Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
rce

Westlake or Carlisle tires?

Guessing I should replace the old Goodyear Marathon tires on my new to me Surveyor 186 Ultralite (3000 lbs dry). Tires are barely worn but 5 1/2 years old. Not much choice available locally. Tire size is ST205/75R14C.

Nearby dealer "recommends" Westlake tires for about $115 each installed. Says not as good as the Marathons but will do me nicely. Marathons not available apparently.

Other dealer "recommends" Carlisle "higher grade" tires at $140 each installed. Says they are as good or better than the current Marathons.

Mostly we camp locally but planning a cross country trip so want good tires!

So should I spend more & get the Carlise tires? Go farther afield (3-5 hours to USA) for something different/better???

Appreciate any and all input. First trailer ever and have no knowledge about tires.

Thanks!
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

Look for a dealer that carries Maxxis tires.
I am not fond of Carlisle tires.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
Guessing I should replace the old Goodyear Marathon tires on my new to me Surveyor 186 Ultralite (3000 lbs dry). Tires are barely worn but 5 1/2 years old. Not much choice available locally. Tire size is ST205/75R14C.

Nearby dealer "recommends" Westlake tires for about $115 each installed. Says not as good as the Marathons but will do me nicely. Marathons not available apparently.

Other dealer "recommends" Carlisle "higher grade" tires at $140 each installed. Says they are as good or better than the current Marathons.

Mostly we camp locally but planning a cross country trip so want good tires!

So should I spend more & get the Carlise tires? Go farther afield (3-5 hours to USA) for something different/better???

Appreciate any and all input. First trailer ever and have no knowledge about tires.

Thanks!
Would look for a dealer that has Marathons. Used them for over 30 yrs and thousands and thousands of miles and never had a problem.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #4

They're trying to sell you what they make the most profit on. Find some Marathons and stick with them.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
They're trying to sell you what they make the most profit on. Find some Marathons and stick with them.
Do they still make Marathons? I thought I had read somewhere they aren't made anymore?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Marathons are made in China now.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Actually now I'm thinking it was the first place that said they aren't available in Canada. Any Canadians can clarify? A Google search was not successful.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Do they still make Marathons? I thought I had read somewhere they aren't made anymore?
Just bought 4 made 51wk2012

Quote:
And Maxiis are made in Taiwan, who cares where they're made as long as the quality is there?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
rce

Quote:
Actually now I'm thinking it was the first place that said they aren't available in Canada. Any Canadians can clarify? A Google search was not successful.

So searching again with Bing, it wouldn't take a dummy to think of checking a store by the name of "Canadian Tire" for tires in Canada

They list them in my size online for $141.00 plus installation. So are they worth $50 more per tire for Marathons instead of Westlake tires? If so I will be stopping in at my local Canadian Tire store tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
So are they worth $50 more per tire for Marathons instead of Westlake tires?
That's a question you've been answering every day of your adult life. Is it best to buy the cheapest, or something of higher quality that costs more? (I hear that a tire blowout can cause $1000's of dollars damage to an RV. Maybe that can help you decide.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
That's a question you've been answering every day of your adult life. Is it best to buy the cheapest, or something of higher quality that costs more? (I hear that a tire blowout can cause $1000's of dollars damage to an RV. Maybe that can help you decide.)

I'll gladly pay $100 more per tire if it actually makes a difference. Tires are something I don't want to skimp on. But I'd rather not pay more for nothing better. Looking for honest opinions about what is really a better tire than trusting the parts guy at the RV store, who seems like a nice young man.

Sometimes cheapest is best, sometimes not.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Looking for honest opinions
Maxxis has a great reputation, but I have heard good things about Kumho as well. Goodyear Marathons are supposed to be ok yet, but there is that China thing.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Engineer of Crazy Train

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R6V2&tab=Sizes

Tirerack says Made in China
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

That is a fact ChooCHoo
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Goodyear*Marathon Radial

Tirerack says Made in China
There was some speculation that Goodyear was making Marathons in the US again, but I haven't seen any evidence of it yet.
As you posted, Tirerack say theirs come from China.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #16
rce

Quote:
Maxxis has a great reputation, but I have heard good things about Kumho as well. Goodyear Marathons are supposed to be ok yet, but there is that China thing.
So far I can't find a source for Maxxis in Canada other than 1000 miles from me, have E Mailed them to find out if one exists.

Haven't looked into Kumho yet but will try again tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Seriously, I am looking for really good tires, if they exist and I can get my hands on them! Don't mind paying for quality if I'm actually getting quality for my $$$
Old 04-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #17

I have westlake 16" on my work and play and after 5000 miles they look like the day I picked it up. I am over zealous on checking pressure etc but they look great, doesn't mean I wont have a blow out tomorrow but I have been satisfied so far.

I saw a photo taken from a plane over china from a tire insider and he pointed and said that is where your goodyear st tires come from, just down the road is an almost identical plant, he said that is where your westlakes came from,,, who knows ???
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #18

I just put 14 inch Maxxis on my enclosed trailer. I did quite a bit of research and they had great reviews.
Steve7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #19

We bought a 1992 Carriage Cashay 5th wheel in 2009 and it had the original Marathons..at least that's the date the tires had stamped. Being new to camp trailers etc we used it acouple years and did not have any problems. Then we read that we should replace them every 3 years or so. I was leary about buying new Maratons reading that they were now made in China and would fail. I finally located a dealer that only sold US made Marathons and bought 5. So far no problems. Of course our 5th wheel only weights about 6K so not much weight to haul.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

In 2010 Marathons were made in in a plant in China and a Plant in Gadsden Alabama (Plant code MD). Mine were made in the 25th week of 2010.

Then in 2011 (I think) the plant underwent a renovation and they had limited production of many size and types of tires. The renovation was completed the following year. I believe they are back to full production of the Marathons there.

When you ask your Goodyear dealer to order your Marathons form the warehouse, ask them to check for plant Code MD and a MFR date within 6 months.

I would have no issue with Marathons made at the China facility because they are not only inspected by DoT, they are inspected by the Goodyear QC engineers that work at the plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 006.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	28947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 005.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	28948  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote