Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Smile Trailer Brake Setup

I bought a new truck and camper. I had the dealer transfer the Curt brake controller over to the new truck and install. Took the camper out for the first time this weekend but I am not sure the controller is working. It didnt seem I was getting any pull back when applying the brakes. Is there any way to test the controller and plug at the back to see if its a problem with the controller, plug or the trailer brakes. Does anyone know how to test these? Thank.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Which model do you have?
What value is the controller set to?

What happens when you apply the manual lever when driving slowly? Do you feel any slight tug or resistance?

Have you tried turning the controller up and applying the manual lever?

Old 03-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

Not sure on the model number. Will have to check. I have the value set at 2.5. I will have to try the manual level next time I take it out in a couple of weeks. Is there anyway to use a voltmeter or light tester on the truck till then?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
Not sure on the model number. Will have to check. I have the value set at 2.5. I will have to try the manual level next time I take it out in a couple of weeks. Is there anyway to use a voltmeter or light tester on the truck till then?
Vou can place a test light or voltmeter to pin 2 (on the vehicle that's the one at the 7 o'clock position) Use the truck frame for ground or pin 7 (5 o'clock). With the controller set a various output levels, have someone slowly move the slider and verify the light or voltage output changes.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Vou can place a test light or voltmeter to pin 2 (on the vehicle that's the one at the 7 o'clock position) Use the truck frame for ground or pin 7 (5 o'clock). With the controller set a various output levels, have someone slowly move the slider and verify the light or voltage output changes.
Thank you. I will try that.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

Since you didn't do the initial install, why don't you take it back to the dealership who did the install?

I'd be terrified to take anything electrical to a dealership but since you did, why not hold them responsible? I once had a short in a brake wire and was appalled by dealer tech's repair which consisted of twisting new tire with no crimps, solder, or even wire nuts and simply wrapping it up in electrical tape. I now do all work on my of my vehicles to include trailers by myself. Too risky to trust someone else to do it.

If you are going to trace it yourself check following:
-- inline auto-reset fuse that all brake controllers should have installed
-- Connection from brake controller to brake pedal switch
-- Did you manually apply the brake controller? If so, did anything happen?
-- Check voltage at trailer plug
-- Check all wiring, don't assume it was hooked up correctly. Does your controller have power to it? Did your truck come with factory installed brake controller wiring and all it needed was a specific connector to your controller? Please provide more specifics, thanks.

Good luck and hope you find it.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

One thing you should test is the emergency signals. I had my winnie brake controller wired in by an RV dealer and when I put my flashers on going slow up a hill the brakes would come on every time the taillights flashed. It was really very funny and when I told the owner of the RV company what was happening he was very embarrassed and fixed the problem. Just a small check.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, brakes