Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

TPMS Recommendation?

OK, I'm convinced a TPMS is a worthwhile safeguard and are looking to purchase. I've researched and there are a ton of options. Looking for some advice. It will be for the travel trailer only. Four tires. The truck has it's own individual tire monitoring system. Pros and cons of flow through sensors? Do you have to change out valve stems to install? Are they easy to install yourself or do you need tech help?

The other question is the display. Some appear to work through smart phone app. Others have their own display. Pro and cons?

Any recommendations will be appreciated from those who have used these.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Site Team

We use a TST 507 with flow thru sensors. I originally used the standard sensors but removing them was a issue on our rear duals. The flow thru sensors are just easier to use for me.

TPMS sensors should not be mounted on rubber valve stems as the valve stem can flex and fail due to centrifugal force and the sensors weight. One piece steel valve stems are the preferred solution.

The TST system is easy to install and they offer excellent tech support if you need help.

We upgraded to the new TST 507 color monitor. I'm not a fan of using my smart phone for "mission critical" things like a TPMS display. I'd probably screw up the TPMS display answering a call...

Do a forum search on TPMS as they are several threads here with a lot of good info...

I'm very happy with TST, and their new color monitor, and highly recommend them.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #3

We use exactly what RedLdr1 uses: TST 507 with flow-through sensors. We, too, up-graded to the color monitor. MUCH easier to see in bright daylight. I'm pretty sure this system only comes with the new monitor now. We have been all over the US and eastern Canada with ours. I have the utmost confidence in it.

Good luck in your search, but I highly recommend the TST 507.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Senior Senior Member

I have the Tireminder system. Affordable and works like a charm. Real peace of mind when running down the road.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

TST 507 RV with 4 flo-thru sensors

I drove for thousands of miles over two seasons with rubber valve stems with no issues, but did change to metal stems when I changed to Endurance tires last May. I used a short piece of 1/2 inch thick foam stuck to the wheel rim between the stem and the rim to help support and limit outward travel of the rubber stems and it worked for me for two seasons.

The mono screen is alright but I like the larger color screen after using it on my last trip. You can charge internal monitor battery for about an hour and it will be cordless on your dash for at least 8 hours. Uses standard USB hookup for power otherwise. You should NOT need the repeater if your trailer is less than 35 feet. I secure the screen to my dash with a piece of sticky-back velcro.

Buy from Chip at greatrvproducts... he stands behind the product...

https://www.greatrvproducts.com/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

The TST 507 is the way to go. One of the reps monitors the forum and will chime in from time to time. Customer service is great.

When I bought my system in 2014 my at the time TT had China Bombs with rubber valve stems. I was advised by TST to not use the flow thru on the rubber stems.

Also, I might add, there is a member on here that had another brand. He pulled in to Bamaganza last year and one of his China Bombs has blown apart. The TPMS he had was still showing about 60 pounds of air pressure on the blown tire.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I also use the TST507 system with new color monitor. Works great and I did not go to metal valve stems. I removed the anti thief feature which reduces the size of the monitor and less weight no issues in year and half. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #8

TST it is!

The 507 was the one I was looking at after reading reviews, doing research and watching the video on their website. Your almost unanimous replies confirm it! Thanks much to all who replied!

Old 04-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
TST 507 RV with 4 flo-thru sensors

I drove for thousands of miles over two seasons with rubber valve stems with no issues, but did change to metal stems when I changed to Endurance tires last May. I used a short piece of 1/2 inch thick foam stuck to the wheel rim between the stem and the rim to help support and limit outward travel of the rubber stems and it worked for me for two seasons.

The mono screen is alright but I like the larger color screen after using it on my last trip. You can charge internal monitor battery for about an hour and it will be cordless on your dash for at least 8 hours. Uses standard USB hookup for power otherwise. You should NOT need the repeater if your trailer is less than 35 feet. I secure the screen to my dash with a piece of sticky-back velcro.

Buy from Chip at greatrvproducts... he stands behind the product...

https://www.greatrvproducts.com/
And thank you RSDATA! I went to the website you suggested and they're on sale right now. Perfect!

Old 04-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #10

I have used TST 507 non flow thu sensors, I took off the locks and I have never used the metal stems. Well my camper tires came with metal stems. I had the original monitor and I have the color monitor now and I just can’t get use to it, the psi is on the right side of the new color monitor. The color monitor. Is nice. I like the TST 507. I normally put the right amount of air in each tire at the start of camping season and then I don’t check the air again unless I lose air. I trust the TST 507
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #11

I have the TST Monochrome non-flow through sensors system and it is good. If I were to buy today, I would do a lot more research though and probably would look at buying the Hawkshead Talon System instead. The main reason is within 5 minutes it lets you know if you are missing a signal, (this is from an email they sent me, I have not seen it with my own eyes). It takes an hour with the TST, and many other systems out there too before it warns you there is no signal. I know others are going to chime in say that they are not worried about not knowing they have no signal for an hour, which for most of the time is true. I just think if the system is capable of warning you when there is no signal, why not? It could mean the difference of a brake or bearing overheating and you not knowing anything for an hour until the system finally warns you there is no signal. I just want to buy what I believe hits all the requirements of a great TPMS system.

Having written that, there is the very big upside to the TST, you have an Employee of TST, Mike Benson, who visits this forum all the time and is very helpful. I hope one day TST reprograms their monitor to give a warning sooner than an hour. If you do go with a TST, make sure you install the repeater, even if you think you don't need it. Cheap insurance to install since it comes with the system.

On a side note, if anyone is interested I have a 2 year old, 4 Wheel TST System for sale. I will be putting it in the classifieds and then if there is no interest on Craigslist in the next day or 2. I need to find the anti-theft covers that I took off a few months after purchasing the system. On mine, after a few months on the road, the road grime got inside and the sensor cap would turn when the anti theft cover turned so it rendered the anti-theft covers useless anyway.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Site Team

I have had TST TPMS monitors on my last three trailers. Originally the 510 and 507 recently. Quality system and superior customer service.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
I have the TST Monochrome non-flow through sensors system and it is good. If I were to buy today, I would do a lot more research though and probably would look at buying the Hawkshead Talon System instead. The main reason is within 5 minutes it lets you know if you are missing a signal, (this is from an email they sent me, I have not seen it with my own eyes). It takes an hour with the TST, and many other systems out there too before it warns you there is no signal. I know others are going to chime in say that they are not worried about not knowing they have no signal for an hour, which for most of the time is true. I just think if the system is capable of warning you when there is no signal, why not? It could mean the difference of a brake or bearing overheating and you not knowing anything for an hour until the system finally warns you there is no signal. I just want to buy what I believe hits all the requirements of a great TPMS system.

Having written that, there is the very big upside to the TST, you have an Employee of TST, Mike Benson, who visits this forum all the time and is very helpful. I hope one day TST reprograms their monitor to give a warning sooner than an hour. If you do go with a TST, make sure you install the repeater, even if you think you don't need it. Cheap insurance to install since it comes with the system.

On a side note, if anyone is interested I have a 2 year old, 4 Wheel TST System for sale. I will be putting it in the classifieds and then if there is no interest on Craigslist in the next day or 2. I need to find the anti-theft covers that I took off a few months after purchasing the system. On mine, after a few months on the road, the road grime got inside and the sensor cap would turn when the anti theft cover turned so it rendered the anti-theft covers useless anyway.

I tell everyone to get a TPMS that you trust because it’s piece of mind. I went to HawksHead website and it really looks like a TST. Nowhere in there did I see anything about the monitor would let you know in 5 minuets if you lost a tire. Also they require a repeater if your length is 45 foot or more. Also if you buy from someone else you have no warranty plus you only have a one year warranty, with TST it’s three years. I have used my TST for right many years and it’s always worked great. But whatever you do just get a TPMS
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #14

I've used both Tireminder and TST with a color monitor. I now prefer the TST primarily due to the TST's antenna. I was always worried about bending or breaking the skinny antenna on the Tireminder. Other than that, the Tireminder did the job. Antenna on the color TST seems to be indestructible.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I tell everyone to get a TPMS that you trust because it’s piece of mind. I went to HawksHead website and it really looks like a TST. Nowhere in there did I see anything about the monitor would let you know in 5 minuets if you lost a tire. Also they require a repeater if your length is 45 foot or more. Also if you buy from someone else you have no warranty plus you only have a one year warranty, with TST it’s three years. I have used my TST for right many years and it’s always worked great. But whatever you do just get a TPMS
On order. $297 on sale with no tax and free shipping, includes the color monitor and repeater. Greatrvproducts.com.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #16

You will like the TST 507. Great product and great customer service. Mike and Chip monitor this site and at least the Montana Owners forum as well. My 5er is 43' and I did upgrade the color monitor and added a repeater. Have had the system a ,long time. Next battery change I'll take the locks off the NON-flowthru sensors.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #17
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Hi Smiletwice,

My name is Mike Benson with TST TPMS. Feel free to contact me anytime at 210-420-0132 with any questions you may have regarding your new TST TPMS.
When you order from Chip at Great RV you will receive a 3 year warranty.

If you would like us to walk you through set-up please call 770-889-9102

Thank you!

Mike Benson

TST TPMS

210-420-0132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
And thank you RSDATA! I went to the website you suggested and they're on sale right now. Perfect!
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Thank you Spock!

Gectism,

Thank you for recognizing me! Unfortunately the Hawkshead does not alert you right away if you loose signal. TST is always looking to add solutions to our current technology. We hope one day to be first to come to market with this technology. Right now our system is designed to monitor PSI, and Temp. We alert on Fast Leak if you loose 2 PSI or more in under a minute
LOW PSI if any tire drops to your low PSI setting, High PSI if any tire heats up over your High PSI Limit, and High Temp is pre-set to alarm at 158 degrees F. We do now include the repeater with every kit, to ensure there is no drop out caused by distance and/or interference.

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #19

mbenson1234...

thanks for the info and update

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #20
Certified Curmudgeon

I would not recommend TST TPMS with 507 flow thru sensor. I was formerly a huge proponent of the product and received fantastic service from Chip at Great RV Products.
However, over time (3+ years) the casing of the 507 sensors deteriorate, became brittle and cracked causing the battery cover to seperate and the battery to eject. I contacted TST directly and was informed that I could not get new casings. The 507 sensors are not cheap and I do not consider them disposable however I had already purchased two replacements.
I posted earlier on the subject in this forum section, including photos of the trashed sensor casings. At that time mbenson1234 interjected and asked who I contacted. I gave him that persons name and phone number at TST. His response; you should have contacted me. Gee Wiz, thats helpful!

Since my TST monitor failed this past Summer, I replaced the entire system with the Tireminder Smart TPMS. It does not have flow through sensors however they do have an adaptor. I really like the TM system and how it works via bluetooth.

I purchased another TST 507 system in 2016 as a xmas gift for a friend. I regret that now but he has all of the remaining functioning sensors I had to use as replacements.
I hope he gets more use out of it than I did.

Now if mbenson1234 would like to challenge anything I said as not being true, please feel free to do so. I would be happy to post full documentation to fully support what I said. Otherwise, please save the claptrap for somebody who does not know better.

Tags
tpms