Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

Vnose or signature ultra lite owners question

Hello to all you V-nose family. I was wondering how many of you Rockwood Windjammer or Flagstaff V-Lite owners have upgraded your tires to E load range? I have a 2014 3025W that is having multiple tire issues and I'm definitely going to at least D range but wondering if the aluminum rims would handle the pressure of E range tires? They are not the Series 6 but Sumtec rims, or something like that. Anyone have knowledge at what these rims are rated for if I install metal stems? I've read several posts of people installing E range, but not inflating them past 65 psi. That pressure range (65)on an E still leaves you with the capability of a D so what's the advantage other than an under inflated tire with a stiffer sidewall? So if any of you have this information lets hear what your rims are rated for before I order tires.
My TPMS just arrived yesterday. I've made other posts regarding my tires and I don't intend to start another thread on how crappy the tires are, just if anyone knows about these rims and/or jumping from C to E range. I think the Signature Ultra Lite owners are cousins in the manufacturing line with us. Rockwood warranty discouraged me from going to E range. (There are multiple debates about tire brand suggestions so I'm not intending to get that info....plenty of other threads and opinions out there).
Thanks,
CP in AL

Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #2

I upgraded the tires on my Windjammer. The load range Ds I put on have a capacity of 2540 pounds each which gives me over a 25% safety factor if the trailer is loaded to maximum capacity. I was not sure the rims were rated for 80 psi and using LR E at 65 psi does not provide any increased capacity over LR D at 65 psi.

Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
I upgraded the tires on my Windjammer. The load range Ds I put on have a capacity of 2540 pounds each which gives me over a 25% safety factor if the trailer is loaded to maximum capacity. I was not sure the rims were rated for 80 psi and using LR E at 65 psi does not provide any increased capacity over LR D at 65 psi.

Exactly! That's what I did. And D is typically cheaper than E.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #4

Windjammin,

Just my very thoughts. I will be interested to see what other owners responses are.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

okay, just came back from dealer who still has my Windjammer for warranty work.. Crawled under and noticed stamped on my SUMEC rims that the max load for these rims is 2150 LBS.....WHAT? you've got to be kidding me. That is hardly a 7% margin from gross GAWR and can EASILY be exceeded by swerving or hitting debris or a pothole. A rim collapse could be catastrophic. I am going to contact Forest River. Even if a D range tire were put on the wheel is still not rated for more than 2150 lbs. SOmething is wrong here. Others say they have the Series 6 brand Rims on their Windjammers which were rated at least for D range tires.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

My tire dealer put load range E on my 3008W Windjammer with metal valve stems and told me to run them at 70 psi. I probably could have gotten by with load range d, but he had these E s in stock and gave me a good deal on them.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

My V-Lite should be in in two weeks or less.
I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

Zolin, Your axle aren't rated to carry the full weight of your trailer, you have to deduct your hitch weight for a travel trailer or gooseneck weight for a 5th wheel.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #9

Yes, you are correct. Currently my trailer weighs 8300 lbs unhitched. I have 940 lbs on tongue subtracted from the total weight leaves me with 7400 lbs across the tandem 4k axles. This was verified at certified scales. When hitched to the truck the WDH transfers 200lbs to the rear axles of the trailer and approx 200 lbs to the front axle of the truck. So, 7400 lbs plus 200 lbs transferred to the tandem puts me at 7600 lbs across both rear axles. This was carefully calculated numerous times in various loading and weight distributing conditions using certified CAT scales. The gross weight of the jammer is 8900 lbs which includes axle and hitch weight combined.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

So what I am saying is that if I were to load the axles close to their GAWR of 4 k each that theoretically places 2000 lbs on each wheel (4000 /2). The rims and tires are rated for only 2150 lbs so that leaves a safety margin of only 7.5 percent per wheel. That could easily be exceeded by rounding a corner or hitting a pot hole. The strength is just not there for these situations and the tire breaks apart inside.

FR and Lions Head refute the inadequacy of the tires by stating the tires are put into a stress condition they were not designed for and place responsibility back on the customer. But even if we are within the guidelines and load limitations there is not a possibility you can't prevent these temporary stress conditions. All of the recommended guidelines suggest that a wheel/tire needs to have at least 15 preferably 20 percent margin of extra capacity beyond the working load to accommodate these conditions for safe operation. Car manufacturers know this and are required by DOT code to have formulas for extra load bearing capacity beyond the placarded ratings.

TST 507RV TPMS