Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
2010 Georgetown

Trying balancing beads

I had to replace a tire, and it went on the right front. First trip into town (80 miles) and I noticed a lot more vibration in the front end. I looked and there are weights on the wheels, so they attempted to balance them.

After some recommendations from local shops, I am trying some balance beads, I was going to go with the ceramic ones, but I found a local shop who had some clear hard plastic ones. They are the smaller size (which can fit through the valve stem, and they came with a new valve core with a filter built in.

They were half the price of the ceramic ones, and they had them in stock.

I had a bottle and some plastic tubing, and I was able to load the first tire with beads. It took about 20 minutes (but it was better than taking the tire in to get the tire broken from the rim. It almost gave me a reason to buy a tool to break the tire rims.....

I am reading up to see if it is beat to leave the existing weights on or not.

There is a fairly well done writeup on the site that talks about how to do tests to see if you should leave the weights on or not..... I think that I will leave them on for the first run and see how it goes.

I will try to update this thread when I have had a chance to get it on the road, but t it may be a while. I need to finis a few updates and get things put away before I can safely get my daughter in it. Most of my trips are taking her to and from Physical Therapy or DR visits.

Right now, I am putting down some of the foam squares for a play area as flooring. We are talking about a trip from Anchorage to Dallas, with 2 big dogs and a cat. I hope that the flooring will be easier to sweep out. It also provides some padding both for my daughter and the dogs. I do not expect it to last very long, but it was on sale, and I have maybe $40 into it.

I am learning that there are a lot of notches and offsets. My daughter wanted me to put in some sheet vinyl..... if I do, I will end up pulling a few things out to make it easier, It would be a real pain to try and fit a single piece of sheet goods in the way it is laid out. If nothing else, the foam I am doing will be a close pattern so I can precut the floor, (leaving 2 inches to finish it off in place.)

It is a well used trailer, and I have a nice shop in Dallas (with both wood working ans some metal working tools.) , so when I get it down there, I may end up building new cabinets for the sink area, bath, seats for the eating area (I want to modify them anyhow..... I am thinking that it would be nice to be able to recline the one near the door back a little.... they are really uncomfortable right now, even after I made new cochins and added a layer of memory foam to them.....

Anyhow..... this was about the balancing beads.... If nothing else, I know we are headed into Anchorage next week, I will try and have it ready for that trip.
TST 507 TPMS
wilsonintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
2010 Georgetown

I did a short trip today, a few stretches up to 55. MUCH SMOOTHER, even with the beads in one tire, and with the old weights still on. I will put them in the other tires, starting with the other front.

I will have to reread the site and decide if I want to take off the weights or not. I do not have the right tool to pull them but I can manage it. Getting them off of the inside without pulling the tires will be a pain, so I may leave them in place.
TST 507 TPMS
Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 PM   #3

Why would you need to have the old weights on? It is counter-productive if you do.

Can I use beads in conjunction with weights?
No, you should not combine weights with the use of internal balancers. The reason being is they work against each other. If you have a balance issue, you only need Counteract.

FAQ | Counteract Balancing Beads

I put them into my TT this year and can't notice any difference as I am not sitting in it under motion, and I put on new wheels and tires.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
2010 Georgetown

Read now the weights are on there I don't have the pliers did make it real easy to pull them off

I know I can do it with the pliers and screwdrivers that I have

But I'm going to end up having to climb underneath and work on the back tire

I was also going to add him to the four tires in the back and that would mean pulling all of the tires to get the weights

A little unsure of how they fight each other

If the balancing beads in the concentrating on the late side without weights the beads would have to concentrate where the weights are

If the tire is perfectly fine then the beads would be evenly distributed
On the weeks I have or two weeks of equal size up is to each other

So with the weights in place as far as the beads in all it looks like a pretty well-balanced tired and so it should be almost to evenly distributed and it only has to concentrate less because the weeds are doing most of the work

I'm not trying to be a pain with this I am truly trying to understand the physics behind wider counteract each other instead of being able to work in unison which means the beads should just be evenly distributed but only having to counteract for the minor change

I understand that the beads cannot accommodate lateral imbalances that they will be concentrated long the center line of the tire

If the wait we're only on one side then I could see that since the beads will only be in the center of that the laterally imbalance would make it impossible for the beach to work

But in my case the beads the weights are evenly distributed inside the outside so they're not imposing in the lateral and balance

Again I'm asking not to be a pain but to understand what's going on
TST 507 TPMS
Old 07-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonintexas View Post
I had to replace a tire, and it went on the right front. First trip into town (80 miles) and I noticed a lot more vibration in the front end. I looked and there are weights on the wheels, so they attempted to balance them.

After some recommendations from local shops, I am trying some balance beads, I was going to go with the ceramic ones, but I found a local shop who had some clear hard plastic ones. They are the smaller size (which can fit through the valve stem, and they came with a new valve core with a filter built in.

They were half the price of the ceramic ones, and they had them in stock.

I had a bottle and some plastic tubing, and I was able to load the first tire with beads. It took about 20 minutes (but it was better than taking the tire in to get the tire broken from the rim. It almost gave me a reason to buy a tool to break the tire rims.....

I am reading up to see if it is beat to leave the existing weights on or not.

There is a fairly well done writeup on the site that talks about how to do tests to see if you should leave the weights on or not..... I think that I will leave them on for the first run and see how it goes.

I will try to update this thread when I have had a chance to get it on the road, but t it may be a while. I need to finis a few updates and get things put away before I can safely get my daughter in it. Most of my trips are taking her to and from Physical Therapy or DR visits.

Right now, I am putting down some of the foam squares for a play area as flooring. We are talking about a trip from Anchorage to Dallas, with 2 big dogs and a cat. I hope that the flooring will be easier to sweep out. It also provides some padding both for my daughter and the dogs. I do not expect it to last very long, but it was on sale, and I have maybe $40 into it.

I am learning that there are a lot of notches and offsets. My daughter wanted me to put in some sheet vinyl..... if I do, I will end up pulling a few things out to make it easier, It would be a real pain to try and fit a single piece of sheet goods in the way it is laid out. If nothing else, the foam I am doing will be a close pattern so I can precut the floor, (leaving 2 inches to finish it off in place.)

It is a well used trailer, and I have a nice shop in Dallas (with both wood working ans some metal working tools.) , so when I get it down there, I may end up building new cabinets for the sink area, bath, seats for the eating area (I want to modify them anyhow..... I am thinking that it would be nice to be able to recline the one near the door back a little.... they are really uncomfortable right now, even after I made new cochins and added a layer of memory foam to them.....

Anyhow..... this was about the balancing beads.... If nothing else, I know we are headed into Anchorage next week, I will try and have it ready for that trip.
Have been using the ceramic beds for years. no issues, don't need to remove weights not counter productive. Have used beads with weights on my TV with large tires. Have read where the plastic beads tend to break up after while rending them useless. I know from experience the ceramic after 80K on the TV tires were like new I could have reused. Beads are god don't worry about the weights.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:40 AM   #6
2010 Georgetown

I have been reading up on several bead sites. I ma trying to find the one that had a long procedure of how to determine when to take off weights or not. From what I remember If the weights are offset (and uneven??) then they are trying to accoomidate an imbalance that is lateral, and to leave them on.

The only one I cold track down on the ceramic site basically said that a except on a motorcycle, you can leave the weights on (and may need less beads)

One site (One of the glass bead ones) said that it would fight each other.

I use to be a good engineer, and before I went on disabiliuty, I had access to a Modeling program, that I would have fired up to try and model this....

From what I can remember from my Strength of Materials classes, (where this tyoe of thing was covered) It does not make any since to take them off. They are providing a better starting point.

The only logoc I can come up with, is that the beads are on the centerline of the wheel, and the weights are not, So if the imbalance is centered on the tire, the beads correcting it along the center line could be better

BUT the reason there is an imbalance is that the molding process is imperfect. So shy would we assume that the imbalance is centered?

Maybe someone out there has access to a FEA program and can model it for us.
TST 507 TPMS
Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #7

You mentioned balancing beads which I was going to put on my Honda Goldwing till the dealer said if you do your new tires will not be warrantied. The beads cause severe corrosion on aluminum rims. So beware
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfa View Post
You mentioned balancing beads which I was going to put on my Honda Goldwing till the dealer said if you do your new tires will not be warrantied. The beads cause severe corrosion on aluminum rims. So beware
How can they be corrosive? They are ceramic beads, used them for several tires on our Goldwing. I even put 4 oz in each of my new GY Endurance tires I just put on our Shockwave.
I got tired of buying them for the GW and switched to Centramatics, no
need to balance tires and even straightened out the handling of the bike. Of course I never dealt with a dealer on tires, just too high priced.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #9

I only know what the dealer told me then he pulled some photos of the inside of the rims that had them in and they were extremely pitted.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #10

I put Centramatics on the bike.

I got 12k on the last set of tires with them on and 8-9 K on the first set without them but I really expected more milage and I'm s fanatic on checking tire pressure on the GW.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #11

https://checkeredflagtirebalancebead...s-and-answers/
Old 08-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfa View Post
I put Centramatics on the bike.

I got 12k on the last set of tires with them on and 8-9 K on the first set without them but I really expected more milage and I'm s fanatic on checking tire pressure on the GW.
I got tired of changing rear tires I went to the dark side, run a car tire 22,000 miles minimum. The centramatics really do help, no more cupping too! Still run a Bridgestone on the front get about 12,000 with it, just as smooth when it's worn out as when it was new.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:15 AM   #13
2010 Georgetown

All of my rims are steel so ther are harder than alum

I suspect pitting is corrosion from moisture trapped in tire

I have seen some pretty corroded wheels without beads

Ceramic beads could basically sand blast the in side but i would think that they would actually smooth it out over time

I have picked up a dryer in the air line and have put it just before the air chuck. I hope that it dries out the air to avoid problemd

I have seen some pitted and corroded wheels of all types without beads
TST 507 TPMS
Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #14

Dry nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonintexas View Post
All of my rims are steel so ther are harder than alum

I suspect pitting is corrosion from moisture trapped in tire

I have seen some pretty corroded wheels without beads

Ceramic beads could basically sand blast the in side but i would think that they would actually smooth it out over time

I have picked up a dryer in the air line and have put it just before the air chuck. I hope that it dries out the air to avoid problemd

I have seen some pitted and corroded wheels of all types without beads
And this is yet another reason some folks run DRY nitrogen in their tires versus air.

Yes, I know nitrogen is a scam perpetrated on us by the nitrogen industry. Kinda like the synthetic oil scam
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote