Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

Trailer wheel alignment

This may be of interest to those who tow considerable distances. After about fifteen thousand miles on my 2018 Surveyor 226, I noticed one tire was wearing severely, especially on the outer edge. To me, this indicated a toe-in situation. Since there are no adjustments, I was assuming a problem with the axle. I called my dealer and their correct response was, "you are out of warranty". Their incorrect (I thought) response was "you must have hit something." My reasoning was; if you hit something, the axle would be bent back and the tire would be toed out. I next called Forest River and they basically told me the same thing the dealer had. I understood the warranty period was lapsed but was frustrated, as I believed this was a manufacturer defect. With that in mind, I called Lippert Components, who make most of the suspension and many other components for our trailers. Lippert was not only very professional but also very helpful. They quickly acknowledged the problem was likely a defect and that their axles and suspension parts are warrantied for six years. They suggested I take it to an authorized service center. This was not a good option for me, as the nearest place was more than an hour away and they were scheduling service nearly eight weeks out. Instead, since I'm a DYI guy, they had me do some careful measurements, which confirmed the right rear tire was toed in about 1/2". After sending the measurements and some pictures, they agreed to replace both axles and even offered to pay for a new tire, to replace the damaged one. Since I was doing the labor, they also agreed to upgrade my shackles and spring bolts to the greaseable ones. This whole experience kind of blew me away... In a good way. When we are so often disappointed with the service we get from RV suppliers, this was a welcome change. So nice to know there are good companies who stand behind their products. They made a believer out of us and we're looking forward to many more adventures and miles with our Surveyor.
Surveyor226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, trailer, wheel