Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Damm,you read a Lot into this! I replaced (1) Maxxis tire with a Carlisle "Just to Return Home" the NEW Carlisle tire was used instead of our Maxxis spare for "Return Evaluation"! Outcome results were "1 Bad Maxxis Tire" so they are replacing it! Now I have a Carlisle load range E sitting in the shop! Youroo!!
Geez did you get up on the right side of the bed this morning or are you still sleeping on the couch? You old GRUMP...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
There is so much wrong in this post...
don't leave us guessing, tell me/us what is so wrong in the post so that I/we can benefit from your information
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
don't leave us guessing, tell me/us what is so wrong in the post so that I/we can benefit from your information

Saying ST tires have a stiffer sidewall is wrong. Anyone that has upgraded to LT tires know that the LT tires are stiffer.

Saying that ST tires are meant to run at max PSI whereas LT tires are not is wrong. Both tires are designed to run at max PSI. The LT tires can be ran at a lower PSI if the load is less (as can the ST), but running an LT tire at max PSI is not only possible, it is done most of the time.

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge the failures of ST tires... and doesn't acknowledge the mostly non-existent issues with LT tires just isn't paying attention.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #64

Dang, I couldn't help myself and read this thread anyway I have been avoiding tire threads due to all the conflicting BS from tire engineers and experts with agendas that remind me of all the election rhetoric I'm trying to avoid also.

In my RV group those with larger rigs run LT. Smaller rigs tend to run Maxxis. Nobody runs anything from China. Works good for us. Now back to the tire debates.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #65
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Dang, I couldn't help myself and read this thread anyway I have been avoiding tire threads due to all the conflicting BS from tire engineers and experts with agendas that remind me of all the election rhetoric I'm trying to avoid also.

In my RV group those with larger rigs run LT. Smaller rigs tend to run Maxxis. Nobody runs anything from China. Works good for us. Now back to the tire debates.....
And where are Maxxis made?

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Saying ST tires have a stiffer sidewall is wrong. Anyone that has upgraded to LT tires know that the LT tires are stiffer.
Let me clarify here. ST as well as LT tires come in different ply ratings/load ranges. To say that one is stiffer than the other without taking into consideration the differences in this is not comparing apple to apples. Comparing a 6 PR ST tire to a 10 PR LT tire is not a way to get true results.

There aren't really but a few sizes manufactured in both a ST and LT tire, as well as the same ply ratings so you could judge for yourself an apple to apple comparison.

I can tell you from hands on experience from the selling and mounting of both, that pound for pound, a ST tire usually does indeed have stiffer sidewalls when compared to the same equivalent in a LT tire.... so I would be wary in making ANY blanket statement saying different.

Carlisle states the same:

http://www.carlstargroup.com/cms_fil..._Practices.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
Thailand
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #68
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...Smaller rigs tend to run Maxxis. Nobody runs anything from China. Works good for us. Now back to the tire debates.....
Bolded statement is not true, if it is an ST tire ,it is built in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, India, Indonesia and Dubai.. NO ST tires are made in the USA.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #69
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
Operating under the name Maxxis in some countries, Cheng Shin has operations in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, India, Indonesia and Dubai.https://www.google.com/#q=where+are+maxxis+tires+made
Old 10-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Bolded statement is not true, if it is an ST tire ,it is built in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, India, Indonesia and Dubai.. NO ST tires are made in the USA.
Uhoh... Old Coot is awake. In my post that was talking about my group only... none of us run any tires from China. Is that clear enough for you or will you continue to call me a liar? Also, maybe you misread but I didn't say anything about ST tires and the USA.

Originally Posted by NMWildcat

Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #71

Quote:
Operating under the name Maxxis in some countries, Cheng Shin has operations in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, India, Indonesia and Dubai.https://www.google.com/#q=where+are+maxxis+tires+made
True, but if you google specifically where Maxxis ST RV tires are made (M8008) the plant is in Thailand. And that's what it says on the tire itself. And just in case you aren't sure... Thailand is not part of China
Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #72
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...In my RV group those with larger rigs run LT. Smaller rigs tend to run Maxxis. Nobody runs anything from China. Works good for us. Now back to the tire debates.....
Are smaller rigs in your group or are all larger rigs? That is what I was referencing.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #73

Quote:
Are smaller rigs in your group or are all larger rigs? That is what I was referencing.
You can read the post any way you like Old Coot. Guess I will have to be very explicit. IN MY GROUP, those WHO ARE IN MY GROUP with smaller rigs tend to run MAXXIS.

By the way... Nice Map!!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You can read the post anyway you like Old Coot. Guess I will have to be very explicit. IN MY GROUP, those WHO ARE IN MY GROUP with smaller rigs tend to run MAXXIS.

By the way... Nice Map!!!!
Then the smaller rigs in your group that run Maxxis are running non USA made ST tires.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #75

Quote:
Then the smaller rigs in your group that run Maxxis are running non USA made ST tires.
Okay. What in the world does that have to do with anything in my original post? I said none of my group run any tire made in China, that was it. Never said anything about ST tires being made in USA. That was you

I think you and I just like to get under each others skin, which is apparently very easy to do!! LOL!! Have a nice day!!! *kicking myself for even opening this thread today*
Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #76

WELL THANKS ALOT FOLKS......
Y'all got me scared to pull mine out the driveway now...LOL
Our camper came with Constancy ly188 dated 4514 (Nov/2014)....and researching today I find out that the Constancy trademark was registered 9/2014 They are part of Lionshead that had a bunch of tires recalled mid 2014...interesting. Lionshead also made the rims and filled with Nitro.
At 2 years and around 4000 miles they appear in good shape. but are they
So in looking at #s, load rated 1760/ 7040 lbs, and last weight was 5280 so adding 20% I'm still under by 704 lbs. I'm always checking tires at every stop, pressures prior to every trip. Now the gamble begins.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #77

In the article I posted in post #47 there are numerous tire manufacturer’s involved. They write a little about most everything ST. One of them points out the sidewall stiffness of all tire designs and even the difference of stiffness within a design. The design of the tire is mainly determined by its intended market and how it will be used.

ST tire sidewall stiffness is not from top to bottom stiff. In the ST design a section in between top and bottom of the sidewall may be softer to allow for its skidding during tight turns. In my researching, Carlisle has been the only manufacturer that I’ve found the even mentions that fact in their ST tires. I’m sure other’s do. Maxxis has a very comprehensive PDF about their tires and a very nice diagram with step by step building procedures/processes.

A lot of things about tires are confidential from manufacturer to manufacturer. They are never revealed to the public unless litigation forces them to do so.

Here is the Maxxis reference.

How a Tire is Made | Maxxis Tires USA

On Edit: Here is another document I highly recommend for your tire reading files.

The RMA is a major contributor to tire regulations and tire industry standards. They play a major roll on all NHTSA and tire industry rulings. A very high percentage of this document is accurate and completely in-line with the ruling body and the American tire industry’s standards.

Chapter #4 (RV section) starts on page #47.

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf
Old 10-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #78
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...I think you and I just like to get under each others skin, which is apparently very easy to do!! LOL!! Have a nice day!!! *kicking myself for even opening this thread today*
Sure not trying to get under your skin, just trying to understand the post. You have a nice day also.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #79

I did not mean to ignite a flame. For clarification my post said nothing about failure of tires, and attempted to convey that it is not a cut and dried rule for one type of tire. My closure stated its your decision (hopefully after research other then campfire talk) to change type of tire or not.

My rig has 14" C rated ST tires with about 6K miles on them, they have good tread and hold pressure no sidewall cracking, I will be upgrading to load range D (max for 14") in the feature. I don't believe I have the axle clearance for 15" rims.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
My closure stated its your decision to change type of tire or not.

As an owner that's a very true statement, with consequences. Especially if you're from a state or province that has vehicle inspections.

I've written about this a lot over the years and in a lot of different forums. To get to the "why", you have to dig deep into tire regulations and standards to find the bottom line. Once one comes to terms about how government regulations are written and applied it becomes easier. Same with tire industry standards.

For the most part nothing about the original equipment (OE) tire is binding on the vehicle owner. The regulations used by the vehicle manufacturer are binding on them to insure your vehicle has passed all the safety standards before you sign for it.

You are presented with a vehicle owner manual that outlines the various safety signals you should follow. They are derived from safety regulations and tire industry standards.

You are given a warranty package for the brand of tires that came with your trailer or a phone number and address to contact to request the package directly from the OEM supplier.

This is a good place to provide this little tid-bit. It's a quote from a NHTS interpretation;

"Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others."

Once I understood that I accepted tire industry standards as binding on my personal decisions about tires for my vehicles.

But, wait, It doesn't stop there. Tire manufacturers do not butt heads with rules makers. And that's going to take us on a regulations trip most are not going to understand, agree with or see the connection. I assure you it's all connected even though I'm going to take almost all of it out of context because it needs to be seen in my short way, or study it for many, many, many more pages.

In accordance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) all tire selections and fitments for OE tires is the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer.

Jumping right to the regulation; FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S5.3.1 Tires. The size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

That statement has a far reaching meaning to the vehicle manufacturing and tire industry. Each tire qualified for trailer axles (P, LT & ST etc..) are different in design, load carrying ability and recommended inflation pressures. Whatever design the vehicle manufacturer determines is "appropriate" for vehicle fitment MUST be displayed on the vehicle's federal certification label. To deviate from the information provided on the certification label without vehicle manufacturer approval is a breach in vehicle safety.

I'm sure some of you have seen posts about tire retailers refusing to install replacement tires from other designs in place of the ST tires. All of the major LT tire manufacturers have statements in their warranty packages about not using their LT tires to replace OE tires from the ST design.

When reading a LT tire manufacturer's standards for replacement tires they almost always lead off with a statement that informs their retailers to insure that tire replacement have a recommendation from the individual vehicle manufacturer.

Tags
tire, tires