Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #1

TV Tire Question - changing tire size

Hello,

I want to replace my existing P265/65R18 tires on my 2016 Silverado 1500 with a more durable tire. My understanding is that there are no LT tires (10 ply) in that size so I'd have to go with LT265/70R18. I don't want an all-terrain tire as I don't do any off-road driving and we seldom have snow here in Charleston, SC.

I realize this may make my speedometer read slightly incorrect (speed shown on speedometer less than actual speed by < 5 mph at 65mph).

Is there any downside to going with the LT265/70R18? Should that work fine with my existing stock wheels?

Thanks again,

Seakayaker
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

It's actually less than 2mph. I would do it. You might even be able to get your ECU flashed to make the correction.

Your wheels will be fine since you aren't changing the width at all.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
Hello,

I want to replace my existing P265/65R18 tires on my 2016 Silverado 1500 with a more durable tire. My understanding is that there are no LT tires (10 ply) in that size so I'd have to go with LT265/70R18.
Seakayaker
Stock size load range E, 10 ply options;
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/f...Ratio=65&text=
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
Stock size load range E, 10 ply options;
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/f...Ratio=65&text=
Did you miss his statement where he didn't want an all terrain tire?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

After calling multiple tire stores and even the Chevy dealership, I've decided to go with the all terrains in the 265/65R18 size (BFG KO2's to be exact). I can't find any tire store that will CONFIDENTLY tell me that the 265/70R18's would not cause any problems. The Chevy dealership was 100% "by the books" in their answer----they're not going to recommend anything at all that's not the same as what it came with from the factory. Hopefully the BFG KO2's will be good and not too loud on the hwy.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

if you didn't want an AT tire, I would not get those KO2s. Way to aggressive. Way too loud.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
if you didn't want an AT tire, I would not get those KO2s. Way to aggressive. Way too loud.
Had to get an all terrain tire in order to keep the 265/65R18 size. Regarding noise, several reviews claim this tire is very quiet for an AT tire.

I'll know tomorrow after they are installed and will report back then.

All that said, I did see some reviews where others had severe degradation of fuel efficiency when changing tire size from 265/65R18 on Silverados. That also factored into this decision-making.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Had to get an all terrain tire in order to keep the 265/65R18 size. Regarding noise, several reviews claim this tire is very quiet for an AT tire.

All that said, I did see some reviews where others had severe degradation of fuel efficiency when changing tire size from 265/65R18 on Silverados. That also factored into this decision-making.
That is crazy. If anything, going to the slightly larger diameter would help you mileage. It's only a 3% or so difference in diameter/circumstance. Have to take some of these reviews with a grain of salt.

I have personally ridden in trucks that have this tire...no thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

Call Tire Rack. They will tell you the difference in circumference of your current tire vs. the new tire. Include the brand names so they can be fairly precise.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After calling multiple tire stores and even the Chevy dealership, I've decided to go with the all terrains in the 265/65R18 size (BFG KO2's to be exact). I can't find any tire store that will CONFIDENTLY tell me that the 265/70R18's would not cause any problems. The Chevy dealership was 100% "by the books" in their answer----they're not going to recommend anything at all that's not the same as what it came with from the factory. Hopefully the BFG KO2's will be good and not too loud on the hwy.
Quote:
Quote:

When I put KO2s on my Ram (albeit 20s, not 18s) believe it or not, they were actually quieter than the Wrangler P tires I was replacing.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #11

If the water's not over the dam, these are truck tires. They are the same tire I just installed on my RAM 1500 (in a different size...20's).

Consumer Reports recommends these and several others.
85,000 mile tread wear. Sold widely.
Tire Rack will ship them to a local installer if you can't find them locally, and they will install as a pre-arranged part of the deal.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
RV There Yet?

changing to a larger tire diameter is kind of like going from 4.10 axles to 3.73 axles (MUCH exaggerated example). the true facts are listed in the pic below as far as tire size and difference. i have been using this calculator for years and found it to be very relaiable. but, check the manufacturers website for your exact measurements. otherwise we are just guessing. i have put the exact same "size" tires on, but different brands and when looking at the manufacturers specs, they are slightly different. you will be hard pressed to find a sturdier tire in 265/65-18. going up to a 70 profile opens LOTS of doors. i personally like the Kumho Road Venture AT51 tires. but you will certainly lose 1-2 mpg going to any AT tire.

https://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/tirescgi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	183339  
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello,

I want to replace my existing P265/65R18 tires on my 2016 Silverado 1500 with a more durable tire. My understanding is that there are no LT tires (10 ply) in that size so I'd have to go with LT265/70R18. I don't want an all-terrain tire as I don't do any off-road driving and we seldom have snow here in Charleston, SC.

I realize this may make my speedometer read slightly incorrect (speed shown on speedometer less than actual speed by < 5 mph at 65mph).

Is there any downside to going with the LT265/70R18? Should that work fine with my existing stock wheels?

Thanks again,

Seakayaker
To determine the recommended cold inflation pressures for any plus sized tire you must first confirm the load capacity the original tires provided. In your case you need to get the recommended cold inflation pressures from the tire placard. Then find a chart for the OE tire size and find the load capacity the OE tires were providing. Then find a load inflation chart for the LT tires and use an inflation pressure that will match or exceed the load capacity the OE tires were providing. (The vehicle manufacturer already factored-in the 10% derating of the original "P" tires when they fitted them to the truck).

NHTSA allows the use of auxiliary tire placards for your tire change. At the very minimum you should put all the new information in the "notes" section of your vehicle owner manual.

There are tires out there that will work, see below. It's just one of many I found during a WWW search.

https://www.tires-easy.com/265-65-18...de/90000023633
Old 08-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
When I put KO2s on my Ram (albeit 20s, not 18s) believe it or not, they were actually quieter than the Wrangler P tires I was replacing.
Good to know. I'll definitely report back tomorrow after the install. At the very least it will be a "reality check" for what happens when changing to these tires with MY truck.

Regarding problems with fuel efficiency after increasing tire size...I agree that physics dictates -- all other things equal --- larger size should increase fuel efficiency. However, the folks that claim their fuel efficiency was degraded significantly believe the issue to be related to the larger tire size resulting in non-optimal shifting of gears in automatic transmissions. That also makes sense to me!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #15

I installed the BFG KO 2's on my Company truck. I went just about the same amount bigger. They are really quiet for the aggressive tread design, super dry, wet, and snow tire. Wore really well. If I remember that also increased the load capacity of the tire. The only fault I found in increasing the tire size, was when I ran over a hunk on metal and couldn't get the tire patched, yep I didn't upsize my spare so I had to get a ride home while it sat in the tire shop waiting for the new tire to arrive.
TnP5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Good to know. I'll definitely report back tomorrow after the install. At the very least it will be a "reality check" for what happens when changing to these tires with MY truck.
You are buying 5 tires right? Your spare needs to be the same size.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #17

Quote:
You are buying 5 tires right? Your spare needs to be the same size.
I'm buying 4 BFG KO2's 265/65R18. This is the same size as the existing tires. For now, I'm keeping the existing spare. It's 2 1/2 yrs old and has never left the undercarriage so for the most part it's not been exposed to the elements.

Will report back on noise after they are installed later this morning. They are being installed at a location about 15 miles away on 60mph highway so that will be a good enough for me to judge noise.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #18

I had a set of Firestone highway tires on my 2002 F-350. Got 70,000 miles on them and wanted the BFG All Terrains so I pulled the Firestones with tread still left. After about 30,000 miles the BFGs were worn out. Next set? Another set of Firestones. BFGs are not great highway tires. Firestones and Michelins are great highway tires. Plus more even wear on highway tires. If it were me I'd go with a set of quality highway tires in the original correct size.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #19

Here's the scoop. I replaced my existing passenger grade Wranglers with BFG KO2's today. I'm not worried at all about the miles I get from them. They will be replaced due to age long before they reach any max mileage rating. I don't put that many miles on this truck annually as it's not my primary mode of transportation.

Having driven it about 15 miles on SC highway (and I consider SC highways to be "average" at best) here are first impressions:

* Slightly noisier than the previous passenger tires. That's expected. It's barely a noticeable difference and definitely does not impede my enjoyment of the Outlaw Country station.
* I had the tires inflated to 75 psi. Yes...I could go with less and have a smoother ride but the primary purpose of this truck is to pull my TT. I don't want to futz with inflating to one pressure when not towing and another when towing.
* The ride at 75 psi is slightly bumpier than the passenger tires. Barely noticeable and not bothersome to me at all.

I'm happy with the purchase. If I go 5 yrs with no failures due to the tires, themselves, I'll still be happy. I initially didn't want an AT tire but I think these will be just fine. Some of the campgrounds we frequent have sketchy dirt roads so the AT tread may even come in handy.

Tags
tire