Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

TPMS Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
I have the TST 507 flow thru system....running with rubber valve stem but I did order from Amazon a set of chrome valve stem covers to help hold the rubber stem more rigid....everything, so far , has worked fine....I will go to metal stems when we make our next tire purchase....

Exactly the same for me except I have regular caps. Over 7k miles with no issues.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytraveler View Post
Interesting. I am pretty sure the TST web site recommends the metal valve stems and explains why. Glad you have had no issues.

I called and talked to a Tech at TST about the metal stem holders, since I had rubber stems..... He said rubber stems will give you no (NO) problems.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I called and talked to a Tech at TST about the metal stem holders, since I had rubber stems..... He said rubber stems will give you no (NO) problems.
Thank you for this. I was thinking the same thing, why spend unneeded money. I am having a hard enough time justifying the need for TPMS.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Thank you for this. I was thinking the same thing, why spend unneeded money. I am having a hard enough time justifying the need for TPMS.

I have the 507 for my truck and camper. I have had two blow out on my truck(s) over the years that did thousands in damage. And two other belt separations on my truck that were caught before the tire 'went'.

I have a bunch of 'flats' and 'blowouts' over the years on my campers. I believe that most of the 'blowouts' were 'caused' by a leak and not knowing that I had a flat.... drove on until the tire flew apart. (yes, I am one of 'those' who has a big truck and pulls the camper and 'not know that it is there').

Over the years, from the camper damage, tire, rim, hub, truck damage.... AND THE STRESS of continually look in the mirrors at your camper tire (and having a hard time seeing the tires in the mirrors).

I could have easily bought a dozen or so TST systems by now.

the stress level going down is worth the cost.

Early this year on a trip, my tires psi (to me were getting to high) and we stopped and let some air out of each tire. The rest of the trip the psi never went lower than what we First Started Out With....

The cost is worth it if it saves one blown tire....Wish I had the 507 20years ago.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytraveler View Post
Interesting. I am pretty sure the TST web site recommends the metal valve stems and explains why. Glad you have had no issues.

I called them up and was told you did not have to have metal stems. If you had the flow-thur they advised you to have metal stems. I have the screw on sensors and I took the locks off my sensors. I have never had a problem, I now have metal stems on camper but that was because the tires on new camper had them on when I brought camper

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Good for you, but I predict you will have a problem in the near future if you tow very much.

Well let's see I have 75,000 miles on truck and no metal stems. I put more than twenty thousand miles on last camper and never had a problem. I took that camper to Yellowstone from NC and back and never lost any air, no wait I was running nitrogen in those tires

Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

I will start with, I use a TireMinder system... But, I just changed my stems to metal after (I think) using the rubber ones allowed the sensors to hit the rim and damaged them. I had posted a pic in a similar to this thread showing where it had worn away the spray paint on the rim (I painted them black) where they were hitting.

It cost me $35 to have them all changed at the trailer place to metal while in for a re-pack on the bearings and inspection.

EDIT: Seeing you post Spock, makes me wonder if it just depends on the design of the sensor.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #18

My sensors stick out past the rim. But I don't lose any air. When I have the tires balanced and rotated I take the sensors off but that's the only time they come off.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #19
Pickin' & Campin'

TST recommended to me via a phone call before purchase that if you get the flow through (bigger/heavier) you 'should' switch to metal stems. They indicated non-flow through (smaller/lighter) should be fine on the stock valve stems provided the stems are not excessively long in length. I bought the non-flow through and also removed the anti-theft feature (makes them even smaller/lighter) and have had no problems what so ever.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My sensors stick out past the rim. But I don't lose any air. When I have the tires balanced and rotated I take the sensors off but that's the only time they come off.

That might be the difference between them hitting or missing the rim. Mine sit just bellow the level and hit the inner bead area.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote