post ever. Hysterical. Need a tricorder. Or or or put a iPhone on each wheel and do a FIND MY IPHONE thing. That should work really good. Use an old 4s don't cost much. Don't do pressure but you'll find the wandering wheel liketly split.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Saw this same discussion on another forum a month or so back. Consensus was that no system has the immediate warning of signal loss. At least one manufacturer was looking into a way of including this "feature". Don't expect it to be available for a while though...
It seems to me if they made the system that sensitive it would be a PITA by giving you lost sensors every time one failed to update.

What a nightmare that would make a trip, pulling over every 10-20 minutes or so to check if all 4 tires were on camper. Very quickly you would begin turning it off just to stop it beeping.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
It seems to me if they made the system that sensitive it would be a PITA by giving you lost sensors every time one failed to update.

What a nightmare that would make a trip, pulling over every 10-20 minutes or so to check if all 4 tires were on camper. Very quickly you would begin turning it off just to stop it beeping.

I would think if it is loosing signal something is wrong and it should be fixed? Also, I can see all 4 wheels on our trailer using the mirrors. I do understand where it would get annoying though.

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I would think with my TST system if you were to lose a wheel and couldn’t find the wheel. You might could do this. After you find out you lost a wheel is turn your system off, turn around turn your system back on and drive back the way you came. When the system picks up the sensor stop and look for the tire
If each sensor only transmits data every 4 min., then you would have to be within less than 50 ft of the tire at exactly the time it transmitted.

I like the old iphone idea or maybe a bag of breadcrumbs attached to each wheel leaving a trail.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
If each sensor only transmits data every 4 min., then you would have to be within less than 50 ft of the tire at exactly the time it transmitted.

I like the old iphone idea or maybe a bag of breadcrumbs attached to each wheel leaving a trail.
Doesn't the sensor also transmit if it sees a pressure drop of XX psig?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #33
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Doesn't the sensor also transmit if it sees a pressure drop of XX psig?
Yes, but it has to read the pressure drop, a lost signal is different and is handled by the processor differently or not at all.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Yes, but it has to read the pressure drop, a lost signal is different and is handled by the processor differently or not at all.
Ah, he was discussing finding the lost tire, not seeing a change in the tire still on the rig.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
I would think if it is loosing signal something is wrong and it should be fixed? Also, I can see all 4 wheels on our trailer using the mirrors. I do understand where it would get annoying though.

I can’t see all four tires on my camper but that’s why I depend on my TPMS. I don’t think a system can be made that will let you know if you lose a tire.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 AM   #36

. After reading this thread, I think I'll just stick to my tried and true method of inspecting the tires and temps every 2 hours when we stop. Sounds a lot less aggravating, and I can use the TPMS money to buy something more useful

Besides, Liz has been after me to buy an EMS after reading some RV magazine that had an article about how every RV park in America has bad power. *SIGH* . $$$ well spent to make her content. Maybe........

You would think 40 years w/o either system would be proof enough of them not being necessary.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #37

I bought a TPMS. Friend of mine had a tire that got a nail in it and was loosing pressure fairly fast. Without his TPMS, it would have gone completely flat and torn itself to shreds.

On a boat trailer I have, I put on a tire that I knew had low pressure and forgot to fill it up before my trip. It did end up in shreds. TPMS would have prevented that.

I am not worried about the TPMS catching a wheel that comes flying off. Correct torquing of lug nuts with a torque wrench is the best to prevent that.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #38
Truck System Technologies Rep

If anyone would like to discuss TST TPMS I am always available at 210-420-0132

TST is very reliable, and with our Customer Support, and 3 year warranty makes us stand apart from other systems in the Industry. At the end of the day having a TPMS is important, and provides an added layer of comfort, and safety.
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132

Thanks,
Mike Benson
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #39
Commercial Member

What is a TPMS suppose to do?

It seems that if you are getting intermittent signals then you need to check the batteries of the sensors. I have eliminated such a problem by just putting new batteries in.

Alternately on long RV (Class-A) or sensors on a Toad or a long Trailer, you probably just need a repeater.

RE time to warn. There is an easy check. Just unscrew each sensor and have someone in the driver seat tap the horn when they get a warning signal on the monitor. This will answer the question of how long or even "if" there is a warning and if your system is working as expected.

Tire goes "walk-a-bout". Sounds like no system currently warns when the signal is just lost and there was no loss of pressure before the tire/wheel/sensor went out of range. You can do a quick test. Simply take your monitor in hand and start walking away. Do you ever get a warning when maybe 100' away?

TPMS are designed to warn when the pressure drops below your low infl level or the temperature rises above the high temperature level or less likely the tire pressure rises above it's upper pressure level. While some may want other capabilities I am not aware of systems doing anything other tht the above.

If you want constant contact sensor to monitor I would expect battery life to be days or hours not months.

How would you identify the difference between a weak battery not sending a signal vs the wheel with inflated tire going "walk-a-bout"?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you want constant contact sensor to monitor I would expect battery life to be days or hours not months.
Totally agree. Which is why I only expect it to warn about low pressure...not if the tire falls off!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tpms