Old 10-17-2016, 12:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Dangit... I am just gonna stop reading about tires. Now the Maxxis tires are crap too? I can't use LT tires without changing rims... I don't want to spend that much...plus it would change other stuff.

I guess best you can and ADD TPMS.

They're not bad (in fact, good) in my opinion. Maxxis are good up to somewhere in the ballpark of 14,000-15,000 lbs. after that and you run the chance of overloading one or more wheels.

I finally put together a blog post of my *opinions* - it's similar to posts I've written here before:
http://learntorv.com/what-are-the-be...-your-trailer/

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
They're not bad (in fact, good) in my opinion. Maxxis are good up to somewhere in the ballpark of 14,000-15,000 lbs. after that and you run the chance of overloading one or more wheels.

I finally put together a blog post of my *opinions* - it's similar to posts I've written here before:
What are the best tires for your trailer? | Learn To RV
Your blog overlooks a number of tire sizes suitable for 6000# and 7000# GAWR axles.

I don't do brands, just sizes unless only a single brand makes them.

For the 6000# axles there is the ST235/85R16E, rated at 3640# at 80 PSI and the popular all wheel position 205/75R17.5F, rated at 3525# at 109 PSI and is only 30" tall.

Moving on up to the 7000# and 8000# GAWER axles you get into a log jam of steel cased tires that all require the high load and PSI capacity rims at 16x6.5" which almost certainly require new rims. All of those tires range from load capacities of 3750# to 4080# and all at or very close to 110 PSI.

All of the new ST tires from China will have been redesigned to operate at a higher speed restriction and each individual tire must have a speed letter on it's sidewall or a statement to display it's speed restriction. The popular letters are somewhere from 68 MPH to 87 MPH.

Speed letters are not an invitation to speed on our highways. But they do provide us with some satisfying news, the tire's speed letter also tells us that the tire can travel at that speed fully loaded. It's a nice form of durability we did not have with the 65 MPH tires.

I've skirted the 14" & 15" tires. There are - in most cases - a lot of ST replacement tires that can go up a load range and provide longer, satisfactory life expectancy for that trailer tire group.

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #43

ST tires are not crappie, a lot of people can not put on LT'S because of the weight load and having to have the room to go to a bigger rim for the same weight loads as ST. I have Maxxis 8008 D rated and I find it is a good tire out there. Plus to get the same load in a LT I do not have the space or room, been pulling trailers along time, never really had a problem except belt separation on 3 year old Marathons. I'll stick with my ST'S. Takecare of your tires they will take care of you. My plate or sticker says ST there is not a dealer in Virginia that will put on LT'S and accept the liability. Now if I bought LT'S through the internet and if I took one tire at a time to them they would do it, then I have the liability, No thank-you. I'm just sick about this argument between ST and LT. I could care less what you put on your trailer, But don't insult me by saying LT is the only way to go. That's just pure BS. I guess you drank the cool-aid also...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
ST tires are not crappie, a lot of people can not put on LT'S because of the weight load and having to have the room to go to a bigger rim for the same weight loads as ST. I have Maxxis 8008 D rated and I find it is a good tire out there. Plus to get the same load in a LT I do not have the space or room, been pulling trailers along time, never really had a problem except belt separation on 3 year old Marathons. I'll stick with my ST'S. Takecare of your tires they will take care of you. My plate or sticker says ST there is not a dealer in Virginia that will put on LT'S and accept the liability. Now if I bought LT'S through the internet and if I took one tire at a time to them they would do it, then I have the liability, No thank-you. I'm just sick about this argument between ST and LT. I could care less what you put on your trailer, But don't insult me by saying LT is the only way to go. That's just pure BS. I guess you drank the cool-aid also...
Plus you can't find 15" LT LRD tires, only P rated which aren't even good for a tow vehicle.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post

X 200. I'd hate to think there was that much cool aid in any CG. 🇺🇸 🍻
Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #46
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Sailun makes an ST (235/80/R16) rated at 75mph when inflated to its max 110psi. Requires wheels that have metal valve stems and can handle the 110psi.

My Wildcat came with Maxxis 8008 (235/80/R16) but its unclear that the wheels which do have metal valve stems can handle 110psi. I made 2 calls to the wheel vendor to talk to their customer service and an engineer. The Cust Serv rep read from the product sheet for my wheels and said they were limited to 80mph. The second call, the engineer said that my wheels were rated 110psi if I had metal stems.

I've got 13,000 miles on the Maxxis 8008 and I think that's what I will stay with.
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #47

Another trailer tire news report worth reading.

ST tires: All-steel radial construction is meeting the demand for more carrying capacity - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #48
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
That's a very good article.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That's a very good article.
THANKS X's 2
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

Thank you. I had tried to find that article again. My tire dealer showed it to me when my tires were being installed. I was considering / planning on Maxxis until a tire expert in Akron Oh suggested Carlisle instead. A little research and I went with Carlisle 235/85/R16 load range F -- also in load range E and G.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires