Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Ultra-Lube,Perma-Lube, Other??

I purchased a 2008 rockwood 5th with 3500# AL-KO axles. The previous owner never did maintenace to the bearings. The manual talks about the Ultra and Perma not needing packing but also refers to packing every 6 months. My axles do not have grease zerks (but they do have a hole in the end) so I assume they are not Ultra. How do you tell the difference between Perma and those needing to be packed?
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

A rep at AL KO emailed back that they never sold Perma Lube axles to Rockwood. Just Ultra and standard axles.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
H2oski

If your alko axle has a hole in it and not just a dimple for milling, you probably have an Ulta lube spindle. All you would have to do is install a grease fitting. I had a axle problem several years ago and had to order a new Ultra lube axle from AL-KO and when I got it it didn't have grease fittings installed in either side. Installed some and I was good to go.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

If the bearings have never been serviced, they should be removed and inspected BEFORE you do the Zerk fittings. Who ever does your bearing inspection/repack and new axle seals can verify you have Ultra-lube axle spindles at the same time. Once they are packed and the Zerks installed, you can use the flow through lube change without worry.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

The hole,about the correct size for a grease zerk but no threads,ends at about 3/8 " in with metal that appears a different color than the axle. I will be re-packing soon and I assume Ultra Lube axles must have a hole in the shaft toward the back where the grease comes in. It is odd that they don't make them all Ultra. It can't cost much to drill a hole through the axle. From reading this forum and others I plan on using Lucas red and tacky to repack the bearings.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

A bit more complicated than drilling a hole, but here is more info on the system.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AlKo Parts Catalog.pdf (294.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: pdf Bearing_Lube_Axle_Maintenance.pdf (480.1 KB, 113 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote