Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer Brakes Need Help

I've only had my 2014 Wildwood 27RKSS a couple of months and have only had it out 2 times. The brakes are very sensitive. I only have to touch the pedal and the brakes act as if I stomped on them. The controller I'm using is 8 yrs old and I can't remember the brand name and it has no markings. The adjustment wheel can only turn 90 degrees from vertical each way. No matter what position it is in the brakes act the same way. Are there any manual adjustments on the wheels, or do you think the controller has lost it's ability to adjust.? I don't want to invest in a new controller if can adjust the brakes some other way.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Anyway you can post a pic of the brake controller?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Will Try. I've had trouble posting pics before.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #4

My controller has 2 adjustment "wheels" on it. One controls how hard the brakes are applied and the other controls the sensitivity, how quickly the brakes are applied once you press on the brake pedal. If the sensitivity is too high than the trailer brakes come on too soon...there is an LED on the controller that goes from Green (trailer brakes off) to orange (brakes partially on) to red (brakes fully on). I have mine set so that when the brake pedal is pressed the LED goes to orange with a touch of red.

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

If the Controller has a quick-disconnect in the back, it might be easy to borrow another controller from a friend, and see if that new controller works better.

Also,
I paid a little extra to get a Tekonsha P3 so that I could see what it was "thinking". It helps.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Be aware a lot of people are having trouble with Lippert grease seals leaking grease onto the brake mechanism. I had one leak one wheel on another camper and it would shake the entire camper and truck when I applied the brake....
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

Without a make and model number its hard to know. But if you only have one adjustment it sounds like you have a timer based unit rather then inertia. It is possible the unit can no longer change gain is just stuck on full brake.

Swapping out with a friends brake controller is one way to diagnose, but to rule out the trailer, if you have a friend with a known operating brake controller, hook it up to his truck and see if it reacts the same way. If it does, then it could be something on the trailer rather then the controller.

Personally I used to not care and get the cheaper timer based controllers, but after having an inertial based one and now a built in system, I am not sure I could go back to that style.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

It Doesn't sound like your controller is adjusting, if each way you get the same result? It might be better to bite the bullet and get a new one, they came along ways with them in 8 years. Stuff wears out. I know of nothing you can adjust on your breaks, you surely do not want to back off on the adjustment on the break. Are these those new self adjusting breaks by any chance? Or the standard adjustable with the star wheel?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #9

I would say you need a new controller that you can ajust the gain to the trailer brakes you need to be able to see what it is set at on a scale of 1 to 10
catbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #10

I would take the trailer back to the dealer and have them check the brakes under warranty.
Then I would get a newer controller installed.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #11

First of all, Thanks for all your help. I just checked the controller again and found I do have a second wheel.(Stupid me for not looking on the other side.) I haven't had to adjust the brakes in 8 years, and this is my third TT. I won't be able to check out the second adjustment for a while. The trailer is parked and we won't be hooking up to go anywhere until the middle of next month. I will try the other adjustment then and let you know, Again, thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #12

No problem....
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

An inertia based controller will probably fix your problem. I remember the one we had a while ago. PITA!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg1 View Post
I won't be able to check out the second adjustment for a while. The trailer is parked and we won't be hooking up to go anywhere until the middle of next month. I will try the other adjustment then and let you know, Again, thanks.
You might want to get this sorted out before it spoils your trip next month. If it is an adjustment you won't have to pull it out of the storage lot, probably fixed by the time you get to the front gate.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #15

The controller regulates the amount of electricity going to the lelcto-magnet on your brake arm of the brake pads. the more electricity, the stronger the magnet pulls against the inside of your wheel drum, causing the brake pads to expand with the drums inertia. If your controller is just slamming the whole 12 volts to the magnet, it will lock against the drum very solidly. So your old controller acts like a volume control. It may just be unable to vary the current. A new controller with inertia sensitivity in the controller is the way to go. Why? Because it is just as effective in reverse as it is forward, in determining how quickly you want to stop. The guy who suggested trying a friends inertia type controller first, had a good idea. You will still have sensitivity control and emergency stop control.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #16

Since you now found your gain adjustment, you should be all set. It sounds like a voyager as thats the only one I know of with two wheels. One is for inertia sensativity and the other is gain on the braking.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #17

Solved, First of all , Sorry it took so long to get back Second, thanks for all your help. The solution was the second adjustment wheel on the controller. A slight adjustment allowed for much better control of the trailer brakes. Again, thanks for your help.

Tags
brakes, trailer