Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

TT is extremly 'shaky'

We are absolute newbees with Camping trailer but we did now a few trips and love it so far, only one thing really bothers us and we hope somebody can help us with info.
Our Rockwood 2304 is moving extremly when we walk inside around. We put the stabilazers on ground but it seems that it does not help at all
When somebody walks inside the other falls out of bed
Do we do something wrong or is that how it is?
Is ther a mechanical solution? Something we can install that out TT is more sturdy?
Claudialunow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

I am sure others will give great info.
Front stabilizers, rear stabilizers, solid chocking of tires
plus the front jack(manual or electric) should be a great
start. it appears you have only 2 wheels so tire chocking
is important. hope this helps.
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

If you have four tires on your rig, investigate a product known as "X-Chocks". Stops a lot of movement.
I hope the comment about falling out of bed is just a comment and not a fact.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Tandem wheel chocks are the first thing to try.
Many find that this, along with the stabs, does the trick.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #5

Wheel chocks do work as I learned with my previous TT. But this new (2015) unit has the spread axles which require the extended X-chocks. I learned from a post on this forum how to use a ratcheting tie-down strap between two rims to stop the wheels from moving, works for me.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

I will try the x shocks first.
It is a bit frustrating that the stabilizers which come with the tt are not very good for leveling
Is there a product on market which auto levels?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudialunow View Post
I will try the x shocks first.

It is a bit frustrating that the stabilizers which come with the tt are not very good for leveling

Is there a product on market which auto levels?

An auto leveling system can be very expensive(at lest to me). I think the thing that has helped me the most was the jt strongarm system. There are other brands too.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Stabilizers are NEVER to used for leveling!🤤🤤🤤
Unless you like replacing them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Stabilizers are NEVER to used for leveling!🤤🤤🤤
Unless you like replacing them.
For what are they there then if not for leveling?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
Carknocker Family

Quote:
Stability, you level with the plastic Lego blocks for side to side level. Tongue jack for front to back.

If you have slides on one side, generally you would leave that side high about an inch or two. It will level itself when sides deploy.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...Qwg8IHQ&adurl=
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
They help with the tipping of the end of the trailer when you walk front to back or back to front. I think what you are describing is the movement in either direction front or back, when walking inside, not the tipping. That is coming from your wheels doing what they do, trying to roll. The rolling may be small a movement but you can feel it, big time. Using a device like an X-Chock will prevent the wheel roll.

It is just another thing to spend money on. lol...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #12

If you extend your stabilizers to the max, they are useless. I keep 4 4"x8" wood blocks in my unit and place them under the stabilizers and it makes a big difference when they are opened 60% vs 90%.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #13

We've taken most of the shake out of our trailer with Valterra RV stabilizers.

Mods - RV stabilizers

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #14

What everyone is saying is to level the tt first by placing blocks under the tires for side to side level and using the tongue jack for front to back level. When I had my tt years ago, I used what was called a stack jack under the frame at all four corners. Now they use lego blocks. After the tt is pretty level then you use the stabilizers. I never used the wheel chocks on my tt and never seem to have a problem, but I did block my wheels with a wood block. They have better products out there now then back in the 70's and 80's when I had my tt. We went to a motorhome from the tt and it didn't have stabilizers or jacks. I always carried pieces of wood to level it. Now the MH we have has levelers but you still need to carry a few pieces of wood to help with the leveling.
Once you get the tt blocked and leveled and the stabilizers set with wheels chocked you will find the tt is much more stable.
Good luck and happy camping.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #15

This rocking situation is also under discussion within the General Tech & Repair, the post of - One Post, Two Questions.
I hope I got that right anyhow ~~
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #16

Stabilizers are at the extremities, usually in the back or four corners except on 5rs. Leveling jacks, original equipment are attached to the frame where they won't bend the frame excessively. Most frames do have some flex, leveling jacks adjusted too far out could cause wall/floor separations. That's why most manufacturers use stabilizers, especially on ultra lights
Old 06-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #17

I've found that you can take a lot of the shake out, but there will always be some. Get used to it. The stabilizers help some, X-chocks help some, but you may have to adjust your expectations some, as well.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #18

As others have stated, the stabilizer jacks should not be used for leveling. They will fail if the TT moves even just a little. I recommend you get a 2 foot carpenter's level and a handfull of 2 foot pieces of 2"x8" boards that you can place under the tires on the low side of the TT on set-up. The reason I chose a 2 foot level has to do with estimating the number of planks you need to level the TT. When you first get on the campsite and almost have the TT in position, lay the level on the floor or back bumper. You can lift one end of the level until the bubble is centered. Measure the distance level to floor/bumper in 1/4" increments. If you do the trigonometry for an 8' wide trailer, the 2 ' level is 1/4th the width, so the amount of blocking you need is 4 times the level measurement or each 1/4" level to floor/bumper you need 1" of tire rise on the low side. Lay the planks in front of or behind both tires and tow the tt onto the planks. This should have you level side to side. Chock the tires and level the front to rear using the front jack. (You may want to detach the TV and remove the WDH in the process.) Now run the stabilizer jacks down until they touch the ground and snug about 1 more turn(if soft soil, use a plank or pad under the jack.) If you still have the bouncies inside, you can add additional jacks near the wheels. If you want to spend the $$, the Lynx Levelers are really good Lego Pads at 1" height increments. ......Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You've got a lot of good information about x-chocks and what stabilizers do. (or don't)

You will find that even with the added stabilization, you will still get some movement.
Many have had some luck adding a third set of stabilizers in the center.

Many others have gone even farther and added triangular bracing systems such as JT's Strong Arms or STEADYfast. Google either for more information.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #20

Our setup process

We have owned 4 trailers previously (2 Tent and 2 hard side). Our current trailer a Rockwood 2509S is only 2 weeks old but here is what we do:

1. Get some levels stuck on the side and front of the trailer. We use the drivers side for ease of viewing. Use a carpenter's level to set the levels glued to the outside of the trailer.
2. Level the trailer side to side (looking at the front level) using blocks. We have both "Lego" and wood blocks.
3. Block the wheels both front and back so it can't roll on you.
4. Unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle. Use the tongue jack to get it level front to back using the level on the side of the trailer.
5. Put the X-Chocks on both sets of wheels. Don't do this before now or you could twist the frame when adjusting the tongue jack.
6. Lower the corner stabilizer jacks until you see the trailer raise and inch or so higher on each corner.

The corner jacks will not stop front to back movement. Wheel chocks or X-Chocks will do this.

Our trailer is very stable doing this. Let us know how it works and enjoy the time outdoors.
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote