Old 09-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #21

Got the call at noon today that the new Michelins were in, so I head out to get them installed. I get there, the tech takes the old wheels off, and removes the old tires. Another fellow rolls the new tires over. I walked over to inspect, and the first thing I see is the date code...(0213)....Geeez..the dang tires are almost 3 years old already! I do the "time out" signal and ask for the manager. They didn't seem surprised, and immediately called the wholesaler, who promised to send them 2 "new" tires tomorrow.
If it were any other vehicle, I might be okay, but this is the one vehicle I own that accrues mileage slowly. In 2 more years, I would add 10,000 more miles to the truck, and those tires would be 5 years old. It just wasn't an acceptable situation for me...so they mount and balance the old tires and put them back on the truck....I drove home.

Oh well....

Old 09-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
People forget, Firestone tires on Fords. Roll overs, bad tires and drivers.

It was never the tires it was the trucks. GM was running the same tires on new vehicles with zero problems. I think it was mostly Explorers though.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #23

I still stick with what I said, Drivers. I know people with the same vehicle, never rolled over. I have had blowouts in the past, didn't roll over. Not even a phone company line truck I was driving and both left rear tires passed me, didn't rollover!
Old 09-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I found a pdf document from Ford on tire warranty , not sure from what year, it said that continental tires were prorated to 72 months or 2/32". So I am surprised that there would be no warranty.

So it depends on how old and how much tread is left on the amount of credit.
No matter what happens you should still file complaint with NHTSA and have the remaining tires inspected by Continental dealer to be sure others haven't also gone bad.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #25

I hear ya Tireman, and I have given the entire situation some real thought and I have concluded that even if they offered me $100 off on a new continental tire, I wouldn't do it. I simply do not want those tires.

So the dealer actually knocked another $40 off the original quote (and I didn't even ask for it because I didn't think the outdated tires were the dealers fault.). Maybe the wholesaler made this gesture?

Since this vehicle is used mostly for towing, I want the highest quality tires that give good tread life. In my 45 +/- years of driving experience that's been Michelins.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I hear ya Tireman, and I have given the entire situation some real thought and I have concluded that even if they offered me $100 off on a new continental tire, I wouldn't do it. I simply do not want those tires.

So the dealer actually knocked another $40 off the original quote (and I didn't even ask for it because I didn't think the outdated tires were the dealers fault.). Maybe the wholesaler made this gesture?

Since this vehicle is used mostly for towing, I want the highest quality tires that give good tread life. In my 45 +/- years of driving experience that's been Michelins.
I can understand why you do not want the Continental tires, I would not buy another one for any rig I drive, IMHO their performance is quite poor.

Good luck and drive safe.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #27
Commercial Member

File complaint

Davidg
Understand your feelings. Still feel a complaint about the belt separation to NHTSA is warranted. If the RV community doesn't complain there will never be any action taken to improve the quality of the tires that end up on our units.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Davidg
Understand your feelings. Still feel a complaint about the belt separation to NHTSA is warranted. If the RV community doesn't complain there will never be any action taken to improve the quality of the tires that end up on our units.
Are you saying you suspect poor quality is causing RV trailer tires separations? Wouldn't that also mean you don't trust the testing?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Are you saying you suspect poor quality is causing RV trailer tires separations? Wouldn't that also mean you don't trust the testing?
What "testing" are you referring to?

I have a post on my Blog from February 26, 2012on "Why do tires fail"
That may provide the answer to your question.

But your question did spur me to start a new post on why it seems so many RV tires are failing so you can look forward to an update in a few days.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 09-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
What "testing" are you referring to?

I have a post on my Blog from February 26, 2012on "Why do tires fail"
That may provide the answer to your question.

But your question did spur me to start a new post on why it seems so many RV tires are failing so you can look forward to an update in a few days.
Initial testing before the tire is put into full production and then the follow-up DOT certification tests required by the FMVSS.

Tags
replacement, tire