Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #51

Here is what we are getting:

ST205/75R-15/8 M8008 D Rating

Not the 225 but should be enough tire for the 4800 lb. trailer. Yes?

FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #52

makes sense to balance tires which will be travelling the same speed as the hauling vehicle. not the best option or costly balancing method as many car dealerships are now doing what is called Road Force Balancing.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR28footer View Post

Probably your best choice. They are only about an inch bigger in diameter than your existing tires, and they have a load rating of 2150 lbs per tire, for a total of 8600 lbs! Your wheels probably have a limitation of 60 psi, so you can run these tires at that pressure and still have lots of spare carrying capacity. They should run cool and last a long, long time. And you will have the peace of mind of having good rubber under your camper.
I would still recommend a tire pressure monitor system if your budget allows, as you can still pick up a nail or something and get a flat. You wouldn't want to ruin one of those nice new Maxxis!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #54

Quote:

You are doing the exact same upgrade I did. This will give you a very, very comfortable safety margin. I bought the wheels from etrailer.com and the tires from discount tire direct. I mounted them myself and had my local Walmart balance them for me. I am running my tires at 65 psi and the trailer pulls and handles great.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #55

Trail Express Tires.

Looked at the tire on our new Wildood X lite 24QB trailer from March of this year. To find that two out of the five Trail Express tires have started to get cracks aprroximately 2" from the rim. Tires have DOT codes of R2KC 2011 and R2KC 2111 on all the tires. The trailer has approx 1200 miles including shipping from Middlebury, IN. We have put approx 600 miles on it. All tires are at 55 psi where they were when the trailer was picked up at the dealer. Tires are rated at 1760 lbs each with 3500 lb axles and GVWR of 5700 lbs. Trailer scaled at 5375 lbs on first trip out loaded. Cracking looks like something you find on 5 or 6 year old tires.

Dealer working on warranty for new tires.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #56

Tire math

Reserve capcity of ST tires starts my math.....4 tires at max pressure on my trailer is 2175 lbs x 4 = 8700 this times .8 = 6960 lbs this is max load for axles.....and tires.... 6960 / 4 = 1740 lbs this is max load for each tire.
This is providing you never go over 65 mph....exceeding this speed rapidly reduces tire life....I try and run 55 mph and never over 60 mph....giving a
small cushion of safety and increasing tire life.....the reserve capcity of a
tire is affected by how much the tire weighs and that usually determines
the amount of materials in the tire....ST tires being at max reserve capcity
need to be run at .8 of posted weight for max tire pressure and below 65 mph.......a brief thought about LT tires.....is they have reserve capcity at
max tire pressure posted weight....so to sum it up, you want to have a reserve capcity of 20% to have a safety cushion......there are many more differences between LT and ST tires .... for me ST is the best choice as long as you use the correct math.....Maxxis tires have greater reserve because the weigh more than other ST tires .... meaning more materials in them.....gave my 2 cents earlier in this thread and now have this 1 cent more to add.....good luck to all.....drive slow and stay well below weight limits = better mileage and better tire safety...good luck to all

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #57

Got our Maxxis tires on today. Trailer pulls great. Granted, it was about 26 miles round trip.

Tire dealer said the line around the diameter of the Trail Express tire was breakdown from turning. And yes, I avoid tight turns.

Gave me $$ for our 14 inch rims and a full refund on the Carlisle spare we bought.

Very happy with the new tires so far. We have a trip the end of this month which will put about 400 miles on them.

Also looking at a TPMS now based on some input around these forums.

Thanks for all the help!!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #58
Mod free 5er

Did they not balance them? Don't see any wts on either wheel.

As for the lines on the old tires being from turning, trailer tires are supposed to be designed to take that twisting side loads. That's why the mfgs make special trailer tires. Regular tires are not subjected to that severe a side load like is put on trailer tires, especially tandem axles.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Did they not balance them? Don't see any wts on either wheel.

As for the lines on the old tires being from turning, trailer tires are supposed to be designed to take that twisting side loads. That's why the mfgs make special trailer tires. Regular tires are not subjected to that severe a side load like is put on trailer tires, especially tandem axles.
Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other??? Yes they are balanced. As stated before, the Trailer Express tires are crap.

Sheesh man....keep up or stop posting. Seems you are always so darn negative and know it all.

You should try and find a kind bone in your body and let it type.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other??? Yes they are balanced. As stated before, the Trailer Express tires are crap.

Sheesh man....keep up or stop posting. Seems you are always so darn negative and know it all.

You should try and find a kind bone in your body and let it type.
Sorry about that, after looking again I do see a wt. Don't understand me being so negative, just ask a question. Sorry if it offended you. I agree the tires you had were bad, but they should have withstood the side loads. Just poor quality or design. Our DOT should do more inspections and start rejecting junk like you got saddled with. Again, sorry to have offended you.