Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Trail Express Tires

Well, the wife and I went out to the trailer (28 foot Cherokee Cascade) to take some items out for our next trip. By the way, we picked the trailer up in mid October 2011. Dry weight is 4800 lbs. We maybe load 300 to 400 lbs. for our trips.

As usual, I always do a once around and check seals, look for any damage and inspect the tires.

I was suprised to see an odd line about 3 inches out from the edge of the rim. It was raised a little and I do not remember seeing that on our last trip. As I looked a little closer I saw a bunch of little cracks forming. The trailer was covered all winter and we uncovered it for our first trip this year the end of April.

As we inspected the other three tires they all had the same odd ring and cracks. I would say we have a total of 1300 miles on the trailer in three trips.

I started doing some research (here and other rv forums) and see that these tires are junk. I am very disappointed in FR for skimping on what I feel is one of the most important parts of a trailer.

So of course I called the dealer we bought it from. They were pretty honest that the tires suck and they would try and help get some new tires under warranty by going through a third party called Lionhead Ltd. They have had very little success and it takes a very long time.......like I want another set of these tires??!!

So now I need to decide on what tires to get as we have some long trips coming up. Dual axle, 14 inch, load range C.

I made some calls and here is what was discussed:

I can get a radial called Towmax made by Maxxis. Rated at 1760lbs. Downside I was told is it pulls harder than the bias ply. More sidewall flex as well. But will last longer.

I can also get some Carlisles, bias ply made in the USA. Rated at 1760lbs. He said they pull easier, have less flex and will have less sway.

As with any product I can find good and bad reviews. So I would like your feedback and input.

I know from other threads there are preferences for one over the other. So I am trying to get some more input before I make my decision.

Your help is appreciated as this is our first trailer. And more than likely our last from FR given the inferior product put on their trailer.
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

I would go with the Maxxis radials. They seem to have fewer complaints than anyone else, and one of the few tires NOT made in China!
Goodyear Marathons used to be good, but they are also made in China now.
I put a set of Carlisles on my motorcycle trailer, and they are cracking after two years. So much for "American made"!
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
I would go with the Maxxis radials. They seem to have fewer complaints than anyone else, and one of the few tires NOT made in China!
Goodyear Marathons used to be good, but they are also made in China now.
I put a set of Carlisles on my motorcycle trailer, and they are cracking after two years. So much for "American made"!
Don't forget that Thailand and Taiwan is where the Maxxis are built. Not any different than China made Marathons. Plus GY has dealers all over the US and majority of the money stays in the US instead of going to another foreign country.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #4

Check the NHTS web site for fewest complaints. Good Years Marathons have a lot of complaints on the RV forums as most every other tire. That is except Maxxis.
As for FR installing junk tires. That is not only FR it is every RV builder in the USA. If a dealer had tried to sell you the identical trailer but it was 500 dollars more expensive because it had better quality tires you would have walked away in a heart beat, opting for the trailer that was 500 dollars cheaper. So you really need to blame yourself for not being properly informed and insisting on better tires at delivery. Even if it would have cost you more money.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Check the NHTS web site for fewest complaints. Good Years Marathons have a lot of complaints on the RV forums as most every other tire. That is except Maxxis.
As for FR installing junk tires. That is not only FR it is every RV builder in the USA. If a dealer had tried to sell you the identical trailer but it was 500 dollars more expensive because it had better quality tires you would have walked away in a heart beat, opting for the trailer that was 500 dollars cheaper. So you really need to blame yourself for not being properly informed and insisting on better tires at delivery. Even if it would have cost you more money.
Check percentage of complaints. GY is no worse than Maxxis percentagewise.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Check percentage of complaints. GY is no worse than Maxxis percentagewise.
I think we would all like to see the link to back up that statement.
Please be so kind as to provide it. TIA
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:

http://www.vehicletire.com/Complaint...ar/Marathon+ST

5 complaints

http://www.vehicletire.com/Complaint...hin/All+Models
7 complaints

Just in case anyone would like to check themselves
http://www.vehicletire.com/Complaint
Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Why would you post a response like this? I said first time buyer. And guess what, if they had given me an option to get better tires, I bet I would not have alked away.

I am looking for advice, not someone to state the obvious. Posts like this are no help at all.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Goodyear Marathon ST Tire Consumer Complaints

5 complaints

Cheng Shin All Models Tire Consumer Complaints
7 complaints

Tire Consumer Complaints
So thanks for the car tire complaints. But I am looking for a travel trailer tire.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #10

Would you have paid 500 dollars more than a competing dealer for the tires if you did not know? Most of us would not. I was not trying to diss you, I was simply trying to explain to you the economics of installing cheap tires vs more expensive tires thus raising the price of the product.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Goodyear Marathon ST Tire Consumer Complaints

5 complaints

Cheng Shin All Models Tire Consumer Complaints
7 complaints

Tire Consumer Complaints
Hmmm......of the 7 "complaints" against Cheng Shin, 3 were for motorcycle tires, one was not even about the tire, but the valve stem, and there was not one mention of Maxxis brand tires.
Actually I ran across this site quite a while ago, and found it essentially useless.
But before I bought my tires, I searched all kinds of RV sites for tire feedback, and I could not find one instance of someone with a problem with their Maxxis tires, and a lot of people are running them. And my local tire dude has sold semi loads of them without a single complaint. That is all I needed to know.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #12

Interesting reading:

Goodyear Marathon Radial Trailer Utility Tire Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #13

If you need 14", have a look at the Khumo 857, a trailer tire, they only make one size, in a few widths - I am hearing good things.

Made on Korea.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

I blew three TrailExpress tires on my last trip. Made for an extremely long and frustrating day. I think I have settled on replacing all with the Maxxis. Everything I have heard and read and seen seems to point them with the least problems. They are made in Taiwan, which may or may not be better or worse than China, but all I know is they have a very good overall reputation than any of the other tire brands.

I tried to get my dealer to change out the "no name" tires when I bought my trailer. He just shook me off like I was crazy. And of course he couldn't stop talking about the Nitrogen fill. Yeah...maybe that made them last 2 years instead of only one year.

Anyway, it's going to be Maxxis for me. For better or worse...and I can't see it being worse!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I blew three TrailExpress tires on my last trip. Made for an extremely long and frustrating day. I think I have settled on replacing all with the Maxxis. Everything I have heard and read and seen seems to point them with the least problems. They are made in Taiwan, which may or may not be better or worse than China, but all I know is they have a very good overall reputation than any of the other tire brands.

I tried to get my dealer to change out the "no name" tires when I bought my trailer. He just shook me off like I was crazy. And of course he couldn't stop talking about the Nitrogen fill. Yeah...maybe that made them last 2 years instead of only one year.

Anyway, it's going to be Maxxis for me. For better or worse...and I can't see it being worse!
Like many of you, our 2012 Silverback 29rk came new equipped with the Trail Express ST235/80R16, Load Range E tires.

Until I started reading this forum, I was not aware of all the problems (real and/or otherwise) with the so called "China Bombs" RV tires out there.

I became very cautious about my TE tires, even to the point of buying a portable air compressor i carry for the purpose of topping off any tire (s) that are even a couple of pounds low when I check them cold.

I also started a thread here about the pros/cons of Nitrogen filled tires as my TE tires came filled with nitrogen and I had a hard time trying to get my one tire that went flat due a nail serviced with nitrogen after it was repaired. I don't service my TE tires with nitrogen anymore after reading what the various posters here had to say about that.

Back to my TE experience so far - my TE tires now have a total of 5496 miles on them (1700 of those were on a RT from Texas to NY and back) and with exception of servicing two of then because they were 5 pounds low cold, I have not had any problems with them - loss of air, blow outs etc.) I do drive at 60 MPH as recommended.

I did purchase a Tire Traker TPMS and will install it when it arrives.

We are going on a RT from Texas to California in July and I am going to make the trip with my current set of TE tires. I figure if they can make that long hot trip, they can make any trip.

Of course, I may have all 4 of them blow out, come apart, etc., I don't know. But right now, I feel as confidence as anyone can about these tires based on my past experience with mine so far.

I will keep you informed.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #16

I replaced the Trail Express tires on my trailer 1 week after I brought it home from the dealer. I was trying to accomplish a couple things. One, I wanted a taller tire, with a better load rating. (I went from 14" LRC to 15" LRD). Two, I wanted a better tire. I had read too many bad reviews on the "China bombs". I have yet to find a bad review on the Maxxis. Are they the best? Not sure, but the lack of bad reviews sold me on them. By the way, my Maxxis were made in Thailand.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Camper Less Camping

Well worth the time & expense to replace stock trailer tires with appropriate, well built and heavy duty tow tires. Your tires are the lifeline between the road and your expensive trailer and possibly your expensive tow vehicle... Well worth the extra expense ( from someone who's been there, done that)!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post

An interesting point - I just read the Maxxis FAQ section on their website.

One FAQ was "what causes a trailer tire to blow out?"

The Maxxis reply was running a tire without the proper air pressure. So nothing about their tires being a better quality, etc.. Just maintaining proper inflation pressure.

After saying what I said earlier about my TE tires, I take a little comfort in saying what I said - keep the proper pressure and stay within the speed limit.

Sometimes I wish I didn't read this forum!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #19

If the issue was just people running their tires low on air pressure, you would see blowout complaints about all tires. The fact that so many factory tires are giving grief, sometimes on the way home from the dealer, must mean something.
And if you check around the internet and see all of the complaints about Goodyear Marathons, it makes you wonder if all of these people are lying?
I just figure, why take the risk? Go with what people have had good experiences with.
And don't believe those who claim that tires made in Thailand are just as bad as Chinese junk, as that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
And for the poster who mentioned Kumho tires, it seems they might be worth investigating as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

As has been stated numerous times, all tires regardless of mfg or where they are built are subject to blowing out for several reasons.

1. Low air pressure
2. Curbing
3. Speed
4. Overloading
5. Axle misalignment
6. Misc. road hazards (nails, rocks, bolts, screws etc.)
7. Trailer swaying excessive and rolling a tire off the rim (rare)

Some are just design flaws, but those are rare.