Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #171

Found this thread, have ?'s, we have put 10,000 miles on our trailer in 3 years and realize we are past due for bearing job. After watching videos we think we can do this our self, does outside temp matter when doing bearings? Our we crazy to try ourselves? After reading this thread I don't want to go any where til we get this done. We have 2010 2304s with ultra lube axels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #172
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Your crazy! No not really.. (If you've never replaced the hubs inner seal or hand packed bearings then I might consider taking the hub and outer bearing to the local auto shop to have them clean inspect and repack your bearings) however if you know what your doing I would replace both inner and outer bearings with new hubs seals (ensure you wipe the inner hub area clean). I would remove the hub via outer bearing, leaving the tire bolted to the hub (this eliminates the torqueing of lug nuts). With three years and 10k miles on existing, I wouldn't trust the grease zerts method.

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #173

Its not Rocket science, watch some utube videos. But if your kind of weak like me I would remove the tire because you could damage the seal if you fumble around sliding the hub on.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #174

Yea I think we will take wheels off, main concern is the cold weather? Thought I had read not to do it when too cold? What is too cold? It would probably be about 40 or 50 degrees when we attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #175

I didn't know cold weather had any effect, But I would think you would be ok over 30. I always do mine in the early spring, I'm in Alabama so it can be anywhere between 55-80
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #176

The (Sharp Corner) where the Inner bearing shoulder and the Seal contact area meet is a area of concern! This sharp corner can (Cut your finger and Damage the (Double Lip Seal)! Youroo!! Also tighten the (Zerks) one or ALL) will be Loose!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #177

Being from Canada I have never had this type of axle before, with this type of greasing technique. The trailer we picked up has less than 200 miles on it but I checked everything over anyways, and as stated on Page 1, Post 1 of this thread, there indeed was no extra grease in the hub!
I use a pneumatic grease gun so it makes it easier than the squeeze type, but it did take some time to get the grease to finally show its face at the front of the hub. When it did, there was absolutely no dirty grease it pushed out, in fact, it didn't look like there was any other grease come out at all other than the grease I put in! Great system for doing the bearings, good post, thanks very much...Sherm
Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #178

I have had pneumatic grease guns for 30 yrs,but would not and have not ever used them on bearing buddies,ez lube axles,and so forth.With a pnumatic gun you have no "feel" for the resistance (pressure) as it builds in the fitting.You can and will sooner or later blow the rear seals out and never know it untill you are someplace where you cant do anythig about it.just my experiences.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #179

I know what you mean about the pneumatic stuff. I had the pressure turned right down on it when I was doing it. When you consider the average hand grease gun has a pressure of 5000 psi there might be more control with the pneumatic than the hand job but your right, there is "no feel" when pumping it....Sherm
Old 04-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #180
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I have had pneumatic grease guns for 30 yrs,but would not and have not ever used them on bearing buddies,ez lube axles,and so forth.With a pnumatic gun you have no "feel" for the resistance (pressure) as it builds in the fitting.You can and will sooner or later blow the rear seals out and never know it untill you are someplace where you cant do anythig about it.just my experiences.
x10........what I really like is the difference in 2 factory manuals talking about the same thing.... which one's correct?... Aren't there any 'proof ' readings done on service manuals? Must be the Monday/Friday thing.

Tags
axle, bearings