Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

Trail Express Blowout Strikes Again :eek:

Not again to me, but again to another Forest River forum member

We've had our Rockwood 5er for ~10 months now and have taken 3-4 (no more than) 500 mile r/t camping trips. Yesterday on the final day of a 3 week, almost 3,000 mile trip a tire blew. On the day we did over 400 miles, and were about 100 miles from home (between Fernley and Sparks, Nv.) on a smooth 4 lane hwy when I felt something (like I had hit a rock). I checked the mirrors on both sides, saw nothing, and after slowing a bit just kept on going (no turnouts anyway).

Just then a car came up beside me and waved. Rolling down our windows they yelled that we had blown a tire. Ugh.

I pulled onto the shoulder, turned on the safety blinkers, and slowly limped to the next turnout. After 3 hours and MANY phone calls our road side service (through Progressive) finally showed up to change the tire...and didn't even have a lug wrench that would fit! Fortunately I had my torque wrench with socket for him to use.

Now I too am in the market for a new set of tires...and I think I will rule out Trail Express

There was some cosmetic damage to the trim above the tire. I called the dealer and was told the warranty was only good for 90 days. Oh well.

I have faithfully checked pressure and done a 'walk around' after each stop...never saw this coming!

Steve
calberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Maxxis. After my triple blowout last year, I've had the Maxxis, and so far no worries. They actually ride a bit better as well. I always check my tires as well, and rarely exceed 65mph (usually going on the downhill side of a hill, or prepping for a hill climb). I did have about 3,000 miles on my Trail Express tires before 3 went on the trip home last year.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Always Learning

After my near issues with tires (another brand), I decided on Maxxis tires after an afternoon of googling.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Sorry to say, but IMO, 90% of trailers with the OEM tires will have a blowout unless they are either Marathons, Maxxis or some other major brand. It is just a matter of time.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

Just out of curiosity, didn't you get one free year of Coach-net roadside assistance when you bought your 5th wheel?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Just out of curiosity, didn't you get one free year of Coach-net roadside assistance when you bought your 5th wheel?
We had the road side assistance in our policy with Progressive with our previous 5er, and when got this one we just carried it over. So for a year I guess we do have double coverage.

So when the blow-out happened we called Progressive first...since we were paying for it

Just an observation here, but I am 'subscribed' to this thread, and have instant notification turned on, yet I have not received a single email that there were any responses to my post

Steve
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Sorry to say, but IMO, 90% of trailers with the OEM tires will have a blowout unless they are either Marathons, Maxxis or some other major brand. It is just a matter of time.
I gotta disagree with that one! Yes OEM tires are sometimes low end tires
but 90% failure rate???

My almost 5 year old trailer has original Carslile tires on it.
On another chat group a few years back there were folks there who
were having blowouts with them. When I saw them on my trailer I thought
Oh NO! I'm now well over 15,000 miles later and have had no problems.

Here is where some of the difference lies-- my tires say max load 1760 LBS.
Times 4 = 7040 total for the trailer.
My trailer weighs in at only about 4050 LBS axle weight on CAT scales.
That's loaded with full gear, food, water, LP on the way to the campground.

That's a significant safety factor. I think there are too many trailers out
there with Max load ratings way too close to actual loaded weight.
I have a close friend who just purchased a little Roo type trailer.
I was looking at his door weight sticker and his cargo capacity is only 150 LBS.
That's crazy for any manufacturer to sell trailers with numbers like that.

I am thinking new tires next season. I won't be looking at Trail Express!!
I'll definitely look at Maxxis.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post

I gotta disagree with that one! Yes OEM tires are sometimes low end tires
but 90% failure rate???

On another chat group a few years back there were folks there who
were having blowouts with them. When I saw them on my trailer I thought
Oh NO! I'm now well over 15,000 miles later and have had no problems.

That's a significant safety factor. I think there are too many trailers out
there with Max load ratings way too close to actual loaded weight.
I have a close friend who just purchased a little Roo type trailer.
I was looking at his door weight sticker and his cargo capacity is only 150 LBS.
That's crazy for any manufacturer to sell trailers with numbers like that.

I am thinking new tires next season. I won't be looking at Trail Express!!
I'll definitely look at Maxxis.
I agree.

6 years on my flagstaff oem tires and they looked great.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I gotta disagree with that one! Yes OEM tires are sometimes low end tires...
I might need to clarify, I meant IMO, 90% of the trailers will have a blowout, not 90% of the tires. Might be high, but the odds are against not having a blowout. Just my opinion based on my experiences.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:

I think you just identified the problem. Many trailers come with tires just barely capable of hauling the load. Our fifth came with load range C tires, and at max GVWR, they were overloaded. How on earth the company has the nerve to do that is beyond me.
So even though the Duro tires our fifth came with had a reasonable reputation, we replaced them with load range D Maxxis, the tires the factory should have installed.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

I was told by a local Discount Tire manager that Carlisle has improved their trailer tire, that’s why Discount stopped selling them but has picked them backup. What, if anything, was upgraded or fixed I have no idea. I’ve gone from a 14 inch C tire to a 15 E Carlisle and am hoping the increase/overkill in weight will help. Time will tell (this coming weekend!!!!)
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #12

I am now the proud owner of 5 new Maxxis tires. 10 ply radials vs the old 6 ply.

Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #13

As a tire guy I can tell you with certainty that maxxis currently makes the best trailer tire. They are the only company that I see consistently getting five years of life. Just keep em inflated and covered if they are in direct sunlight.
jnscoronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #14

And an FYI. Carlisle used to have an american made model. I think it was the USA trail. They were the only good Carlisle. Every trailer tire offered is now made overseas including the Goodyear marathon ( which used to be the best ) since Goodyear started making them in china I've had to warranty dozens of them for seperations. I no longer sell them if I don't have too.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #15

Thanks jns, nothing like info from someone directly involved in the tire business.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Face the music folks you have 3 choices as all ST tires are made in the Far East. 1. Park the camper, 2. Switch to LT Tires/wheels, 3. Run the Far East tires of a higher load rating.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #17

Its not so much load rating. Its age of tire and quality of construction. Tires will seperate on your spare wheel as well. Heat is the major catalyst. When a radial tire ( radial = steel belted) tire is heated up the steel expands. Then cools off it contracts again. The rubber and belt package needs to be pliable. It needs to be able to stretch. Third world manufacturing techniques are improving but are not quite there yet. So yes putting a Lt tire is a good idea except that they don't make them in 13 and 14 inch sizes for owners of the smaller/ lighter trailers like mine.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnscoronado View Post
Its not so much load rating. Its age of tire and quality of construction. Tires will seperate on your spare wheel as well. Heat is the major catalyst. When a radial tire ( radial = steel belted) tire is heated up the steel expands. Then cools off it contracts again. The rubber and belt package needs to be pliable. It needs to be able to stretch. Third world manufacturing techniques are improving but are not quite there yet. So yes putting a Lt tire is a good idea except that they don't make them in 13 and 14 inch sizes for owners of the smaller/ lighter trailers like mine.
So it looks like in your situation you only have 2 choices. I understand the frustration and the frustration of others, but all the bitching and griping on this and other forums will not change a thing. All tire companies will continue manufacturing tires wherever there is a cost advantage. Just a fact of life. Some folks have luck with Maxxiss, Good Year and Trail Express. Just the luck of the draw. I do think a lot of the failures are driver caused by curbing, hitting potholes too fast (altho sometimes unavoidable) exceeding 65 mph for extended periods and under inflation. JMO
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #19

Well you can try to stay ahead of the curve by not buying tires made in CHINA. as of right now they all still suck. I expect that it will change in the next decade as their manufacturing techniques improve. the maxxis tires are made in Indonesia (not much better imo). but Ive probably sold a few hundred of them over the last 15 years at this location and have not had an issue that was a defect on a tire younger than five years old. I run em on my trailer and everyone that I consider a friend. Some people wont listen when you recommend a tire which is fine, I get to sell them tires again soon.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Calberry
You didn't say what your actual tire loads are or what you set your cold inflation to. This info is sometimes helpful in diagnosing tire failure problems.

Also a walk around in the AM is not a substitute for an actual pressure check. It has been proven that very few people can look at a tire and be within 15 psi or worse of actual inflation.

Finally "Blowouts" usually are really run low flex failures which occur due to a leak from puncture or valve leak. Without a TPMS there is no way for you to know if or when the tire started to leak. I bet you have a bunch on instruments on your dash to help you monitor your engine. Would you be comfortable if someone were to tape over all the instruments as you pulled out of the campground? This is in effect what you are doing with your tires when you do not monitor their inflation as you drive down the road.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote