Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

Weigh Station Protocol

We purchased a nice Class C last August and we are still figgering things out. One big item on my list is getting tire pressure correct. I've read the info on the cab door panel and my best guess from that was 80 PSI cold for all six tires (2016 Coachmen Freelander 21 QB). The guessing part is my not knowing the fully loaded weight of the RV.

Hence, Weigh Station Protocol questions:

- Can any vehicle use the scales?

- They often seem to be closed, does that mean you can't weigh or just that they won't record/report on commercial traffic?

- If they are open, do you just drive up and get in line?

- Does it cost to weigh?

And, finally, do the truckers get pissed at sharing the line with a silly little RV?

Perhaps I'm not the only Newbie who is wondering about this so, thanks in advance,

-Grouchy
Grouchyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Almost all flying I'd or pilots have CAT scales, think it is about $10 to get weight.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #3

You can use any Cat scale at a truck stop, this will cost you a small fee between $12 and $15. I haven't weighed in awhile so, I do not know what the current fees are.

Or you can use a grain elevator or gravel pit scale if they are not in use. They some times leave them on at night.

Now if you are referring to the DOT highway scales they are for commercial trucks only when they are open. You might be able to run across the scales if they are closed some have done that on this forum.

I myself have always used the Cat scales at truck stops and just pay the fee for use.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses!

I know I sound like a dummy but What is a CAT scale and where are they to be found?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/ scroll down for RVs

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

From googling their website it appears that "CAT Scales" is a company that specializes in accurate truck scales. Their was nothing to indicate that they are in any way connected to "Caterpillar" the heavy equipment company, I wanted to know that one. On their website they have a list of ALL locations where one may find a CAT certified scale. Ironically the one located in my hometown, Albany, Ga. at the PILOT truck stop WILL NOT weigh RV's of any type. I have been there multiple times to talk to someone about this and they have shown me a letter from a manager of PILOT truck stops stating that they are NOT to weigh any RV vehicle, no good reason given. This is not a truck stop on a super highway and IMO does not have so much truck traffic that weighing an RV would interrupt a trucker doing their job.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
From googling their website it appears that "CAT Scales" is a company that specializes in accurate truck scales. Their was nothing to indicate that they are in any way connected to "Caterpillar" the heavy equipment company, I wanted to know that one. On their website they have a list of ALL locations where one may find a CAT certified scale. Ironically the one located in my hometown, Albany, Ga. at the PILOT truck stop WILL NOT weigh RV's of any type. I have been there multiple times to talk to someone about this and they have shown me a letter from a manager of PILOT truck stops stating that they are NOT to weigh any RV vehicle, no good reason given. This is not a truck stop on a super highway and IMO does not have so much truck traffic that weighing an RV would interrupt a trucker doing their job.
That is interesting as Flying J welcomes RVs . I would like to know if it is a Pilot thing or a franchise thing. I know that it not a CAT scale thing

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
You can use any Cat scale at a truck stop, this will cost you a small fee between $12 and $15. I haven't weighed in awhile so, I do not know what the current fees are.

Or you can use a grain elevator or gravel pit scale if they are not in use. They some times leave them on at night.

Now if you are referring to the DOT highway scales they are for commercial trucks only when they are open. You might be able to run across the scales if they are closed some have done that on this forum.

I myself have always used the Cat scales at truck stops and just pay the fee for use.
Not to throw you under the RV :-) but the statement about the DOT scales being for commercial trucks only is not correct, it will depend on what state you are in, there is one in northwest Iowa (I29) that has a sign saying all trucks (commercial) and RVs must exit. Now with that being said I have seen many RVs (both MH and TT/5th) pass by when the weigh station is open and have never seen them chase one down. I have used DOT weigh station when they are closed, they generally leave the scales on, I have my better side write down the weights when we go over the scales.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:

At a franchise it is left up to the owner/manager as to what they allow to use their scales. Maybe they had the experience of someone driving on too fast and jamming on the brakes. Doing so can cause damage to the load cells or shift the platform(s), causing inconsistent weights and expensive repairs/re-calibration of the scale.

When driving onto a scale you should be going no more than 3 to 5 mph.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
At a franchise it is left up to the owner/manager as to what they allow to use their scales. Maybe they had the experience of someone driving on too fast and jamming on the brakes. Doing so can cause damage to the load cells or shift the platform(s), causing inconsistent weights and expensive repairs/re-calibration of the scale.

When driving onto a scale you should be going no more than 3 to 5 mph.
You can use the scale without ever going inside if you have their phone app:

https://weighmytruck.com/

Don't know how the franchisee can get around that; unless they run out and tell you to get the #@%& off the scale.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Must be a specific issue with that Pilot, the local Pilot here in Warner Robins GA has no problems with RV's using their CAT scales.

Mike
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #12

The letter they show you is from the "manager" and it has a terribly written signature. I'll stick my neck out and say it's a local PILOT manager thingy.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
CAT scales stands for Certified Automated Truck scales.
It has nothing to do with Caterpillar.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #14

I personally avoid Pilot/Flying J like the plaque, a) because of pricing and b) at one time an attendant stole my CC number.

I frequently use DOT scales after hours or grain elevator scales, but they are pretty busy at times and it is always good practice to ask beforehand and a box of donuts goes a long way.
Do not use DOT scales during business hours unless you're being asked to.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #15

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post

I knew it
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #17
Citrus County, Fl.

Our local landfill will weigh, at least on my Class C, front axle then both axles with no charge as long as you don't need it certified. There is no printout given, they just write it on a piece of paper. A certified print out can be had for a small fee
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #18

Thanks to everyone for all the info, this has been quite an education!

-Grouchy
Old 12-17-2017, 01:26 AM   #19

Some truck gas stops have certified CAT scales anyone can use (for a small fee). We weighed our 5th wheel & dually.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #20

There is an App now called Weigh My Truck it is very convenient. It allows you to set up an account and there is a find a scale section to locate a CAT scale in your area. They are usually located in the Pilots, Flying J or other truck stop locations.
imzady7 is offline   Reply With Quote