Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer sits very low

So I was crawling around under my new trailer today and I realised that the clearance was so low that I couldn't roll over. My hips don't fit. I had noticed when I arrived that the trailer sat low, but I hadn't realised the extent of it. It's been parked outside all winter, so it could just be that the tires need a little air, but I thought that I'd ask how normal this is, before trying to move it... I'm a total newbie at this so every little thing that's not the same as the trailers I've dealt with at work induces worrying.
Margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, you didn't give us a lot to go on. What trailer, and what size are your hips? (sorry, couldn't resist). I'm 5'10", 130 pounds, 29 inch waist, and can fit under anything except a Mazda Miata. We aren't all created equal, neither are trailers. Now the question is, could you fit under it before? Since your post says new trailer, I can only assume you don't know how tall it is, and you have been under it. As an RV tech, some are higher than others, and not everyone will fit under some of them. Check the tire pressure, and measure both sides from the ground, if they are close, no problem, just the way it is made.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

There's only about a foot of air between the ground and the trailer, that's what concerns me. I can fit, I just can't turn around under there. It might be normal, though. I'm just panicky because I'm totally new at this. The tires need to be changed, whatever happens, they're pretty old.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Could be normal. Still didn't post trailer make/model. If you are on fairly level ground, with the trailer fairly level, and you put the step, or steps out, and it is a normal step from the ground to the step, then all is normal. It takes a lot more to drag one then you think.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #5

Oh, it's an appalache 1973. I have a pic, just a sec...

Old 05-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Site Team

just to clarify, that trailer is not a Forest River product.

you should be able to get some basic help here, but i seriously doubt anyone here might have owned one like yours.

not sure but i think it was made in Canada. maybe one our Canadian members might have owned one.

you also might want to join a non-brand specific RV forum, like RV.net.
you might get more help there than here.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the pics, the trailer is sitting normal. It looks fairly level, and only has one step, so it shouldn't be any higher. There's really not much reason to make them tall, especially back then, because few people had 4 wheel drive to drag anything off road.

Looks good for it's age.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #8

I had a similar trailer years ago. I flipped the axle for more ground clearance. It was not that big of deal to do it and I gained right at 4" of clearance. You may consider the same if you are looking for more ground clearance.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

You may have the "Torsion" type axles, my Forest River does also. The Torsion axles use rubber bushings mounted into the ends of each axle and the spindle assembly are made to these. This allows the unit to sit closer to the ground/pavement than the spring type axles. I've seen some of the newer units made in the last two years with spring type axles which appear to be three feet (3 ft.) off the ground.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #10

Thurman, I don't think they had torsion axles in 1973!
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote