Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #21

Everyone is over complicating this. Just park your rig, go in an speak with the weighmaster, and tell him what you want. He will instruct you on what to do, how to get your printouts, how to pay, etc. They have a speaker at the scale but I can never understand them, I prefer to talk in person.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #22

Whatever state you live in, contact the state police. They control the highway scales, and they should give you the information you want.
Happy camping.
Mcnet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #23

I would never stop at a state weigh station unless they had signs out saying specifically RVs must stop. Why give them a chance to provide you with a very expensive ticket for being overweight?

And you probably will be overweight like so many RVs are. One of the best things you can do if you get the chance is to have it weighed by individual wheels to see what the weight load is. Escapees sponsors a company that does this and you can see if your weight distribution is even or if there's too much load on any tires.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by imzady7 View Post
There is an App now called Weigh My Truck it is very convenient. It allows you to set up an account and there is a find a scale section to locate a CAT scale in your area. They are usually located in the Pilots, Flying J or other truck stop locations.
You obviously didn't read the previous posts!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #25
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Our local landfill will weigh, at least on my Class C, front axle then both axles with no charge as long as you don't need it certified. There is no printout given, they just write it on a piece of paper. A certified print out can be had for a small fee
That's what we use

BTW in response to the tire pressure question

I have a Coachmen Concord 310DS on the E450 chassis. I run 80 psi in the rear and 75 psi in the front. IIRC that is what is on the door sticker.

FWIW the last time I rolled the scales we were headed out for a week long trip, fully loaded. I was 200# under on GVW and 100# over on the rear axle weight rating. Reckon I need to move the cast iron cookware further forward!

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Must be a specific issue with that Pilot, the local Pilot here in Warner Robins GA has no problems with RV's using their CAT scales.

Mike
the CAT scale web site even demonstrates how to line up travel trailers and motorhomes on the scales.

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/
Old 12-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I would never stop at a state weigh station unless they had signs out saying specifically RVs must stop. Why give them a chance to provide you with a very expensive ticket for being overweight?

And you probably will be overweight like so many RVs are. One of the best things you can do if you get the chance is to have it weighed by individual wheels to see what the weight load is. Escapees sponsors a company that does this and you can see if your weight distribution is even or if there's too much load on any tires.
We had our class A weighed at an Escapees site. It's good to have corner weights so you can find if one side of the coach is heavier. Even if your axle weight os good, one side could be overloaded. They also weighed the toad.

Once you get the actual weights you can find the recommended inflation for your tires.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchyoldman View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the info, this has been quite an education!

-Grouchy
OK, and now for the actual "protocol" for using the CAT scales:

1) It's best to stay out of the way of the trucks. They are working, not on vacation, and their time is money. Let them get their work done and get going. Don't worry if you see a line - each truck takes only about 1 minute. While waiting, don't block the entry, exit or turnaround area for the trucks. (In some stations, trucks need to make a 180 sweep turn to get into or out of the scale area.)

2) The scales weigh your axles, not individual wheels. Don't even ask them to do individual wheels (which is helpful info!) - they don't do it. The web site says, "Our scales can give you axle weights and a total gross weight, however, they cannot weigh each corner of the vehicle. We cannot provide individual wheel weights and, to prevent damage to your vehicle as well as our scales, do not allow that type of weighing."

3) Make sure you enter the scale from the correct end. Either watch the trucks go through or look for the yellow and black box where you speak to the weighmaster. That will need to be on your driver's side when you get to it.

4) Pull right in with your window adjacent to the call box. (In most cases, you won't have to worry about your position on the scales, but if you have a concern such as a toad or a multi-axle trailer, before calling in you can step out and check the location of your axles on each of the scales.) Press the black call button. It's positioned high for truck cabs, so you may have to stand up on your running board or inside your cab to reach it. There may be a second button lower down if you are lucky, that you may have to get out of the cab to reach.

5) The weighmaster doesn't want to chit chat. When you call, they don't know who you are. He (or she) will quickly ask you "first weigh or re-weigh" (because there is a price difference - re-weighs are $2.00). Just say "first weigh."

6) The weighmaster will then ask "truck number?" or "cab number"? You can either say "it's an RV" or give your license number. I give our license # so the printout can be tied to our RV. If you do this, try to use the military alphabet so they can understand you on the first try. Again, trying to get done and get out of the way.

7) The weighmaster will also ask you what kind of cargo you have (for example, grain, lumber, etc.). Just say "it's an RV." (If you already said "it's an RV" they may not ask this question but it's also a force of habit thing. If they ask anyway, don't worry, just say "please just put down RV on the ticket" and they will do that.)

8) The weighing is immediate. The weighmater will then say "OK pull around and come inside." Park well out of the way of the truckers.

9) Go inside to the desk (there's usually another "CAT Scale" yellow and black sign) and tell them "I'm the RV" <grin> - it's OK, they already knew it as you were walking up! Hand over your credit card or cash and they will give you your ticket and your receipt. If there's anything else you want to buy such as food or beverages, bring it to the counter with you so you don't have to ring twice.

That's it - easy and fast.

The video on this page explains the process too:

PS: If you do find you are overweight overall or on any specific axle, and you want to remove or re-position some heavy items (for example, move some stuff to your toad), you can go through and get re-weighed for $2.00 telling the weighmaster on the first question it is a re-weigh. You have 24 hours to complete this.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #29

Thank you MNTraveler, that was the answer I was seeking and with all the rest of the education in this thread I am now ready to put it to work!

Cheers,

-Grouchy
Grouchyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #30

MNTraveler... great info, had this question myself... thanx so much !!

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
OK, and now for the actual "protocol" for using the CAT scales:

1) It's best to stay out of the way of the trucks. They are working, not on vacation, and their time is money. Let them get their work done and get going. Don't worry if you see a line - each truck takes only about 1 minute. While waiting, don't block the entry, exit or turnaround area for the trucks. (In some stations, trucks need to make a 180 sweep turn to get into or out of the scale area.)

2) The scales weigh your axles, not individual wheels. Don't even ask them to do individual wheels (which is helpful info!) - they don't do it. The web site says, "Our scales can give you axle weights and a total gross weight, however, they cannot weigh each corner of the vehicle. We cannot provide individual wheel weights and, to prevent damage to your vehicle as well as our scales, do not allow that type of weighing."

3) Make sure you enter the scale from the correct end. Either watch the trucks go through or look for the yellow and black box where you speak to the weighmaster. That will need to be on your driver's side when you get to it.

4) Pull right in with your window adjacent to the call box. (In most cases, you won't have to worry about your position on the scales, but if you have a concern such as a toad or a multi-axle trailer, before calling in you can step out and check the location of your axles on each of the scales.) Press the black call button. It's positioned high for truck cabs, so you may have to stand up on your running board or inside your cab to reach it. There may be a second button lower down if you are lucky, that you may have to get out of the cab to reach.

5) The weighmaster doesn't want to chit chat. When you call, they don't know who you are. He (or she) will quickly ask you "first weigh or re-weigh" (because there is a price difference - re-weighs are $2.00). Just say "first weigh."

6) The weighmaster will then ask "truck number?" or "cab number"? You can either say "it's an RV" or give your license number. I give our license # so the printout can be tied to our RV. If you do this, try to use the military alphabet so they can understand you on the first try. Again, trying to get done and get out of the way.

7) The weighmaster will also ask you what kind of cargo you have (for example, grain, lumber, etc.). Just say "it's an RV." (If you already said "it's an RV" they may not ask this question but it's also a force of habit thing. If they ask anyway, don't worry, just say "please just put down RV on the ticket" and they will do that.)

8) The weighing is immediate. The weighmater will then say "OK pull around and come inside." Park well out of the way of the truckers.

9) Go inside to the desk (there's usually another "CAT Scale" yellow and black sign) and tell them "I'm the RV" <grin> - it's OK, they already knew it as you were walking up! Hand over your credit card or cash and they will give you your ticket and your receipt. If there's anything else you want to buy such as food or beverages, bring it to the counter with you so you don't have to ring twice.

That's it - easy and fast.

The video on this page explains the process too:

PS: If you do find you are overweight overall or on any specific axle, and you want to remove or re-position some heavy items (for example, move some stuff to your toad), you can go through and get re-weighed for $2.00 telling the weighmaster on the first question it is a re-weigh. You have 24 hours to complete this.

Agreed- that was a most excellent answer.

The specific weighings that people need (at a minimum) are:

For a fifth wheel

Weigh travel trailer

And from those weights, my other site comes in handy:
http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/
Old 05-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
From googling their website it appears that "CAT Scales" is a company that specializes in accurate truck scales. Their was nothing to indicate that they are in any way connected to "Caterpillar" the heavy equipment company, I wanted to know that one. On their website they have a list of ALL locations where one may find a CAT certified scale. Ironically the one located in my hometown, Albany, Ga. at the PILOT truck stop WILL NOT weigh RV's of any type. I have been there multiple times to talk to someone about this and they have shown me a letter from a manager of PILOT truck stops stating that they are NOT to weigh any RV vehicle, no good reason given. This is not a truck stop on a super highway and IMO does not have so much truck traffic that weighing an RV would interrupt a trucker doing their job.
CAT is an acronym for Certified Accurate Truck scale. Use their web site to find a scale near you, or on your route. The scale breakers down the weight distribution by axle set.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote