Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #41

I went camping this weekend and stopped after a down hill run to check wheel temps with a hand held, I shot the brake drums and found one of four drums was cold (~85 degrees compared to ~290 for the other wheels), obviously brakes not working on the one. That's a huge variance at the drum but it translated to a ~12 degree temp difference on the monitor between the one tire and the other four. So now I don't just watch for high temp, I keep a lookout for a low temp that can indicate brake malfunction.

Still not sure why Dan @ TST did not join this thread, anyway, I still think they put out a great product and have great customer service, just need to call them...
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
What happens when I disconnect from the TT and just want to see TPMS data from truck only?????
There is a procedure - I think its hold 'mode' and 'minus' for a few seconds (until it beeps). Then it won't cycle through the 'missing' trailer sensors. Same sequence to re-enable. Its in the manual.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
There is a procedure - I think its hold 'mode' and 'minus' for a few seconds (until it beeps). Then it won't cycle through the 'missing' trailer sensors. Same sequence to re-enable. Its in the manual.
That I did not know of in the manual, but if the sensors are off the trailer then it would only read the ones that are on and connected. If I take one off the rest still work and the one taken off shows the placement blank. It would take longer to get your readings being that the monitor was set up 8 tires not 4, it would still check all 8 that is my understanding at least. But I have been wrong so so many times....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #44

The batteries on my sensors need to be replaced and now at least 2 sensors will come on but after a few minutes they will drop out. I'll order 8 more batteries once I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The batteries on my sensors need to be replaced and now at least 2 sensors will come on but after a few minutes they will drop out. I'll order 8 more batteries once I get home.

I had the same problem, what it came back to be for some reason I had to loosen the shrader valve on the tire a little and they all read again, I got that info from TST and never had the problem again. I installed batteries twice until I called them. Not saying that is your problem but the valves O rings do get depressed after awhile. I did what they said and I'm on over 2 years with the same batteries. They were reading zero... Now if I can find my Flag again.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #46

My batteries are more than two years old, they have lasted longer than I thought they would

Old 03-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #47

Following this thread as I'm interested in a good quality TPMS system for the camper. The newer tow vehicles have a built in TPMS. Does the TST offer any real advantage over the oem system? I guess the ability to look at temp/pressure in semi-real time? 5 minutes between updates? Geeez,...a lot can happen in 5 minutes! I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a 4 point TPMS or an 8 point. I notice the common package system is a 6 point, so I assume that would be 4 sensors for the camper and 2 for the rear truck tires? I would think that an 8 point system should be available. The biggest thing that grinds my gears is that they sell this system for camping trailers, yet it works poorly "unless" you also drop another $80 on a repeater!!!
That leaves a bitter taste with me. Dang it! Build the system to work correctly for a stinkin camping trailer without gouging the consumer. This marketing system really turns me off. <rant off>
Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Following this thread as I'm interested in a good quality TPMS system for the camper. The newer tow vehicles have a built in TPMS. Does the TST offer any real advantage over the oem system? I guess the ability to look at temp/pressure in semi-real time? 5 minutes between updates? Geeez,...a lot can happen in 5 minutes! I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a 4 point TPMS or an 8 point. I notice the common package system is a 6 point, so I assume that would be 4 sensors for the camper and 2 for the rear truck tires? I would think that an 8 point system should be available. The biggest thing that grinds my gears is that they sell this system for camping trailers, yet it works poorly "unless" you also drop another $80 on a repeater!!!
That leaves a bitter taste with me. Dang it! Build the system to work correctly for a stinkin camping trailer without gouging the consumer. This marketing system really turns me off. <rant off>
It reads faster then every 5 mins. It will change reading at every revolution. I have a 32' trailer and I find no need at all for a repeater. Mine will pick up 10' from the trailer. I turn it on before I hook-up, so I know this is true. Now if you had 1 40' M/H with a dolly and you wanted to monitor the dolly, I would think that would take a booster only....

Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #49
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I don't have my TPMS in front of me but some of your assumptions are not quite correct. It does read more frequently than every 5 minutes. Mine updates every time it cycles back to each tire so that's maybe every 15 seconds or so.

The TST has the ability to monitor (I'm going from memory here as again, it isn't in front of me) up to 18 tires. While you could use the six sensor unit to monitor the rear wheels of your tow vehicle, I think the six sensor package had a trailer with three axles in mind when doing the packaging. Again, If you want to monitor all your tow vehicles tires and all your camper's tires, it can do it. Just purchase the amount of sensors needed to do what you want.

As far as gouging the consumer on the repeater, as was also mentioned earlier, not every length combination needs it. I don't. Mine works just fine. I appreciate the company not making me buy something I don't need. If your rig is too long for it to work correctly, then so be it, you need the repeater. Not all set-ups do and for those that don't, it works perfectly fine as it is.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #50

About your vehicle that you tow with, I know on the GM models the TPMS comes standard on the 2500 but not on the 3500. I have had a 2500 and I had rather have the sensors that are on the valve stem. When you balance and rotate the tires the ones on the valve stem are easier to get right again.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #51

3500 needs the TPMS also

Davidg, I had some initial problems with my TST-507rv dropping the connection with the 4 sensors on the TT. However, I moved the monitor from the windshield to the left rear window of the extended cab TV and have not had a sensor drop on several extended trips. The DW is now the tire monitor and keeps an eye on the readings. Still, with the alarm it isn't really necessary to check it very often, it will certainly let you know if a problem occurs. After upgrading to a 3500HD GMC crew cab dually, I suspect I will need the repeater now, because the distance to the TT wheels just increased about 3'. GMC does not offer TPMS for the 3500 series, I don't know why and I asked, so I am going to add 6 more sensors to the TV wheels before I tow any distance again.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 AM   #52

TST 507

Quote:
My 507 came with 4 sensors. I only need 4 because our RAM already has sensors in all of the truck tires. It's difficult to put into words just how much peace of mind our monitor provides us while towing. Tonight we just arrived home after a 500 mile tow. Our TST 507 updates each cycle (about every 15 seconds) and will immediately sound the alarm when it decides something is wrong. I found this out when, with my monitor turned on) I decided to add air to one of my tires. The moment I began to unscrew the sensor the alarm sounded.

You won't have to worry about needing a repeater. Tractors with terribly long trailers may need one but for us RVers it is seldom ever needed. We ordered ours directly from the company in Georgia who were less expensive than many Amazon vendors. The amount of damage a blown tire can do compared to spending $250 on the TST 507 make the TST a bargain. It will repay you with the first time it alerts you to a problem.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:13 AM   #53

Oldbob X2! Peace of mind
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
My 507 came with 4 sensors. I only need 4 because our RAM already has sensors in all of the truck tires. It's difficult to put into words just how much peace of mind our monitor provides us while towing. Tonight we just arrived home after a 500 mile tow. Our TST 507 updates each cycle (about every 15 seconds) and will immediately sound the alarm when it decides something is wrong. I found this out when, with my monitor turned on) I decided to add air to one of my tires. The moment I began to unscrew the sensor the alarm sounded.

You won't have to worry about needing a repeater. Tractors with terribly long trailers may need one but for us RVers it is seldom ever needed. We ordered ours directly from the company in Georgia who were less expensive than many Amazon vendors. The amount of damage a blown tire can do compared to spending $250 on the TST 507 make the TST a bargain. It will repay you with the first time it alerts you to a problem.
x'2 you are correct .....

Old 03-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #55

IMO, 300 F is a lot of breaking. If you have those screw on sensors, make sure the valve cores are metal.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #56
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have 507s. A few comments. Batteries can be bought at Walmart and are easy to change. When I went to a longer 5er I needed the repeater, $50 not 80. Metal stems if you use the 507s with the anti-theft locks, otherwise you can go without.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It reads faster then every 5 mins. It will change reading at every revolution. I have a 32' trailer and I find no need at all for a repeater. Mine will pick up 10' from the trailer. I turn it on before I hook-up, so I know this is true. Now if you had 1 40' M/H with a dolly and you wanted to monitor the dolly, I would think that would take a booster only....
From TST website TST manual page number 1 number three states and I quote "3. Sensor transmit Temperature and pressure data every five minutes" It doesn't send data every revolution like you stated above.

But it also states that loss of air it will immediately send a signal.

Here is the link http://tsttruck.com/wp-content/uploa...ser-manual.pdf
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post

It's not every 15 seconds it's every 5 minutes and if you loose the signal it will display the last setting up to hour after the signal is loss. After you unhook you RV leave you monitor on and take a drive and see what I'm talking about. I have drove 50 miles before the sensor went to zero.

Take a look at page one item number three of the TST manual right on their website and here is the link to the manual ..http://tsttruck.com/wp-content/uploa...ser-manual.pdf

States every 5 minutes.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #59
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
It's not every 15 seconds it's every 5 minutes and if you loose the signal it will display the last setting up to hour after the signal is loss. After you unhook you RV leave you monitor on and take a drive and see what I'm talking about. I have drove 50 miles before the sensor went to zero.

Take a look at page one item number three of the TST manual right on their website and here is the link to the manual ..http://tsttruck.com/wp-content/uploa...ser-manual.pdf

States every 5 minutes.
It does say 5 minutes in the manual.

A phone call to TST pointed me to updated info on their website.
Here is what that states...
The sensors transmit tire pressure and tire temperature to the monitor every two minutes unless a gradual tire deflation, rapid tire deflation, or elevated tire temperature event is encountered. In such a circumstance, the reporting is continuous until tire pressure or tire temperature returns to a normal range.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It does say 5 minutes in the manual.

A phone call to TST pointed me to updated info on their website.
Here is what that states...
The sensors transmit tire pressure and tire temperature to the monitor every two minutes unless a gradual tire deflation, rapid tire deflation, or elevated tire temperature event is encountered. In such a circumstance, the reporting is continuous until tire pressure or tire temperature returns to a normal range.
That funny because tech support about a month ago told me that is was 5 minutes for the 507 system. Do you have a link to the info?

Edit ----
I found the reference to 2 minutes and I found another reference on the website to 5 minutes. Looks like they need to update the manual and website to the correct info.

Edit Again. That is a recent change to the sensors and the older models do send every 5 minutes and the newer ones every 2 minutes.

Tags
tire