Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #11

I was told by a local Discount Tire manager that Carlisle has improved their trailer tire, that’s why Discount stopped selling them but has picked them backup. What, if anything, was upgraded or fixed I have no idea. I’ve gone from a 14 inch C tire to a 15 E Carlisle and am hoping the increase/overkill in weight will help. Time will tell (this coming weekend!!!!)

Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #12

I am now the proud owner of 5 new Maxxis tires. 10 ply radials vs the old 6 ply.

Steve

Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #13

As a tire guy I can tell you with certainty that maxxis currently makes the best trailer tire. They are the only company that I see consistently getting five years of life. Just keep em inflated and covered if they are in direct sunlight.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #14

And an FYI. Carlisle used to have an american made model. I think it was the USA trail. They were the only good Carlisle. Every trailer tire offered is now made overseas including the Goodyear marathon ( which used to be the best ) since Goodyear started making them in china I've had to warranty dozens of them for seperations. I no longer sell them if I don't have too.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #15

Thanks jns, nothing like info from someone directly involved in the tire business.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Face the music folks you have 3 choices as all ST tires are made in the Far East. 1. Park the camper, 2. Switch to LT Tires/wheels, 3. Run the Far East tires of a higher load rating.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #17

Its not so much load rating. Its age of tire and quality of construction. Tires will seperate on your spare wheel as well. Heat is the major catalyst. When a radial tire ( radial = steel belted) tire is heated up the steel expands. Then cools off it contracts again. The rubber and belt package needs to be pliable. It needs to be able to stretch. Third world manufacturing techniques are improving but are not quite there yet. So yes putting a Lt tire is a good idea except that they don't make them in 13 and 14 inch sizes for owners of the smaller/ lighter trailers like mine.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnscoronado View Post
Its not so much load rating. Its age of tire and quality of construction. Tires will seperate on your spare wheel as well. Heat is the major catalyst. When a radial tire ( radial = steel belted) tire is heated up the steel expands. Then cools off it contracts again. The rubber and belt package needs to be pliable. It needs to be able to stretch. Third world manufacturing techniques are improving but are not quite there yet. So yes putting a Lt tire is a good idea except that they don't make them in 13 and 14 inch sizes for owners of the smaller/ lighter trailers like mine.
So it looks like in your situation you only have 2 choices. I understand the frustration and the frustration of others, but all the bitching and griping on this and other forums will not change a thing. All tire companies will continue manufacturing tires wherever there is a cost advantage. Just a fact of life. Some folks have luck with Maxxiss, Good Year and Trail Express. Just the luck of the draw. I do think a lot of the failures are driver caused by curbing, hitting potholes too fast (altho sometimes unavoidable) exceeding 65 mph for extended periods and under inflation. JMO
Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #19

Well you can try to stay ahead of the curve by not buying tires made in CHINA. as of right now they all still suck. I expect that it will change in the next decade as their manufacturing techniques improve. the maxxis tires are made in Indonesia (not much better imo). but Ive probably sold a few hundred of them over the last 15 years at this location and have not had an issue that was a defect on a tire younger than five years old. I run em on my trailer and everyone that I consider a friend. Some people wont listen when you recommend a tire which is fine, I get to sell them tires again soon.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Calberry
You didn't say what your actual tire loads are or what you set your cold inflation to. This info is sometimes helpful in diagnosing tire failure problems.

Also a walk around in the AM is not a substitute for an actual pressure check. It has been proven that very few people can look at a tire and be within 15 psi or worse of actual inflation.

Finally "Blowouts" usually are really run low flex failures which occur due to a leak from puncture or valve leak. Without a TPMS there is no way for you to know if or when the tire started to leak. I bet you have a bunch on instruments on your dash to help you monitor your engine. Would you be comfortable if someone were to tape over all the instruments as you pulled out of the campground? This is in effect what you are doing with your tires when you do not monitor their inflation as you drive down the road.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote