Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #1

Weird electric tongue jack

So I buy a brand new still in the box electric tongue jack at a yard sale many months ago. I had intentions of putting it on my box trailer an 8 x 18 footer. Well today I decided was the day to do it. The installation went really well. I had the front of the trailer jacked up with a hydraulic jack and when I tried out the new jack it purred like a kitten down and up. So I hooked the trailer to my truck and raised the jack up to check the clearance--plenty of clearance. Now to take the trailer off of the hitch ball--not so good. When the jack went down and had enough weight on it to start lifting the trailer it just grunted, like me when I was using the old manual jack. Yes the cargo trailer is loaded with tools, supplies and some lumber as I run my HandyMan business out of it. Probably a good 6000 pounds of trailer and stuff together. Yes I double checked all connections and made sure there was a good 12 volts DC at the jack. This jack is an "Atlanta DTH Inc." brand, never heard of them before I bought this one. It is a model RV6000 with a rating of 12vDC 20a 240w. The part #1RVJ-JRE2500. I googled this Atlanta DTH and came up with a company that specializes in satellite communication equipment. Maybe they did make tongue jacks at one time and they didn't work so they went to making satellite com equipment. Does anyone have any info on these jacks or this company? I really shouldn't complain. It may make a nice $25 boat anchor
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #2

Just guessing here????

Maybe that is why is was being sold at the yard sale or maybe the the jack is not rated for the tongue weight of your trailer. Being a box trailer alot of weight can easily get on the tongue where a TT usually stays near the same. Good Luck...

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #3

My luck: I contacted the "Atlanta DTH Inc." and they were kind enough to reply. They were in the RV accessory business but when the RV business went into a slump they got out of the RV accessory business. I can't even find any info as to the ratings for this jack but obviously it is not rated for my cargo trailer. Come to think of it, the only time I went over the scales to weigh this trailer, to satisfy my curiosity, the trailer and contents were a bit over 6000#. I have no idea of the tongue weight. Lesson learned. Does anyone with a kids "little red wagon" need an electric tongue jack for it?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

If you still have this, I might be interested in it. I have the same jack on my trailer and I am looking for the plastic cover. Could always use extra parts. Thanks
Mattmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric