Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Unhappy Uneven tire wear

I purchased a Cherokee Grey Wolf 25rr TH in Aug 2012. I put around 1000 miles on tires before storing for winter. April 2013 I removed from storage and cleaned trailer. Noticed that curb side front tire and road side rear tire had uneven wear form middle of tire to outside. This is a tandem axel trailer. Called my dealer they said need to do a laser alignment. Laser alignment came back with "This procedure indicates both rear hubs have severe caster issues. All 4 hubs show camber issues the worst of the 4 is the csf (curb side front) and rsr (road side rear). Recommend replacing both axles".

My dealer wanted to send both axels to FR and sell me 2 new axels. I said no and contacted Lippert the manufacture of the axles. I sent them pictures and both the hanger measurement and the alignment sheet my dealer filled out. Long story short Lippert is telling me "At this time, I do not believe the issue is held within the axles. I believe that you may see a difference if you change your tires to a radial style tire rather than the standard bias ply. I believe that maybe the issue lies within the tire itself. at this time I do not think this would be considered an issue that LCI would cover". I responded asking if the issues were with the tires why would my dealer tell me I have severe caster and camber issues. Waiting on response.

Sorry for the long post but I am getting frustrated and do not know what to do if they come back and say this is not a axle issue. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you:
Edmon

Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

Don't you just love a company that stands behind their product, so far behind that they aren't even visible!
You have an alignment sheet that proves the axles are defective, and they tell you to spend money on new tires?
Tell them that if you don't get your axles replaced, you will take them to court. This is getting ridiculous already.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #3

And tell them that their actions are being shared on an RV site with thousands of readers.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

Here are the measurements my dealer sent me. I have no idea what they mean.

Hanger measurment.pdf

LASER ALIGNMENT TEST.pdf

Thanks again.
Edmon
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Denver, CO

Not sure the dealer report makes any sense in the TT world.

The camber is the tilt of the wheel (top to bottom) and causes uneven wear between the inside and outside of the tire. Caster refers to the vertical axle tilt front to back and hss little to do with trailers as it is more about steering characteristics.

From your symptoms, I think you probably do have a camber problem, at least, and possibly a severe front to back axle alignment problem ( the axles not perpendicular to the frame). The camber is an axle problem, while alignment is a frame problem. Both are Lippert issue's I would think; and they are dodging the issue BIG time. No way it can be a tire problem, they are just rolling down the road.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

I am having a similar issue with my 2013 Wildwood 26TBSS.

I noticed last week when checking the pressure before heading out on a 1800 mile trip withy family, that one tire was wearing a lot more than the others. We get to Mt Rushmore and it is totally bald!

I put on my spare an it didn't wear much at all on the way back, but the other on that same side is worn now. We've got less than 4,000 miles on the 16 month old trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4174397546.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	35932   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-161482730.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	35933   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2062820493.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	35934  
Http://campingkansans.blogspot.com
Jhawkfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfan44 View Post
I am having a similar issue with my 2013 Wildwood 26TBSS.

I noticed last week when checking the pressure before heading out on a 1800 mile trip withy family, that one tire was wearing a lot more than the others. We get to Mt Rushmore and it is totally bald!

I put on my spare an it didn't wear much at all on the way back, but the other on that same side is worn now. We've got less than 4,000 miles on the 16 month old trailer.
If only that one tires is wearing that way you may have a bent spindle. Or that one tire is wearing like crap. I had one tire that was wearing bad and I thought I had a problems turns just junk tires. I replaced them before this camping season and no wear issues what so ever.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

Thats looks like the tire we pulled of my trailer. The last picture. I think they put the cheapest tires they can buy. I put two new Kumho 857 on mine. Did want a blow out.

Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote