Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #1

Water Tank Frame bending

I have a 2104S Rockwood. I noticed the other day that the frame that holds the freshwater tank on is bending. I'm bringing it in for some warranty work Tue. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I've never traveled with more than 1/4 tank but while stationary at the campground, I filled it the other day as they were shutting off the water for repair work to a line. This is the only time I can imagine it could have happened and I noticed it after running all the water out of it over the next day or so.

The angle iron is just too light for a full load of water. Had I tried to travel with a full tank, the whole damn thing would have probably fell out.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #2

Too Tall, a number of Mini Lites have reported that same problem on this forum. Use the "search" button near the top of the page and you may be able to find the discussions. I think enough Mini Lites suffered this defect that any FR dealer should be aware of what to do for the repair. I suspect that you are correct that the angle iron is just too light. I have not had this problem yet with my 2109S but I keep checking. Good luck with your repair.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #3

Same Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
Too Tall, a number of Mini Lites have reported that same problem on this forum. Use the "search" button near the top of the page and you may be able to find the discussions. I think enough Mini Lites suffered this defect that any FR dealer should be aware of what to do for the repair. I suspect that you are correct that the angle iron is just too light. I have not had this problem yet with my 2109S but I keep checking. Good luck with your repair.

While running my solar/inverter wire, I removed the underbelly and noticed that mine is bending too. Do you know if this is covered for my 2011 Rockwood. If you have had the this repaired, did they replace with same quality or a beefer version. Pictures if you have them would be great to see how it was repaired.

Haven't had a chance to inspect the gray or black water. Does anyone know if they have the same issue?

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Had the same issue on our 21SSL. I believe it was caused from previous owner when he filled the fresh water tank. I noticed when filling that the vent hose cannot quite keep up and can cause the tank to build up pressure (so much that it did expand to the point it was touching the previously bent metal support).

I've since re-routed the vent hose and haven't noticed any issues when filling.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

People don't realize you can't shove the hose in the fw fill and crank it up.
The hose will put in far more water then the air can get out.

I trickle mine in.

TURBS.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
People don't realize you can't shove the hose in the fw fill and crank it up.
The hose will put in far more water then the air can get out.

I trickle mine in.

TURBS.
Thanks for the heads up on that Turbs. I will make sure I fill it slowly when I get it back.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
While running my solar/inverter wire, I removed the underbelly and noticed that mine is bending too. Do you know if this is covered for my 2011 Rockwood. If you have had the this repaired, did they replace with same quality or a beefer version. Pictures if you have them would be great to see how it was repaired.

Haven't had a chance to inspect the gray or black water. Does anyone know if they have the same issue?

That's all most exactly what mine looks like. My RV is at the dealer for repair now but I will take pictures of the repair and post them. I called the dealer today and they said the repair was approved (under warranty) and Rockwood was sending a replacement brace. If they send the same thing, I'm going to beef it up myself as I want to be able to travel with a full tank of water if I need to.

I did look at the gray and black water tanks and they look fine. They are taller and not as wide as the FW tank. I will keep an eye on those also but I don't think they are as susceptible to this issue as the FW tank.

The comments on filling and the plastic tank expanding is interesting. my hose doesn't go more than about an inch into the fill inlet however. If that is happening, that's another design problem as the vent is either too small or the tank is too thin and should not expand to the point where it can bend steel.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #8

Our 2013 Palomino Ultra Lite had exactly the same problem.The braces were so weak that the tank ruptured under the weight of 240# and ACTUALLY CRACKED in 2 places..
With that said-I took her to C.World (because my damn dealer was too busy) and they installed a new tank and rebraced the tank from below.
I saved the old tank-took it to the barn and dissected the cracks with a recip saw and took pics too(up close).I mailed then to F. R. .
I sent the bill to F.R. and in their true (I'm a believer now) customer service-they sent me a check.Paid in full.Thank You Forest River-I'll be back!!!

PS-The Camping World tech's said that the new tank had "More Beef" than the original.Also-I was 1 year over warranty!!Love F.R.-This is how you make customers for life.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that Turbs. I will make sure I fill it slowly when I get it back.
In the spring I will re-enforce the L-brackets and follow your instructions on filling the fresh water slowly. Like many things in life, its better to take your time and do it right the first time.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Your welcome!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #11

different model but i had the same problem. mine actually fell out of the cradle.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #12

if mine comes back from the warranty repair with the same light weight angle iron, I'm going to probably just tack a heavier piece of angle iron over the top of the existing brace. That should make it fool proof.

The repair guy told me that these trailers are not designed to tow with full tanks. What? Who ever heard of that? Kind of defeats the term; "fully self contained", doesn't it?

Tags
frame, tank, water, water tank