Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #1

TST Color Monitor going blank

Just arrived yesterday from 7 hour trip. During the trip, the new TST Color Monitor kept going blank. I'd look at it and it would be blank. I'd mess with it best I could, turn off and on.........mostly nothing happened......then I'd finally get it on. But before it would register all the tires, it'd be blank again.

I'd assume (????) it's batteries. It obviously has some. But to access will require a tiny screwdriver to remove back panel. I have that, but don't want to void a warranty or break it. Plus, I have no clue what kind of batteries it takes.

In the meantime, I also have a new b/w monitor that they included when I got this. Will that work if I just plug it in? (Yeah, I could walk 10 steps and try it, and I will, but thought I'd ask while I'm typing this. LOL)

??

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #2

Well, no one else seems to have this problem.

FYI, you can take the back off.........but you can NOT change the batteries!

I plugged it in again, while stationary here in campground, and it's working.......for now.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #3

Contact member mbenson1234, he is with TST.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'd contact Mike Benson.(210-420-0132) And yes you can use the BW monitor will work with the system. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

I emailed Mike. We've talked before. This isn't critical, didn't want to bother him on phone. Right now it's working again. Odd.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Retired Member

Only have the B&W monitor but it has removable cable to plug into vehicle 12v system to charge.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwmiata View Post
Only have the B&W monitor but it has removable cable to plug into vehicle 12v system to charge.
Both units the same for charging. Removable plug. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I emailed Mike. We've talked before. This isn't critical, didn't want to bother him on phone. Right now it's working again. Odd.
Was it charging while driving? Mine did the same thing on our trip, but only when plugged in while driving. It would cycle through the tires, and after awhile it seemed like the tires weren't updating, sure enough it'd go blank - but not completely turn off. The monitor is turned on in the pic and registered the tires for a bit. I tried turning it on and off but it doesn't turn off fully while charging. I charged it prior to using it for the rest of the trip with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	183882  
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #9

What about your repeater? I also promptly wired in the repeater at the battery that evening after it was acting up as well.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 08-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Was it charging while driving? Mine did the same thing on our trip, but only when plugged in while driving. It would cycle through the tires, and after awhile it seemed like the tires weren't updating, sure enough it'd go blank - but not completely turn off. The monitor is turned on in the pic and registered the tires for a bit. I tried turning it on and off but it doesn't turn off fully while charging. I charged it prior to using it for the rest of the trip with no issues.
It is/was charging while driving. It is charging while stationary. But it never seems to get fully charged.

I just had an epiphany! LOL. I went out and replaced the usb cable that connects it with a different one. And I left out the cigarette lighter plug and just plugged it into the truck usb female slot. It came on and seems 'hardier'......not going blank at a touch. SO....it might (?) be the cable and not the monitor. However, I will let it charge overnight, plugged in, and go tomorrow to see if it charged up and is more stable. If not, it goes back to TST. Covered either way!

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

Sounds like you found it. No issues with our new color monitor yet. Couple trips and still on the initial charge.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #12

Quote:
It is/was charging while driving. It is charging while stationary. But it never seems to get fully charged.

I just had an epiphany! LOL. I went out and replaced the usb cable that connects it with a different one. And I left out the cigarette lighter plug and just plugged it into the truck usb female slot. It came on and seems 'hardier'......not going blank at a touch. SO....it might (?) be the cable and not the monitor. However, I will let it charge overnight, plugged in, and go tomorrow to see if it charged up and is more stable. If not, it goes back to TST. Covered either way!

You need a repeater. When I turn mine on, it’s blank for a few minutes or more. The unit needs to acquire the tire signals. I have a repeater, too.

If it cycles through the tires, and is “blank” it’s not getting a signal.

Take the unit back to the tires and let it sit a while, bet it works!
BikerMikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:

Looking at this picture the battery indicator shows no charge.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
Looking at this picture the battery indicator shows no charge.
Just the way the screen messes with the camera. It was 2/3 and charging by lighter socket. If you look close you can see 2 bars
Old 08-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #15

Quote:
I just had an epiphany! LOL. I went out and replaced the usb cable that connects it with a different one. And I left out the cigarette lighter plug and just plugged it into the truck usb female slot.
Wouldn't be the first time a usb/plug cable combo doesn't do a good job of charging. Some outlets may require a handshake to deliver full power and your adapter may be one of them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMikeyB View Post
You need a repeater. When I turn mine on, it’s blank for a few minutes or more. The unit needs to acquire the tire signals. I have a repeater, too.

If it cycles through the tires, and is “blank” it’s not getting a signal.

Take the unit back to the tires and let it sit a while, bet it works!
I have a repeater. It isn't a matter of not picking up any of the tires, either truck or trailer. When it works, it picks 'em all up.

The cord I changed maybe (?) fixed the issue of jiggling loose and going blank. But it will NOT charge. Just keeps charging....going from 0 to full bars........ but never getting charged.

I'll send it in when I get home Mid Sept.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #17

Quote:
I have a repeater. It isn't a matter of not picking up any of the tires, either truck or trailer. When it works, it picks 'em all up.

The cord I changed maybe (?) fixed the issue of jiggling loose and going blank. But it will NOT charge. Just keeps charging but never getting charged.

I'll send it in when I get home Mid Sept.
Mine would take a few hours just to charge a 1/3. I think the battery just holds that much charge, and if you don't use a nice big wall adapter, it takes awhile.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 08-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Mine would take a few hours just to charge a 1/3. I think the battery just holds that much charge, and if you don't use a nice big wall adapter, it takes awhile.
Ok, thanks. Until 3 days ago, this one charged just fine in the truck.

I will try bringing it in and trying via a 120v adapter.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Just arrived yesterday from 7 hour trip. During the trip, the new TST Color Monitor kept going blank. I'd look at it and it would be blank. I'd mess with it best I could, turn off and on.........mostly nothing happened......then I'd finally get it on. But before it would register all the tires, it'd be blank again.

I'd assume (????) it's batteries. It obviously has some. But to access will require a tiny screwdriver to remove back panel. I have that, but don't want to void a warranty or break it. Plus, I have no clue what kind of batteries it takes.

In the meantime, I also have a new b/w monitor that they included when I got this. Will that work if I just plug it in? (Yeah, I could walk 10 steps and try it, and I will, but thought I'd ask while I'm typing this. LOL)

??

How often do you re-charge the battery in the Monitor? If you don't shut the monitor off every night I bet it's only good for a couple days.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
How often do you re-charge the battery in the Monitor? If you don't shut the monitor off every night I bet it's only good for a couple days.
Shut it off every time I get to a camping site. Not on unless I'm towing, or occasionally when driving truck without camper.

FROG AR-0019-242