Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We had one of the New 15" Maxxis 8008 load range E 80 PSI tires fail while in California,tire dealer said Week for replacement! He said He uses Carlisle Tires,I looked at them and they are 15" load range E ST Tires,and The HUGE BIG Print on the Sidewall says "80 PSI and 81 MPH"! We are now in Kansas and no Ill effects! Will evaluate when returning home! Youroo!!
My 5er came with Trailer King 235/80/R16 LR E tires. After 5500 problem free miles I was ready for a set of Maxxis. Research lead me to the Carlisle TH and bought 5. Only 1200 miles so far but very pleased. Tire dealer had Carlisle available in 24 hours and 72 for Maxxis ~~ the wait was irrelevant.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
My feeling is if you keep your tires (regardless where made) at the proper inflation and don't exceed the speed or weight rating, where they are made really doesn't make that big of difference. JMHO
Absolutely! !😊
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #23
DDC

Do you really think they will be better, tires made by the same companies in a different location is really going to fix everything.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #24
Bene Gesserit Rule

What Do You Do When The Wheels Fall Off?

Had a bad experience with underrated tyres.

Checkout my post "What Do You Do When The Wheels Fall Off?" in the On The Road thread.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Carlisle ST tires! Youroo!!
The Carlisle I got from Discount tires say something like that, I know it's 80 PSI but I forgot the speed rating....
Old 10-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #26

[QUOTE=Ford Idaho;1341480]The Carlisle I got from Discount tires say something like that, I know it's 80 PSI but I forgot the speed rating....[/QUOT

PSI on my Carlisle tires is 85.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #27
Senior Senior Member

I wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
There is crap-loads of evidence that says the opposite... with regard to ST tires.

You must not read much. Every other day a thread pops up where another ST failed and caused damage to the trailer.

Many of us have swapped to LT tires and never looked back.

ST tires are crap. Period. Until they start to be manufactured to the same standards as P and LT tires that is.
why the RV manufacturers don't use LT tires. And why hasn't everyone changed over to them? Seems like a no brainer automatic. What gives?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #28

Quote:
My feeling is if you keep your tires (regardless where made) at the proper inflation and don't exceed the speed or weight rating, where they are made really doesn't make that big of difference. JMHO
You're wrong. I purchased a Cardinal that had, as it turned out, Chinese tires. Somehow there was a problem with ensuring the belts were properly laminated and three of them, no THREE of them blew out on one trip. $2500 damage.

First the Chinese manufactured children's toys with lead paint. Then they built exploding tires. Then they poisoned our pets by putting filler chemical in the pet food. Then they made poisonous drywall. You get my point.....
Old 10-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
There is crap-loads of evidence that says the opposite... with regard to ST tires.

You must not read much. Every other day a thread pops up where another ST failed and caused damage to the trailer.

Many of us have swapped to LT tires and never looked back.

ST tires are crap. Period. Until they start to be manufactured to the same standards as P and LT tires that is.
For every ST tire that has failed prematurely millions have held up for their service life just fine. If ST tires were that bad the highways would be littered with TTs on the side of the road with blowouts and I'm out there daily and just don't see it. If changing to LT tires gives you peace of mind then more power to you, but it doesn't make those who think differently uninformed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
why the RV manufacturers don't use LT tires. And why hasn't everyone changed over to them? Seems like a no brainer automatic. What gives?
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #30
Bene Gesserit Rule

ST or LT

You must remember that it always depends on the load, the pressure (both starting & what it gets to after running for a while) and the speed. The ratings are one thing but what you are doing to them on the road has significance.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #31

Lets not forget there are probably 10,000 or more ST tires on RVs for every 1 LT. But I don't want to let facts get into anyone's decision making process. If hate to jinx myself but I've been running ST tires since 1976 without even a flat.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #32

Drive Slow?

CaptnJohn, I'm guessing you drive at or below the speed rating. I always drove the speed limit on the interstates in AZ and NM and always had blowouts or tread separations. When I finally discovered that ST tires were rated for 65 mph, I realized why. I looked for LT tires in 14" tires for my ROO without success. When I saw Load Range D (stock was C) 14" tires rated for 81 mph at eTrailer, I bought enough for two of my trailers. That was last year, and I've gone a complete year without a blowout. I put Passenger car tires on my light bass boat, 3 years ago, and they have held up fine too. I believe it is all about speed and load and temperature rating. When we lived in Tucson, we bought a new Buick which came with a Chevy engine and low temperature rated tires. Go figure. I still carry 2 spares, because I've had two flats the same day several times. P rated tires on trucks on gravel roads don't work well either.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #33

Mnoland30--- I have always driven the limit and often plus 6-7.. Boat trailer tires were only driven a maximum of 75 miles. I chartered many of them so they were of good size and weight. Trailer tires always replaced in 5 years except for the last ones. The reason the last ones went after only 5500 miles was the SUV was in for an oil change. Told the shop owner I was considering changing to another brand next time. He priced out the 2 brands. After more research I asked if the deal on Carlisle was still good. Bought 5 at $97 minus $20 each for the Trailer Kings. I generally pull between 10,000 and 16,000 miles annually and change every 4 years if the unit is kept that long. At least 95% of those miles are interstate. In the old days only checked pressure in the spring, now before every trip. Just lucky I guess and hope it holds.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #34
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
You're wrong. I purchased a Cardinal that had, as it turned out, Chinese tires. Somehow there was a problem with ensuring the belts were properly laminated and three of them, no THREE of them blew out on one trip. $2500 damage.

First the Chinese manufactured children's toys with lead paint. Then they built exploding tires. Then they poisoned our pets by putting filler chemical in the pet food. Then they made poisonous drywall. You get my point.....
All of this was not done by China as you are insinuating, it was and is done by the same companies that use to be here but wanted to reduce their costs and increase their profits and for the most parts they have done very well, they then discovered that they would not be subjected to any controls YET so like all business they exploited a situation to make more money, stop blaming a country for the greed of home grown companies.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
All of this was not done by China as you are insinuating, it was and is done by the same companies that use to be here but wanted to reduce their costs and increase their profits and for the most parts they have done very well, they then discovered that they would not be subjected to any controls YET so like all business they exploited a situation to make more money, stop blaming a country for the greed of home grown companies.
You forget the greed of the US consumer. Most will spend a nickel less than buy Us made. Walmart started that ball rolling until there is nothing left to buy made here. Consumers forced companies there in order to survive.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

IMO, broken belts are caused by hitting something and tread separation is faulty construction regardless of brand.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Actually it's not a no brainer a few things need to be considered before switching or not. ST tires have stiffer side walls to limit the rocking back and forth while towing, LT have softer side walls to improve ride. ST are designed to be run at max pressure to run cool and wear correctly. LT are only designed to be at max pressure when at max load or you wear out the center of the tire. Just some of the reasons. Each person has to decide what is important to them
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Actually it's not a no brainer a few things need to be considered before switching or not. ST tires have stiffer side walls to limit the rocking back and forth while towing, LT have softer side walls to improve ride. ST are designed to be run at max pressure to run cool and wear correctly. LT are only designed to be at max pressure when at max load or you wear out the center of the tire. Just some of the reasons. Each person has to decide what is important to them
ST tire have stiffer side walls to also withstand the short and tighter turns. You can see this when navigating fuel islands and backing into camping spots. Axles and wheels have to withstand this also.

All this bashing of Chinese tires makes me wonder why we generally accept the "American Made" RV's with all their quality issues and then try to spit on the "China bombs". Blow outs usually happen because of road damage, or lack of routine inspections and care. There's blemishes and potential problems with any brand and source of manufacture. We're taking a chance every time we hit the road with our truck and trailer. We all have to make sure everything is up to date, inspected and ready for whatever comes up. Just my 2 cents worth while "knocking on wood".
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #39

You and other ST tire lovers will change your tune when you have a blowout. If you do, I hope you are as lucky as I have been and not cause much damage.

Wish me luck, I'm headed out on a 1800 mile road trip with my LT tires and freshly packed bearings-bearing presses are awesome!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You and other ST tire lovers will change your tune when you have a blowout. If you do, I hope you are as lucky as I have been and not cause much damage.

Wish me luck, I'm headed out on a 1800 mile road trip with my LT tires and freshly packed bearings-bearing presses are awesome!

The trip before last was 5760 miles on Trailer Kings. The last was 1100 miles on Carlisle. I hope your LTs treat you as well as my STs have for 42 years.

Tags
tire, tires