Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,348
Take a look at the KUMHO 857 in the14 inch line of Radials.
I recently replaced my 15" Trail Express tires with 5 of them and they are a D rated, 8 ply LT tire.

Local dealers are pushing them as a really good replacement.

Tire rack sells the 14 inch line only not the 15's

Get rid of theTrail Express.
__________________

__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
If the issue was just people running their tires low on air pressure, you would see blowout complaints about all tires. The fact that so many factory tires are giving grief, sometimes on the way home from the dealer, must mean something.
And if you check around the internet and see all of the complaints about Goodyear Marathons, it makes you wonder if all of these people are lying?
I just figure, why take the risk? Go with what people have had good experiences with.
And don't believe those who claim that tires made in Thailand are just as bad as Chinese junk, as that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
And for the poster who mentioned Kumho tires, it seems they might be worth investigating as well.
Don - what you say here makes perfect sense. A question I have is how many of these people claiming defective RV tires actually failed to keep the proper pressure in their tires? I don't see many people saying that Yes I didn't keep the proper pressure or I ran them too fast or "curbed" them a lot?

I am getting more confused here and I have to say that it's a damm shame that IF these tires made in China are really a POS that the RV manufacturers continue to put them on the units they produce for our use.
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
Now a "Top Member"
 
EdJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Roman Forest, TX
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
An interesting point - I just read the Maxxis FAQ section on their website.

One FAQ was "what causes a trailer tire to blow out?"

The Maxxis reply was running a tire without the proper air pressure. So nothing about their tires being a better quality, etc.. Just maintaining proper inflation pressure.

After saying what I said earlier about my TE tires, I take a little comfort in saying what I said - keep the proper pressure and stay within the speed limit.

Sometimes I wish I didn't read this forum!
I had proper pressure. Checked before I left for the trip, and before I left the campground. Checked after each blow-out (well, the first two anyway). Stayed under the speed limit also. It was just my time. I was fairly confident after 2 years and close to 3,000 miles. My confidence was shattered in one day.
__________________
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
If the issue was just people running their tires low on air pressure, you would see blowout complaints about all tires. The fact that so many factory tires are giving grief, sometimes on the way home from the dealer, must mean something.
And if you check around the internet and see all of the complaints about Goodyear Marathons, it makes you wonder if all of these people are lying?
I just figure, why take the risk? Go with what people have had good experiences with.
And don't believe those who claim that tires made in Thailand are just as bad as Chinese junk, as that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
And for the poster who mentioned Kumho tires, it seems they might be worth investigating as well.
There are so many more GY Marathons sold than other brands, what would you expect. If there were 10 million GY Marathons sold and 500,000 of some other brand, how many more complaints would you expect about the GY's?

Right after WWII, everyone was bashing Japanese built products, now it's China's turn in the barrel. Soon it will be some other country that takes over a market. As long as products are built to a low standard, there will be failures.

If the DOT would enforce and strenghten the requirements, the quality will get better.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
As has been stated numerous times, all tires regardless of mfg or where they are built are subject to blowing out for several reasons.

1. Low air pressure
2. Curbing
3. Speed
4. Overloading
5. Axle misalignment
6. Misc. road hazards (nails, rocks, bolts, screws etc.)
7. Trailer swaying excessive and rolling a tire off the rim (rare)

Some are just design flaws, but those are rare.
I believe you named the top 7 reasons.
__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
sail2liv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 292
Tires????

Like everyone here I am in a state of confusion.....and I don t know the facts. It seems to me that we all should buy the best tire we can afford.
That being said, it seems to me of all the thousands and thousands of RVs that are sold, is only a very small number on here that have tire problems.
Things I don t hear on here are that I have a rear kitchen and all my weight is in the rear or I have rear living and all my weight is in the front,
causing one axle to bear more than the other. I don t ever hear on here that I have never run my rig over 60 and I have always kept my tires 20% under gross weight and I have a TPMS that I always use....also I stop every hour or so and check my tires....no one says my tires exploded after I ran all day in the hot summer heat over 70 and only made one gas stop and no I didn t check the weight I put in my trailer.....not sure which axle is bearing the load cause I did not check the difference in tire temperature. Even the good maxxis blows if you run 70+ for 3-400 miles.
After all my long wind, those that have tire problems please give all the facts....date, tire pressure for life of tire and temp for life of tire and oh btw I did get tired of all those 18 wheelers buffeting my rig and I do have the diesel so I can go as fast as I want.....so I just kicked it up that day cause everyone was passing me.....and no I did not go over the scales before I started my long trip on the hot summer day.....so the reason must be it is those crappy trailer tires.....I don t have all my data in just yet, but I do have a TPMS and I do have a temp gun and I use it for we change drivers as close as we can every hour....and while walking around I hit the tires and beaings with the temp gun along with stretching legs and having a good P.....btw I try hard never to go over 55mph.....and we do try and apply good physic laws when we add or take weight out....no input required just is my 2 cents worth.....
__________________

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Like everyone here I am in a state of confusion.....and I don t know the facts. It seems to me that we all should buy the best tire we can afford.
That being said, it seems to me of all the thousands and thousands of RVs that are sold, is only a very small number on here that have tire problems.
Things I don t hear on here are that I have a rear kitchen and all my weight is in the rear or I have rear living and all my weight is in the front,
causing one axle to bear more than the other. I don t ever hear on here that I have never run my rig over 60 and I have always kept my tires 20% under gross weight and I have a TPMS that I always use....also I stop every hour or so and check my tires....no one says my tires exploded after I ran all day in the hot summer heat over 70 and only made one gas stop and no I didn t check the weight I put in my trailer.....not sure which axle is bearing the load cause I did not check the difference in tire temperature. Even the good maxxis blows if you run 70+ for 3-400 miles.
After all my long wind, those that have tire problems please give all the facts....date, tire pressure for life of tire and temp for life of tire and oh btw I did get tired of all those 18 wheelers buffeting my rig and I do have the diesel so I can go as fast as I want.....so I just kicked it up that day cause everyone was passing me.....and no I did not go over the scales before I started my long trip on the hot summer day.....so the reason must be it is those crappy trailer tires.....I don t have all my data in just yet, but I do have a TPMS and I do have a temp gun and I use it for we change drivers as close as we can every hour....and while walking around I hit the tires and beaings with the temp gun along with stretching legs and having a good P.....btw I try hard never to go over 55mph.....and we do try and apply good physic laws when we add or take weight out....no input required just is my 2 cents worth.....
AMEN sail2live, you hit the nail on the head! Will buy you a beer if we ever meet! You stated the problem perfectly!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,348
a Tire pressure monitoring system is a must. your cars and trucks now have them as standard features on most cases...
I've seen what the rubber flabber does at 60 miles an hour to transports (riding my goldwing the last time behind one) and what it does to NASCAR cars at 60 miles an hour... Same material as the TT or 5'ver. Truck Systems TEchnologies just sold me one last month 259 shipped - will be worth every penny or at least it may save me 2 replacement tires if one goes sideways on us.

Temp and pressure monitoring at the same time.
The KUMHOs for my 27RKSS rate good to almost 2100 lbs each - a % over my max for the trailer. R speed rated (106 miles an hour) for the odd time I may get over 60 running down hill with a tail wind.
Proper pressure and when in for storage the weight is coming off the tires and rims to save the tires. They will then drop to about 35 lbs for storage to virtually eliminate splitting and cracks. I've stored winter and summer tires on rims in my garage for years that way and never had a tire blow out on a car or truck.
__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
As has been stated numerous times, all tires regardless of mfg or where they are built are subject to blowing out for several reasons.

8. Low air pressure
7. Curbing
6. Speed
5. Overloading
4. Axle misalignment
3. Misc. road hazards (nails, rocks, bolts, screws etc.)
2. Trailer swaying excessive and rolling a tire off the rim (rare)

But the number 1 reason for tire failure?
1. Made in China
__________________
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Like everyone here I am in a state of confusion.....and I don t know the facts. It seems to me that we all should buy the best tire we can afford.
That being said, it seems to me of all the thousands and thousands of RVs that are sold, is only a very small number on here that have tire problems.
Things I don t hear on here are that I have a rear kitchen and all my weight is in the rear or I have rear living and all my weight is in the front,
causing one axle to bear more than the other. I don t ever hear on here that I have never run my rig over 60 and I have always kept my tires 20% under gross weight and I have a TPMS that I always use....also I stop every hour or so and check my tires....no one says my tires exploded after I ran all day in the hot summer heat over 70 and only made one gas stop and no I didn t check the weight I put in my trailer.....not sure which axle is bearing the load cause I did not check the difference in tire temperature. Even the good maxxis blows if you run 70+ for 3-400 miles.
After all my long wind, those that have tire problems please give all the facts....date, tire pressure for life of tire and temp for life of tire and oh btw I did get tired of all those 18 wheelers buffeting my rig and I do have the diesel so I can go as fast as I want.....so I just kicked it up that day cause everyone was passing me.....and no I did not go over the scales before I started my long trip on the hot summer day.....so the reason must be it is those crappy trailer tires.....I don t have all my data in just yet, but I do have a TPMS and I do have a temp gun and I use it for we change drivers as close as we can every hour....and while walking around I hit the tires and beaings with the temp gun along with stretching legs and having a good P.....btw I try hard never to go over 55mph.....and we do try and apply good physic laws when we add or take weight out....no input required just is my 2 cents worth.....
Sail -

Well actually I can say:

1. I do have a 29 rear kitchen and can only assume that FR did the proper weight and balance and engineering calcutations before they started cutting metal.

2. I do not run my rig over 60 MPH.

3. I do not currently have a TPMS, but I have ordered one and will install and use it when it arrives.

4. We do stop every 2-3 hours and when we do, the tires on both my TV and RV get a walk around inspection.

5. I have not yet driven in hot summer heat, but I never driven over 60 MPH - hot summer heat or not.

But then again - I haven't had the tire problems that some others here have had.

I thought about getting a temp gun, but figured I don't need one with the TPMS.

As far as the data not being there regarding these failures, you are correct. I am willing to say that probably most RV'ers don't know how many miles their RV tires have on them or how old they are. I am going to replace mine at 10,000 miles even if my current TE tires last that long.
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.