Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
As has been stated numerous times, all tires regardless of mfg or where they are built are subject to blowing out for several reasons.

8. Low air pressure
7. Curbing
6. Speed
5. Overloading
4. Axle misalignment
3. Misc. road hazards (nails, rocks, bolts, screws etc.)
2. Trailer swaying excessive and rolling a tire off the rim (rare)

But the number 1 reason for tire failure?
1. Made in China
Nope DonG, you got it wrong, the No 1 reason for tire failure is Negligent or Lazy Owners.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #32
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Nope DonG, you got it wrong, the No 1 reason for tire failure is Negligent or Lazy Owners.
I wish I knew which one of you are correct here.
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,348
just remember Flat tires are only flat on one side!
__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Nope DonG, you got it wrong, the No 1 reason for tire failure is Negligent or Lazy Owners.
If that were true, then how come so many people are driving around in their family cars with under inflated tires and do not have blow outs? Sorry, I disagree with your assumptions.
Number one reason is poor quality construction tires.
__________________
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
If that were true, then how come so many people are driving around in their family cars with under inflated tires and do not have blow outs? Sorry, I disagree with your assumptions.
Number one reason is poor quality construction tires.
They do, they just don't get on a forum and gripe about it!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,348
My daughter drove the car I gave her with 18 lbs pressure in the back tires and 12 in the front. said it drove like a tank. Wonder why? But no blow outs.
__________________
09 Sundance 31.5 XLT Bunkhouse
17 Greywolf 22rr Toy Hauler
and
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #37
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
My daughter drove the car I gave her with 18 lbs pressure in the back tires and 12 in the front. said it drove like a tank. Wonder why? But no blow outs.
Mil - with that low of pressure in the tires, how would she even know if she did have a blow out?
__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
For information only with my TE:
I did have one blow out on rear driver side "Trail Express" after 300 km from home about 3 weeks ago, but since I had a TPMS TST 507,it did alarm before I lost all pressure and prevented damage to the trailer, I was able to pull over and change with the spare. Here is a picture of the tire damage. Also when tire failed, I did hear a loud "pop" and it took app. 30 sec for the TPMS to show a drop in pressure as it was a fast leak but not a blow out. I was able to drive off the expressway #40 going to Quebec City. Once I was in a safe location, I used my digital pressure gauge and the pressure was down to 45 psi. Thanks to the TST 507 it prevented any damage to the trailer. I did get the tires balanced after this event and was surprised at the amounts of weigths that was needed: 3, 3.5, 3.5 and 3.75 oz. The one that failed required 3.5 oz. I have a 8000 km trip coming in July, Calgary Stampede, and will see how everything performs since balancing the tires. I replaced the failed tire with a GoodYear Marathon. Also I checked tires in the morning and all top up to 52 psi cold, check the hub/bearing temperature with infrared thermometer and all at around 90 degrees F after about 200 km. Tires have a total of 6000 km since I bought trailer in May 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #39
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
... The one that failed required 3.5 oz... I replaced the failed tire with a GoodYear Marathon.
Don't understand the failed tire being balanced after the event if it was replaced.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
None of my tires were balanced before this event. I decided to get all tires balanced once I got back home for my own piece of mind. Will it make a difference, I hope so.
__________________

__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.