Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
Site Team

Voiding tire warranties with Fix-a-flat

I'm just offering this as a FYI bit of advice, as more and more tire manufacturers are specifically stating that the use of Fix-a-flat sealant type products can void the warranty on their tires....and will not be covered.

This is really becoming a point of contention, especially since many auto manufacturers are doing away with the spare tire. The vehicle manufacturers are putting run-flat tires on their vehicles....or are offering/telling their customers to use a fix-a-flat product. However, the tire manufacturers are saying if you do use F-A-F, then the warranty can be void. The vehicle and tire manufacturers seem to be at odds with one another.

I know, as a tire shop, we actually loathe the FAF stuff. We also won't guarantee any repair of a tire that comes in with it. It also is a source of high speed imbalances when it's in tires many times. It can also really clog up internal TPMS sensors.

Here is a snippet of Michelins warranty listing what is not covered. I emboldened the part about this:

http://www.discounttire.com/Michelin...nersManual.pdf

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

This warranty does not cover tires damaged due to
misuse, abuse or accident such as:

Road hazards (e.g., cuts, snags, bruises, impact damage or punctures);

Incorrect mounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance or improper repair;

Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation, overinflation
or other abuse;

Uneven or rapid wear which is caused by mechanical irregularity in the
vehicle such as wheel misalignment, (a measured tread difference of
2/32nds of an inch or more across the tread on the same tire);

Accident, fire, chemical corrosion, tire alteration or vandalism;

Flat spotting caused by improper storage or brakelock;

The addition of liquid, solid or gaseous materials other than air, nitrogen or
carbon dioxide (for example, waterbase sealers or balancing substances);

Cosmetic ozone or weather cracking;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is snippet of Bridgestone/Firestones warranty that states basically the same in #5

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/conte...arranty_EN.pdf

2. Rapid tread wear or wear-out. Original equipment tires have
no mileage warranty.
3. Weather/ozone cracking after 4 years from date of tire
manufacture.
4. Ride disturbance or vibration after 1/32 inch (0.8mm) of tread
wear use.
5. Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was
not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer.
6. Tires used in commercial service.
7. Tires purchased and normally used outside the United States
and Canada

Just letting the members know, as knowledge is power.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

So if I read that correctly, if someone uses the balance beads that would void the warranty too.
I can just imagine the sticky mess you have to deal with inside a tire with the fix a flat in it.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

It’s not applicable to just the light truck or passenger tires. The following quote is from a not covered section of the Towmax Special Trailer tire warranty.

“Not covered: addition of liquids, solids or gases (other than air, nitrogen, carbon dioxide).”

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Site Team

It's kind of subjective. It doesn't per se state it voids all warranty, but it does give them probably enough leeway to void the warranty if they see the stuff in there.

The biggest thing that comes to my mind is trying to repair a tire. We have to do our best to wash it out beforehand to get the chemical and such out so that the glue and patch will adhere.

If the patch then came loose later, due to the fix a flat being previously installed, then there is a big chance the tire may be ruined. I can understand a tire manufacturer not accepting this for warranty, as it really goes to an improper repaired tire type thing. NOW improperly repaired tires (such as an outside inserted plug) do VOID warranties.

Here is Goodyears take:

Goodyear does not warrant or give credit in any adjustment transactions for any kind of material added to a tire (e.g., tire fillers, sealants, balancing substances) after the tire leaves a factory producing Goodyear, Dunlop or Kelly tires, nor will it adjust any tire that has failed as a result of adding such material.

Now,how do they determine if a tire has failed due to it..........

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
It’s not applicable to just the light truck or passenger tires. The following quote is from a not covered section of the Towmax Special Trailer tire warranty.

“Not covered: addition of liquids, solids or gases (other than air, nitrogen, carbon dioxide).”

Airdale
Thanks Airdale. I had been reading about this in our tire trade magazines, and was putting it out there for our members and their tow or personal vehicles. You just confirmed it can also apply to their RV's as well. Good deal.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Site Team

Carlisle is even more stringent it seems as in F below:

http://www.carlisletransportationpro...ay-non-highway

6. The Warranty DOES NOT apply to the following:
(a). continued use while run flat or under a state of acute under-inflation
(b). tire damage or irregular wear due to road hazard, including puncture, cut,
impact break, bulge, snag, stone drill, or collision
(c). repaired tubes, tires or wheels
(d). tires or wheels used in racing or competition
(e). tires or wheels subjected to overloading, improper mounting, use of an incorrect
rim, purposeful abuse or chemical contamination
(f). tires or wheels which have been patched, plugged or repaired or into which liquid balancers or sealants have been introduced
(g). cosmetic irregularities

Old 06-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Site Team

I had a new Hyundai, with an OEM F-A-F style repair kit supplied in leiu of a spare tire, so where does that leave me? Sitting on the side of the road trapped between two companies conflicting policies?

I suspect the tire manufactures will end up backing down since the vehicle manufactures provide the specifications for the tires they purchase. And the manufactures buy a lot of tires.

I share your opinion of F-A-F type products. I worked PT at a full service station when I was in college in the 70's and hated to see any goo in a tire. It made it a nasty mess to do a plug and patch! But now it is OEM goo....
Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Now,how do they determine if a tire has failed due to it..........[/QUOTE]

same process i suspect that NASCAR determined some teams were bleeding the tires by drilling small holes in the sidewalls.

they take the tire back and microscopically examine it or they have the 17 yr old pimple faced red headed stepchild mechanic at Costco determine it...

Ford told me that if i put a set of bull bars in front of my ecoboost opening it would void my warranty for even my transmission and rear end because it could throw the turbo cooler...

nice try guys but

NO!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

Good info. Have been told that before a few years ago at a tire shop in Moab.

I always carry a plug kit, 12 volt compressor and a can of Fix-A-Flat. The FaF is for a last ditch effort to get to civilization; knowing I will have to pay for a new tire at the end. Just insurance....hope I never need it!

But I also inserted multiple plugs into the sidewall of my Hummer one time so I could get about 3 miles on a nasty dirt trail to pavement so that AAA would come tow me back to town. (Spare was already destroyed. Last set of BFGs I have ever owned.)

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
RetiredRVer

Exclamation

If you are using plugs, fix-a-flat, patches etc......you have a road hazard issue, and I don't believe the tire manufacturer will warranty your tire in these situations. I have a Corvette with runflat tires, and it has a tire repair kit included. It may get you where you need to go so you can get a new tire, but that's about it. Just sayin'....
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #11

I guess times change, in my C5, I did not get any factory plug kit, just the runflats. Those were replaced with GS-D3s and my own plug kit and small compressor. And I agree, plugs usually void the warranty (as well as the speed rating), but I believe a professionally installed plug/patch is ok...I think. And plugging the sidewall is not advised, but if the tire is destroyed, you are in a desert, and it will get you to a paved road (AAA requirement), it works!
Someone with the knowledge might answer on if a plug/patch will keep a tire warranty.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Amy's "LC" little car comes factory with a "tire sealant" and mini air compressor if she should get a flat.
No spare.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Good info. Have been told that before a few years ago at a tire shop in Moab.

I always carry a plug kit, 12 volt compressor and a can of Fix-A-Flat. The FaF is for a last ditch effort to get to civilization; knowing I will have to pay for a new tire at the end. Just insurance....hope I never need it!

But I also inserted multiple plugs into the sidewall of my Hummer one time so I could get about 3 miles on a nasty dirt trail to pavement so that AAA would come tow me back to town. (Spare was already destroyed. Last set of BFGs I have ever owned.)
Napa and a few ours now have sidewall patches.
We've used them on low speed utility tires so far without issue.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

Need to access the inside of the tire to apply a patch. I guess I could have used something like that by removing the tire from the rim, then reseating with some ether. But the plugs worked; had to stop about every mile to add some more air. But better than walking three miles on a 110 degree day.

Tags
tire