Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Trailer lean

We recently purchased a 2013 Flagstaff T12BH Hard Side camper. We have not used it yet. I have noticed that when empty, no water in tank, etc that it leans toward the driver side on a level surface. I thought maybe that since most of the appliances are on that side it could cause the leaning. That side is about 3/4 inch lower or more. The tires are inflated the same. It has the AL KO axle. Should I be concerned?
woodrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #2

I would say "NO". I have had three trailer that have that same lean. Ever so little to the drivers side. Never had a problem.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Explorer

I have never had a leaning problem but I would question it too.
I would take a good look at the suspension maybe even raise it off the ground and be sure nothing is wrong. Then I would take some measurements and call the service center and if they say, “it’s normal”. I would fallow up with an E-mail so it’s documented.
If you plan on doing some traveling an evenly weighted trailer is optimum. A poorly loaded trailer could/should tow poorly(sway/bounce weird) and this could be more prominent at certain speeds or conditions. If you have brakes they could perform differently(especially on wet pavement). Tires will wear differently, bearings might have issues.

Maybe you can load the trailer to minimize weight difference and I hate to say it but there is probably no better way than to put some miles on, safely. Even if it tows true I would put my hand on the hubs when I stopped to see if they are hotter or overly hot on one side(I do this often on all of my trailers, hopefully it will prevent a catastrophic failure, only takes a few second.)
The right thing to do is load trailer just like you’ll use it and have it weighed. I am sure there are standard numbers for weight: 10-15% on tongue and as a GUESS 0-15% side to side
Camping is supposed to be relaxing so it’s good to solve all your issues before getting on the road.
Good luck,
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote