Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
treaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 158
A good deal of these failures are due to tread separation, or simple defects in the tire, like sidewall blowouts. The another large number are caused by either road debris or hitting something like a pothole. A TPMS will help in no way with this, other than as I said, notifying the driver it has happened.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited CCLB CTD
2014 Columbus 320RS
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

The OP's 1st post doesn't state any facts about damage.

What is your disagreement and with what?
The OP discussed damage here: Bad Tire? Lucky Outcome?

I disagree with the first paragraph of what I quoted (which was not your post in case that was missed).
__________________

__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #33
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
We can't do anything about defects in tires or road hazards, but from my understanding, tread separation is aggravated by temperature which is usually caused by under inflation for the load. Overloading is a separate issue.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,426
My understanding is that many tire failures occur because a tire slowly loses pressure because of a small puncture and eventually overheats and blows. This is precisely the type of thing a TPMS will warn you about.

Oh, and another vote for the TST 507.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #35
Too old to be too smart
 
SpringerPop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La La Land
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
Would think that if a brake was sticking or a bearing was getting hot, the sensor would indicate something was up.
From experience I can tell you that a failing bearing won't be detected by a TPMS.

However, I sure like being able to see the pressures in the tires are within the limits I have set for them.

As Old Coot mentioned, there's not much we can do about road debris, but the TST might give one enough time to get off the highway safely.

I have a -507 system, and would do it all over again if I had to.

I find that the YouTube videos are almost better than the manual for getting a system up and playing.

Pop
__________________
2005 Terry 250RKS, perfect for the two of us and the pups.
It recently replaced our Flagstaff 21FB (which we still have)

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
treaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
My understanding is that many tire failures occur because a tire slowly loses pressure because of a small puncture and eventually overheats and blows. This is precisely the type of thing a TPMS will warn you about.

Oh, and another vote for the TST 507.

No. This does happen, and is more common in cars. But not (common) in trailers.
__________________
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited CCLB CTD
2014 Columbus 320RS
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
jim44646's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massillon. Ohio
Posts: 173
__________________
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #38
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
No. This does happen, and is more common in cars. But not (common) in trailers.
Where do you get this data? In my experience, trailer tires are notorious for this exact phenomenon.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
treaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Where do you get this data? In my experience, trailer tires are notorious for this exact phenomenon.
NTSB. Do your research.
__________________
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited CCLB CTD
2014 Columbus 320RS
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
treaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 158
To be clear, under/over inflation is a problem. But look at all of the trailer tire recalls. You do not recall a tire for inflation issues.

TPMS's are great. I have one on all of my vehicles, as standard from the factory, and I have them on my current trailer. I just know what info it provides, and that they in no way alleviate the need for careful & regular tire inspection.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited CCLB CTD
2014 Columbus 320RS
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.