Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 11:32 PM   #1

TPMS Pays for itself

I have always check trailer tire pressure prior to a trip and discounted the need for a TPMS, but decided earlier this year to get one. I think it just paid for itself. About 45 minutes into a 6 hour trip the TPMS alarmed that my rear driver side trailer tire was low. By the time I found a safe place to pull off the tire was a good 20 pounds low. Walk back to take a look and can hear air hissing out. Put on the spare and was back in business in 30 mintues.

I always thought I would notice a low tire but I felt no change in the handling or drive of my truck and trailer. Without the TPMS I suspect I would have over loaded the front trailer tire and had a blow out.

Robert Rushing
2016 2500
2016 Surveyor 32bhds
RnRushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #2

My story exactly!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:19 AM   #3
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Our story too. 3 times in 3 years.

Once we got rid of the original tires it seems to have waned, but we sold the trailer before the new tires had a chance to get many miles.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

Just bought a Tire Minder system from Amazon, looking forward to it .
Rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

TPMS

What's involved and how difficult is it to install a TPMS on a 27' travel trailer with tandem axles? Thanks!

Mo
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRushin View Post
I always thought I would notice a low tire but I felt no change in the handling or drive of my truck and trailer. Without the TPMS I suspect I would have over loaded the front trailer tire and had a blow out.

Robert Rushing
2016 2500
2016 Surveyor 32bhds
I used to think the same thing, but I got a TPMS and it has relieved a lot of stress and worry on those longer trips.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
What's involved and how difficult is it to install a TPMS on a 27' travel trailer with tandem axles? Thanks!

Mo
I have TST 507. It took about 20 minutes to set up the 1st time. Bought the new color monitor and set up about 10 minutes. Customer support from TST is fantastic. Mike Benson is the sales mgr and has an account here. He provides his phone number too.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
TPMS------------------------

Saved my BUNNS twice in 10 Months.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
I can only talk about the TST 507 RV flo-thru system

takes about 15-30 minutes... screw on the sensors to your tire valves ( you should have metal stems with the flo-thru sensors, although I did not for 18 months) and then program the in-cab monitor...

order from Chip... he is great
will answer any questions

TST Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
LSA pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
Our story too. 3 times in 3 years.

Once we got rid of the original tires it seems to have waned, but we sold the trailer before the new tires had a chance to get many miles.
My story too. If you're towing without a TPMS, you're gambling with disaster, get one! They should be required.
palmettoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #11

My new truck has a feature included that allows TPMS on upto 3 axle’s .. I think I better invest in the wheel units.
ge6280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #12

TPMS

Is monitoring tire pressure adequate in determining the condition of a tire? Obviously, observing the condition of the side walls is important too, but aren't there other reasons for tire failure than tire pressure and condition of the side wall?

When I read all tires should be replaced after 6 - 10 years regardless (of pressure and side wall condition), I wonder what the other factors are that dictate that! And I'm wondering if there are other factors why the TST system is so strongly recommended when it only measures pressure? Need all of your expertise to convince me this is the way to go! Thanks.

Mo
Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #13

TPMS Pays for itself

My story exactly! Saved my butt also warning was long before a blowout.
2017 Nights Camped = 24 and Counting
Joefire50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #14

I have the EEZ Go system on my truck and Fifth Wheel. Ironically the one time I had the alarm go off, it was caused by the flow through sensor. I had rubber high pressure valve stems and the constant force from the sensor caused the stem to crack. I was a few miles from my destination so made it and got it fixed without incident. I have since replaced all of my valve stems with solid metal valve stems. The system alerted me before I ruined an expensive Michelin tire. Already paid for itself. (Even though it caused it, but partly because of my own stupidity.) If you go with the flow through sensors be sure to replace your valve stems with solid metal high pressure stems.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #15

x2 on commanchecreek. The last failure picked up on the tpms was my rubber high pressure stem cracked. I have tst 507. Use metal stems.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
Is monitoring tire pressure adequate in determining the condition of a tire? Obviously, observing the condition of the side walls is important too, but aren't there other reasons for tire failure than tire pressure and condition of the side wall?

When I read all tires should be replaced after 6 - 10 years regardless (of pressure and side wall condition), I wonder what the other factors are that dictate that! And I'm wondering if there are other factors why the TST system is so strongly recommended when it only measures pressure? Need all of your expertise to convince me this is the way to go! Thanks.

Mo
The TST I have monitors temperature as well.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #17
Site Team

The TST systems also monitor tire temp and although this is not an exact science, you get a fairly good heads up of potential overheating of tires, bearings and brakes. At least better than no monitoring.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The TST systems also monitor tire temp and although this is not an exact science, you get a fairly good heads up of potential overheating of tires, bearings and brakes. At least better than no monitoring.
Yeah I can see temperatures play a huge part with all the running gear and monitoring it can reveal some possible failures other than tires. And yes, it’s more reliable than guessing the condition of all those moving parts you’re relying on! Thanks for a lot to think about!

Mo
Old 11-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #19

IMO,

It is a combination of several items that cause tire failures. Driving an 18 wheeler for several years allowed me to experience may tire failures. Most were not age related because you wear them out long before age becomes a factor. We ask much more from our RV's tires because we don't normally wear them out from high mileage. Road debris, ie. bolts, screws and other foreign objects are usually what cause a tire to develop a slow leak that normally goes undetected by the human eye. When that tire begins to lose air pressure then the sidewall of that tire and any other tires on the same side begin to have increased sidewall flex. Sidewall flex creates heat which can increase tire pressure causing air to escape faster. If the leaking tire goes undetected then you will have a failure or two. I believe TPMS does a good job monitoring tire pressures but temperatures are important too. I like to use a hand help non contact infrared temperature sensor to monitor temperatures on all my tires, trailer wheel bearings too. It takes only a few minutes to walk around your vehicle and trailer when you stop for a break or fuel stop measuring side wall temps. What I look for is a temperature variance in one or more tires or hubs. Obviously temperatures will be different based on weather, load and speed. It's the one with higher temperatures that I'm looking for. I've noticed the other tire on the same side will normally have an elevated temperature too. It's the tire(s) carrying the weight of the low tire.
ge6280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #20

Within a week of installing my eeze tire tpms , my alarm went off, the right rear tire was losing air. Tires are new. I took it in to check it out and i had a nail as thick as my pinky about 3 " long. That was 9,000 miles ago and I now rely on my TPMS on a daily basis. Its peace of mind, the best money you can spend and could save your life. RV's are heavy and this is a huge safety necessity.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms