Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
I'm by far no mechanic, But if your wheel lug nuts where lose, and going down the road loosened them more, it might look like the stud threads were crossed threaded. If the lug nuts threads are still in the hub take it down to a tire dealer and find out if it was cross threaded. It just sounds like the dealer is getting out of the repair. They also should have checked the torque before you got it. You know the transport people never do....Good luck..

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:05 AM   #12
It's a 2016 Vibe by Forest River

dajones95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #13
The lugs were loose and sheared off the bolts plain and simple. It happens all the time because no one is tightening them up.
2016 Flagstaff 23lb
Toddupton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #14
I suggest you read your trailer's owner's manual so you know the proper procedures for things before you report warranty problems to the vehicle manufacturer that you yourself have caused.

Like others have said, it's clearly spelled out in the owner's manual that the wheels need retorting at periodic intervals.

ST tires, unless otherwise marked with a speed letter on their sidewalls, are all 65 MPH tires (MAX). Once the limit is reached, the tire is out of any available load capacity above it's maximum value listed on it's sidewall. Pretty soon it will get hot and fail.
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #15
Did you get your wheel back? They are expensive to replace. Studs are cheap actually. Any auto service place can replace them. I would go that route now. As much as many have laid blame here the trailer, any trailer, if torqued correctly at the dealer should not loosen off after leaving to the point of wheel separation.

In my trailering life I torqued when new and follow the manufacturers initial specifications. I check them once a year.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
it is likely the wheel bolt holes are worn/mishappened beside damage to the lugs and possibly tire ... you didn't say if it was 1 or 2 wheels(?). If it hasn't been done; it might be interesting to find out the present torgue on the passenger side lugs. I'm sorry for your troubles, I won't be critical, because we all make rookie mistakes some can be rather expensive to fix.
XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #17
Originally Posted by dajones95 View Post
It's a 2016 Vibe by Forest River
I can see you've got great advice from the members here [not] .
you do need to check the lug torque when new and at least a couple times per season . sounds like this was back in the shop with the flat and the torque on the lugs should have been checked then . no reason for this to happen other then lack of quality work and people that just don't care .
seems most of the new st tires coming out now and for the last year are rated at 75mph . if yours are rated for 65 going 5mph more should not cause all hell to break loose. you may want to report the issue to the appropriate government agency's. then you just need to work on FR and the dealer that has done the work since in the end they are libel for what they send out
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #18
I would be curious to know the time span between when they worked on your flat and your wheel came off. Was it the same wheel? Might be facts to help your case with the dealership. Sounds like you talked to most of the right folks already. The only thing left is to find out who your regions factory rep is and contact them. If all else fails, turn it into your insurance.

And yes, as everybody has said, it's a good habit to get into to check your lugs. I check mine after anybody works on tires/brakes/bearings. Also check before most trips. But saying that, in 30 years I've never found any 1 lug loose enough to cause me concern, much less cause all the lugs to break. So I think somebody at your dealership didn't do their job properly.

As for all the folks placing blame on you for going 70mph.... PPHHHHTTTT!!!! Didn't have a dang thing to do with loose lug nuts or the dealership not reimbursing you. But as you know from these threads, traveling over 65 on STs causes male pattern baldness and global weather changes

Keep hounding the dealership with facts and receipts for damages. You would think they would help out just for customer good will!!! Good luck, and let us know if you get any action on this.

Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote