Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 11:38 PM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Dangit... I am just gonna stop reading about tires. Now the Maxxis tires are crap too? I can't use LT tires without changing rims... I don't want to spend that much...plus it would change other stuff.

I guess best you can and ADD TPMS.

They're not bad (in fact, good) in my opinion. Maxxis are good up to somewhere in the ballpark of 14,000-15,000 lbs. after that and you run the chance of overloading one or more wheels.

I finally put together a blog post of my *opinions* - it's similar to posts I've written here before:
http://learntorv.com/what-are-the-be...-your-trailer/
Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
They're not bad (in fact, good) in my opinion. Maxxis are good up to somewhere in the ballpark of 14,000-15,000 lbs. after that and you run the chance of overloading one or more wheels.

I finally put together a blog post of my *opinions* - it's similar to posts I've written here before:
What are the best tires for your trailer? | Learn To RV
Your blog overlooks a number of tire sizes suitable for 6000# and 7000# GAWR axles.

I don't do brands, just sizes unless only a single brand makes them.

For the 6000# axles there is the ST235/85R16E, rated at 3640# at 80 PSI and the popular all wheel position 205/75R17.5F, rated at 3525# at 109 PSI and is only 30" tall.

Moving on up to the 7000# and 8000# GAWER axles you get into a log jam of steel cased tires that all require the high load and PSI capacity rims at 16x6.5" which almost certainly require new rims. All of those tires range from load capacities of 3750# to 4080# and all at or very close to 110 PSI.

All of the new ST tires from China will have been redesigned to operate at a higher speed restriction and each individual tire must have a speed letter on it's sidewall or a statement to display it's speed restriction. The popular letters are somewhere from 68 MPH to 87 MPH.

Speed letters are not an invitation to speed on our highways. But they do provide us with some satisfying news, the tire's speed letter also tells us that the tire can travel at that speed fully loaded. It's a nice form of durability we did not have with the 65 MPH tires.

I've skirted the 14" & 15" tires. There are - in most cases - a lot of ST replacement tires that can go up a load range and provide longer, satisfactory life expectancy for that trailer tire group.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:14 AM   #43

ST tires are not crappie, a lot of people can not put on LT'S because of the weight load and having to have the room to go to a bigger rim for the same weight loads as ST. I have Maxxis 8008 D rated and I find it is a good tire out there. Plus to get the same load in a LT I do not have the space or room, been pulling trailers along time, never really had a problem except belt separation on 3 year old Marathons. I'll stick with my ST'S. Takecare of your tires they will take care of you. My plate or sticker says ST there is not a dealer in Virginia that will put on LT'S and accept the liability. Now if I bought LT'S through the internet and if I took one tire at a time to them they would do it, then I have the liability, No thank-you. I'm just sick about this argument between ST and LT. I could care less what you put on your trailer, But don't insult me by saying LT is the only way to go. That's just pure BS. I guess you drank the cool-aid also...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
ST tires are not crappie, a lot of people can not put on LT'S because of the weight load and having to have the room to go to a bigger rim for the same weight loads as ST. I have Maxxis 8008 D rated and I find it is a good tire out there. Plus to get the same load in a LT I do not have the space or room, been pulling trailers along time, never really had a problem except belt separation on 3 year old Marathons. I'll stick with my ST'S. Takecare of your tires they will take care of you. My plate or sticker says ST there is not a dealer in Virginia that will put on LT'S and accept the liability. Now if I bought LT'S through the internet and if I took one tire at a time to them they would do it, then I have the liability, No thank-you. I'm just sick about this argument between ST and LT. I could care less what you put on your trailer, But don't insult me by saying LT is the only way to go. That's just pure BS. I guess you drank the cool-aid also...
Plus you can't find 15" LT LRD tires, only P rated which aren't even good for a tow vehicle.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #45

Quote:

X 200. I'd hate to think there was that much cool aid in any CG. 🇺🇸 🍻
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #46
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Sailun makes an ST (235/80/R16) rated at 75mph when inflated to its max 110psi. Requires wheels that have metal valve stems and can handle the 110psi.

My Wildcat came with Maxxis 8008 (235/80/R16) but its unclear that the wheels which do have metal valve stems can handle 110psi. I made 2 calls to the wheel vendor to talk to their customer service and an engineer. The Cust Serv rep read from the product sheet for my wheels and said they were limited to 80mph. The second call, the engineer said that my wheels were rated 110psi if I had metal stems.

I've got 13,000 miles on the Maxxis 8008 and I think that's what I will stay with.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #47

Another trailer tire news report worth reading.

ST tires: All-steel radial construction is meeting the demand for more carrying capacity - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer
Old 10-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
That's a very good article.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That's a very good article.
THANKS X's 2

Old 10-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

Thank you. I had tried to find that article again. My tire dealer showed it to me when my tires were being installed. I was considering / planning on Maxxis until a tire expert in Akron Oh suggested Carlisle instead. A little research and I went with Carlisle 235/85/R16 load range F -- also in load range E and G.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I dunno Seadog. I had a new set of greenball tires (two sizes larger than oem) once that lasted less than 4000 miles over two years. The first failure was on a 45 degree night at 55 mph in rain. When it blew out, it sounded like a rifleshot. Two more tires of that set blew out over the following year. This was on an 8500 lb fiver. I think there are very few quality ST tires. I am running Maxxis tires now. They seem to be okay so far.
Agreed. Both of my 5ers came with trail express tires. I ran them exactly the same as the Gy marathons I replaced them with.
3 explosive blowouts on one 5er, all at 2000 - 5000 miles. The fourth showed signs of internal separation when dis mounted.
One other flat on the other 5er at @2000 miles.
Pulled many thousand miles on the replacement Gy marathons driving the same, @62mph, to the same places, and same attention to psi. Not one problem.
My jayco TT came with Maxxis. Towed 12-15,000 miles with no problem and little signs of wear.
It's a mystery.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Agreed. Both of my 5ers came with trail express tires. I ran them exactly the same as the Gy marathons I replaced them with.
3 explosive blowouts on one 5er, all at 2000 - 5000 miles. The fourth showed signs of internal separation when dis mounted.
One other flat on the other 5er at @2000 miles.
Pulled many thousand miles on the replacement Gy marathons driving the same, @62mph, to the same places, and same attention to psi. Not one problem.
My jayco TT came with Maxxis. Towed 12-15,000 miles with no problem and little signs of wear.
It's a mystery.
I had the exact same problem as you, before I knew about the forum, I bought my 5er, came with Trail Express, I never heard of them, asked the STEALER he said they were good tires, not knowing better I took off for California, was gone for 3mos. Never had a problem, I did weight the trailer and found I only had like a 200 lb cushion. Next trip to Florida a side wall blew on one tire a pure tear in it about 6" long in the side wall. Went and got 4 new tires in Lumberton NC. where it happened. I was always a Marathon Man. Put 4 new ones on and moved up to "D" rated. had those about 4000 miles. Then oneday I stopped for a break and get something to eat. Like always I check my tires, the rear tire didn't look right looked close at it and seen it was rubbing on the adjustment head of the screw for the slide, the screw head was shining bright seen the tire was rubbing on it. Found the tire belts broke and it ballooned on me. Replaced that tire. went on my way. Couple of trips later I was on the way to Mayberry Rally. Pulled off at the overlook to see the view, There I saw a chunk of the tread missing and the belt showing. I found a dealer in Mayberry and bought four new maxxis before going home, being that seems to be the most recommended tire on the forum. Been happy with them so far but time will tell. I never had a problem with Marathons before, so who knows this debate will go on forever, but I do know I will stick with ST and not go to LT'S. But that is just me... PS: I now have like a 700 lb cushion. To be honest I'm tired of buying tires at about $700.00 to $800.00 dollars a pop.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #53

My tire Dealer is replacing the Maxxis 8008 LR E tire that "Wore Very Oddly" the other 3 Maxxis look New still after 8000+ Miles! The Carlisle LR E HD that I replaced it with in California still looks New also after 4000+ miles! I didn't want to Wait a Week for a "Fresh Maxxis" to be shipped,the Carlisle was 1 month old! I didn't wait for the Maxxis to "FAIL" I replaced it! Youroo!!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
My tire Dealer is replacing the Maxxis 8008 LR E tire that "Wore Very Oddly" the other 3 Maxxis look New still after 8000+ Miles! The Carlisle LR E HD that I replaced it with in California still looks New also after 4000+ miles! I didn't want to Wait a Week for a "Fresh Maxxis" to be shipped,the Carlisle was 1 month old! I didn't wait for the Maxxis to "FAIL" I replaced it! Youroo!!
So your not a Maxxis fan anymore? the last set you had lasted 5 years when you replaced all four with new you gave the old one to the landscaper you said they still looked new, now i'm confused what are you going to go with now.. PS: it's hard to stay up with someone so wishie washie, I went with your recommendation.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #55

[QUOTE=youroo;1350035]My tire Dealer is replacing the Maxxis 8008 LR E tire that "Wore Very Oddly" the other 3 Maxxis look New still after 8000+ Miles! The Carlisle LR E HD that I replaced it with in California still looks New also after 4000+ miles! I didn't want to Wait a Week for a "Fresh Maxxis" to be shipped,the Carlisle was 1 month old! I didn't wait for the Maxxis to "FAIL" I replaced it! Youroo!! [/QUOTE

Wow! 1 month. Replaced all 5 with Carlisle last month. Oldest was 5 months old. Dealer bought the Trailer Kings that came on the 5er.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Actually it's not a no brainer a few things need to be considered before switching or not. ST tires have stiffer side walls to limit the rocking back and forth while towing, LT have softer side walls to improve ride. ST are designed to be run at max pressure to run cool and wear correctly. LT are only designed to be at max pressure when at max load or you wear out the center of the tire. Just some of the reasons. Each person has to decide what is important to them

There is so much wrong in this post...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
There is so much wrong in this post...
I thought it made some good points...please elaborate as to what's so wrong with it...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #58
Mod free 5er

Knock on wood, I have run GY Marathons since the 1990's on racecar trailers, tt, and my 5er and have NEVER even had a flat, probably bought well over 100 of them total. I also make sure to run max cp and if at all possible to not hit curbs and slow down to hit pot holes if at all possible. Have I gone up and down curbs, you bet, but very slowly. I always have them balanced. When Mardy and I built custom built racecar trailers, they all went out with GY Marathons. As I have said before, had one set (10 yrs old) on our enclosed racecar trailer that had sat on clay for their last 5 years that had the tread literally fall off but still had 40# of air in them. I will continue to use GY. In fact, if we make it to FL and back on the ones we have (2012 date) I will be buying a new set sometime in Sep2017.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #59
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My Wildcat came with Westlakes LR E and I was afraid to run them too long before replacing them. But I still have them on after 3 1/2 yrs with about 18,000 miles on them. Every time I decide on what my next set of tires will be I hear negative about my choice. It's just like the elections and none of the above is correct.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #60

Quote:
So your not a Maxxis fan anymore? the last set you had lasted 5 years when you replaced all four with new you gave the old one to the landscaper you said they still looked new, now i'm confused what are you going to go with now.. PS: it's hard to stay up with someone so wishie washie, I went with your recommendation.
Damm,you read a Lot into this! I replaced (1) Maxxis tire with a Carlisle "Just to Return Home" the NEW Carlisle tire was used instead of our Maxxis spare for "Return Evaluation"! Outcome results were "1 Bad Maxxis Tire" so they are replacing it! Now I have a Carlisle load range E sitting in the shop! Youroo!!

Tags
tire, tires