Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Turning on truck lights causes trailer brakes to lock!

We were coming back from our second trip with our new camper when it started to rain heavily. My husbacd turned on the lights in the truck and the trailer brakes locked up. My husband had to shut off the brake controller for the rest of the ride. We have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 and pull a rockwood Roo 19. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and if so what in the heck is going on? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Experienced Newbie

it's possible that the running lights connection to the trailer is miswired to the electric brakes.

You can verify this while stationary using the following diagram.
Source: http://www.ajtnt.com/blog/wp-content.../08/7-way1.jpg

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952 View Post
We were coming back from our second trip with our new camper when it started to rain heavily. My husbacd turned on the lights in the truck and the trailer brakes locked up. My husband had to shut off the brake controller for the rest of the ride. We have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 and pull a rockwood Roo 19. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and if so what in the heck is going on? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
My first question would be, "Who installed the brake controller?"
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
DDC

I've never seen a brake controller with an off switch, think I'd rather turn the lights out and have brakes. Someone has wired it up wrong shouldn't be too hard to find.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #5

The brake controller was installed by a very reputable dealer here in our town who deals strickly with hitches, controllers, and receivers. However, we are taking it back to him on Monday so he can "double check" everything. And if things weren't bad enough-my husband just came in and informed we have our first flat! In all our 30 years of camping we have NEVER had a flat!! And this TT has about 300 miles on it and we get one. We are doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
ses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952
The brake controller was installed by a very reputable dealer here in our town who deals strickly with hitches, controllers, and receivers. However, we are taking it back to him on Monday so he can "double check" everything. And if things weren't bad enough-my husband just came in and informed we have our first flat! In all our 30 years of camping we have NEVER had a flat!! And this TT has about 300 miles on it and we get one. We are doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wouldn't say doomed, maybe lucky it wasn't flat at 60 -65mph on interstate !
ses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #7

On my brake controller, Prodigy P2. I installed it with no problems, pulled the panel cover, inserted the pigtail that came with it into the socket, plugged in the controller, drilled holes for my controller mount and it was done. I hooked up my tt later and adjusted it. I have had no problems with it. You might have a wiring problem somewhere that has been there all along. Keep us posted on what you find out? I am curious to know just in case I have that problem arise in the future with mine.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, led pad