Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #21

Got the call at noon today that the new Michelins were in, so I head out to get them installed. I get there, the tech takes the old wheels off, and removes the old tires. Another fellow rolls the new tires over. I walked over to inspect, and the first thing I see is the date code...(0213)....Geeez..the dang tires are almost 3 years old already! I do the "time out" signal and ask for the manager. They didn't seem surprised, and immediately called the wholesaler, who promised to send them 2 "new" tires tomorrow.
If it were any other vehicle, I might be okay, but this is the one vehicle I own that accrues mileage slowly. In 2 more years, I would add 10,000 more miles to the truck, and those tires would be 5 years old. It just wasn't an acceptable situation for me...so they mount and balance the old tires and put them back on the truck....I drove home.

Oh well....
Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
People forget, Firestone tires on Fords. Roll overs, bad tires and drivers.

It was never the tires it was the trucks. GM was running the same tires on new vehicles with zero problems. I think it was mostly Explorers though.
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #23

I still stick with what I said, Drivers. I know people with the same vehicle, never rolled over. I have had blowouts in the past, didn't roll over. Not even a phone company line truck I was driving and both left rear tires passed me, didn't rollover!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I found a pdf document from Ford on tire warranty , not sure from what year, it said that continental tires were prorated to 72 months or 2/32". So I am surprised that there would be no warranty.

So it depends on how old and how much tread is left on the amount of credit.
No matter what happens you should still file complaint with NHTSA and have the remaining tires inspected by Continental dealer to be sure others haven't also gone bad.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #25

I hear ya Tireman, and I have given the entire situation some real thought and I have concluded that even if they offered me $100 off on a new continental tire, I wouldn't do it. I simply do not want those tires.

So the dealer actually knocked another $40 off the original quote (and I didn't even ask for it because I didn't think the outdated tires were the dealers fault.). Maybe the wholesaler made this gesture?

Since this vehicle is used mostly for towing, I want the highest quality tires that give good tread life. In my 45 +/- years of driving experience that's been Michelins.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I hear ya Tireman, and I have given the entire situation some real thought and I have concluded that even if they offered me $100 off on a new continental tire, I wouldn't do it. I simply do not want those tires.

So the dealer actually knocked another $40 off the original quote (and I didn't even ask for it because I didn't think the outdated tires were the dealers fault.). Maybe the wholesaler made this gesture?

Since this vehicle is used mostly for towing, I want the highest quality tires that give good tread life. In my 45 +/- years of driving experience that's been Michelins.
I can understand why you do not want the Continental tires, I would not buy another one for any rig I drive, IMHO their performance is quite poor.

Good luck and drive safe.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #27
Commercial Member

File complaint

Davidg
Understand your feelings. Still feel a complaint about the belt separation to NHTSA is warranted. If the RV community doesn't complain there will never be any action taken to improve the quality of the tires that end up on our units.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 09-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Davidg
Understand your feelings. Still feel a complaint about the belt separation to NHTSA is warranted. If the RV community doesn't complain there will never be any action taken to improve the quality of the tires that end up on our units.
Are you saying you suspect poor quality is causing RV trailer tires separations? Wouldn't that also mean you don't trust the testing?
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Are you saying you suspect poor quality is causing RV trailer tires separations? Wouldn't that also mean you don't trust the testing?
What "testing" are you referring to?

I have a post on my Blog from February 26, 2012on "Why do tires fail"
That may provide the answer to your question.

But your question did spur me to start a new post on why it seems so many RV tires are failing so you can look forward to an update in a few days.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #30

Quote:
What "testing" are you referring to?

I have a post on my Blog from February 26, 2012on "Why do tires fail"
That may provide the answer to your question.

But your question did spur me to start a new post on why it seems so many RV tires are failing so you can look forward to an update in a few days.
Initial testing before the tire is put into full production and then the follow-up DOT certification tests required by the FMVSS.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Initial testing before the tire is put into full production and then the follow-up DOT certification tests required by the FMVSS.

Ahh, thought that was what you were thinking.

DOT does not run certification tests.

It is the tire manufacturer's responsibility to "certify" that all tires made would be capable of passing the minimum test requirements as published by FMVSS. Now as to pre-production testing, that should be based on statistical analysis of the variation of test results observed by the tire company on it's own products.

The DOT requirements do not allow for variation. They say 100% of tires must be able to pass the tests. Tire companies know that test results do in reality vary.
If you have a volume of data that tells you that your product varies by x amount then a competent company should allow for that variation such that statistically speaking say 99.95% would pass. However I would not be surprised to learn that some companies cut corners and are satisfied with a prediction that say 60% or 80% will pass as they are betting that no one will check.
They also know that if they have no warranty and the RV community will not file enough complaints to get the attention of DOT, there will never be a compliance test run by DOT so the company can "get away with" making less than 1st class quality products.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

China testing tires Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Ahh, thought that was what you were thinking.

DOT does not run certification tests.

It is the tire manufacturer's responsibility to "certify" that all tires made would be capable of passing the minimum test requirements as published by FMVSS. Now as to pre-production testing, that should be based on statistical analysis of the variation of test results observed by the tire company on it's own products.

The DOT requirements do not allow for variation. They say 100% of tires must be able to pass the tests. Tire companies know that test results do in reality vary.
If you have a volume of data that tells you that your product varies by x amount then a competent company should allow for that variation such that statistically speaking say 99.95% would pass. However I would not be surprised to learn that some companies cut corners and are satisfied with a prediction that say 60% or 80% will pass as they are betting that no one will check.
They also know that if they have no warranty and the RV community will not file enough complaints to get the attention of DOT, there will never be a compliance test run by DOT so the company can "get away with" making less than 1st class quality products.
I know why and when tire testing is done. As an engineer you should have faith in them or tried to change the process years ago.

All of the major tire manufacturers, foreign and domestic, have some form ISO quality program in progress all the time.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
I know why and when tire testing is done. As an engineer you should have faith in them or tried to change the process years ago.

All of the major tire manufacturers, foreign and domestic, have some form ISO quality program in progress all the time.

I think you might be a bit optimistic.
Having been involved in ISO quality audits I can assure you that there are many companies that do not bother with ISO type quality standards.
Now you did say "major" so I guess that depends on what you meant by "major".
The other reality is that even with a "Major' manufacturer there may be some plants that are not ISO certified as none of that plant's products get shipped to vehicle manufacturer that requires ISO.

A quick test would be to ask your FR dealer if FR is ISO certified or if FR requires ISO quality from their vendors. I bet you will see a blank stare and hear crickets chirping.
If you are told "yes" then you might ask why they don't display ISO certification certificate.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #35

Does towing wear the rear tires out on your TV faster? I have 20,000 miles on my Ram 2500 and the rear tires have twice the amount of wear as the front tires. They are getting close to the tread-wear indicators. The factory tires are Firestone.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Does towing wear the rear tires out on your TV faster? I have 20,000 miles on my Ram 2500 and the rear tires have twice the amount of wear as the front tires. They are getting close to the tread-wear indicators. The factory tires are Firestone.
Without having some specific information IMO a major contributor to both fuel economy and tire wear is based on driving style.

Too often people drive big vehicles or when towing and seem to expect similar response in the big vehicle as they are use to in their car.

My basis for this opinion comes from mpg when I was towing my 26' enclosed trailer with a Camaro and race support tools & equipment and the mpg from driving my last two Class-C motorhomes. In all three cases I could see a 10% difference in fuel economy based both on fill-up gallons as well as electronic engine monitor readings between different members of my race crew who were driving or between myself and the DW in the case of the motorhomes.

it doesn't take too much difference in the level and rate of acceleration to give this difference. Tire wear is also affected by acceleration rates. You don't have to be spinning tires to see harder acceleration that translates to faster tire wear. It is also true that when driving a large pick-up with no load makes it very easy to spin a tire and each "chirp" can translate into the equivalent of hundreds of miles wear.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #37

Looks like Michelin tires get the [emoji106] but to obtain a quite ride which do you go with M/S or A/T?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #38
Commercial Member

A/T are usually a more aggressive tread pattern which translates to more noise.

Tags
replacement, tire