Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #1

Westlake or Sailun or stay Goodyear?

Hey guys, my Goodyear G-614 tires are old. They are between 7 and 8 years old and look almost new. I sure can't complain about the service I got out of them. The spare has never touched the road. However, according to Cedar Creek, they do not have the load capacity anymore since Goodyear reduced the load rating. So, I'm looking at Westlake and Sailun which are both Chinese tires. However, they seem to have a large fan club. People all seem to be happy with them. I need ST235/85R16 G which all 3 manufacturers have.
The Goodyears are rated at 3750 lbs, the Westlake are 4080 lbs and the Sailuns are 4400

Thoughts?

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Heartland is using a lot of Sailun. I had a set if G rated 120 psi on my Bighorn. I have Sailun H rated 125 PSI on my new Landmark Louisville. I have not heard many complaints on them on forums i frequent. I would replace with the same when I need too.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 AM   #3

The market is now saturated with steel cased LRG ST tires.

Provider ST Radial - Taskmaster

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl-16

https://www.greenball.com/brands/gre...tow-master-asc

Just to name a few. Look around there are many more.

And there is the new USA made (unique) GY polyester ST255/85R16 LRE rated at 4080# @ 80 PSI.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

I’m sticking with the Goodyear G614 on my Cedar Creek. My tires look brand new, I haven’t had any trouble from the Goodyear’s
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
clr

I have had the Sailun tires on my unit now for over 2 years with zero problems with the tires. I replaced the Goodyear Marthon tires that came on my unit, after about a year when I blew two tires on one trip. The Goodyear tires were load range E and new Sailun tires were load range H. Of course I had to also change all the wheels since they could not handle the additional tire pressure.
Although I did file a claim on the Goodyears since they were still under warranties I never was compensated by Goodyear.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
I have had the Sailun tires on my unit now for over 2 years with zero problems with the tires. I replaced the Goodyear Marthon tires that came on my unit, after about a year when I blew two tires on one trip. The Goodyear tires were load range E and new Sailun tires were load range H. Of course I had to also change all the wheels since they could not handle the additional tire pressure.
Although I did file a claim on the Goodyears since they were still under warranties I never was compensated by Goodyear.
The Goodyear Marathon's were known China bombs...

Same with the Westlake tires.

The Goodyear G614's are heavy duty truck tires and are considered a very reliable tire, but very expensive.

And, with the Goodyear G614's, Goodyear used to pay for trailer damage caused by a blown tire...not sure if they still do, however.

Go with the Sailuns...they have a proven track record on big heavy TT's and 5'vers!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The Goodyear Marathon's were known China bombs...

Same with the Westlake tires.
For the "Westlake Tires", is this just hear say or I read it on the internet so, it must be correct! Where is your proof!

I am using the original equipment tires, Westlake on my Cedar Creek, since 2015. These have given me excellent service for the last 4 years. When I check the air pressure in the tires after sitting for 4 to 5 months (winter storage) the air pressure has only drop from 5 to 10 LBS in each tire. When the trailer is in use the air pressure hardly varies form the 110 LBS PSI that is in the tires. No cracks or tire bulges are present these have given me excellent service.

I have asked other Cedar Creek users at the F.R.O.G. rally if they have had any issues with their Westlake tires if equipped with them. No issues with these tires from what I have heard from them.

When I replace my Westlake tires next year they will be with another set of Westlake tires rated for my trailer.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #8

I have Westlakes with about 30k on them . Im gonna try for one more year then I will order another set from Walmart. Great tires at a great price. Just wish we still made quality tires in America.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #9

I did some research on G rated tires since my 2019 Cedar Creek came with Westlakes….I am a die hard Michelin guy...I got 9 yrs out of my E rated XPS RIBs on my 2009 Silverback....but XPS Ribs are not made in the G rating - hence the research.

I have found out the Westlake G rated tires are very good, asking around between other cedar creekers that have serious mileage on them, and other forums....Westlake tires rated lower (D,E) are not so good....

Sailin 637s are also another highly acclaimed G rated tire....I will keep my Westlakes awhile (more than likely much less than 9 yrs) and then will decide whether to get another set, or go with the 637s.

Good Luck.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I have Sailuns on my (SOB) Big Country. Two trips from Michigan to Florida and several trips while in Michigan. I'm very satisfied and have had no problems. I have yet to read a negative report regarding Sailuns.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
RwWildcat327re

I just bought sailun 235 80 16 and they are so much more tire than my towmaster
rickndebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies, y'all. As I said, I can't complain about the Goodyear tires, at all. However, in the summer, they do seem to heat up quite a bit. Pressures will go from 110 psi to 130 to 132 psi. My thoughts are that a tire with a higher load rating probably won't run as hot and won't make my TPMS scream about high pressure. Of course, the age on my tires could be contributing to the heat gain. Anybody using TPMS on the Sailun or Westlake tires?

I too have heard nothing but good things about both tires. Another issue is warranty. Westlake says they have a 5 year warranty, but I haven't been able to review it. Sailun also has a 5 year warranty and it's just a warranty against defects. No tread life.

Westlake has a load rating of 4080 lbs and Sailun has a load rating of 4400 lbs.

So, both tires are pretty much a toss up with Sailun taking the lead for the extra 320 pounds of load capacity.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #13
Global Nomad

I have the Cedar Creek 36CKTS which weights 8 tons. It came with Westlake, which I was very happy. Just before I went on my 7,000 mile Alaska trip, I switched out tires for Sailun, which I am also very happy.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I have the Cedar Creek 36CKTS which weights 8 tons. It came with Westlake, which I was very happy. Just before I went on my 7,000 mile Alaska trip, I switched out tires for Sailun, which I am also very happy.
I also have the 36 CKTS, but mine is a couple of years older. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Anybody using TPMS on the Sailun or Westlake tires?
I'm using TPMS and have Sailuns. I do notice my Sailuns running with less psi
than I did with my previous Goodyears. With cold pressure at 110 psi I'll vary between 120-124.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Thanks for the replies, y'all. As I said, I can't complain about the Goodyear tires, at all. However, in the summer, they do seem to heat up quite a bit. Pressures will go from 110 psi to 130 to 132 psi. My thoughts are that a tire with a higher load rating probably won't run as hot and won't make my TPMS scream about high pressure. Of course, the age on my tires could be contributing to the heat gain. Anybody using TPMS on the Sailun or Westlake tires?

I too have heard nothing but good things about both tires. Another issue is warranty. Westlake says they have a 5 year warranty, but I haven't been able to review it. Sailun also has a 5 year warranty and it's just a warranty against defects. No tread life.

Westlake has a load rating of 4080 lbs and Sailun has a load rating of 4400 lbs.

So, both tires are pretty much a toss up with Sailun taking the lead for the extra 320 pounds of load capacity.
I use TPMS on four Sailun S637T. From 110 or 111 psi start @ 65 degrees ambient, they have heated to max 121 psi @ 90 degree ambient. Mine are full 2 years old with 5,000 miles on my 14-15K lb 5er. They look like new on close inspection and show no deformation. All eight of my previous “F” rated tires failed earlier under similar use. One blowout and 7 with sidewalls hopelessly delaminated.

As for age related to heat buildup: My experience is that “F” rated ST tires did heat up before failure, and when noticed early, I could slow down and run cool enough to make it home (in one case over 400 miles @45 mph).
My extensive early 2017 research showed the 4,400 lb-rated Sailun was the only 4,000-lb rated 16” at a reasonable price, maybe at any price. Back then, “G” rated Goodyear with lower weight rating were near 3 times the price.

Maybe it’s too early to give Sailun a “Great” recommendation, but they are “Great” for me so far. I recommend them with no reservation except that I have only 2 years’ experience.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #17

I had the Westlake tires on my first Cedar Creek and never had a problem in the 18 months I had the camper. The next Cedar Creek came from the factory with the G614 Goodyear’s and in four years I have had zero problems with the tires. The G614 Goodyear’s are not cheap but when these tires age out I’ll replace them with another set of the G614 tires. When I find a good product that’s made in America I tend to stick with that product. I buy American when I can but buy what you like
Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I had the Westlake tires on my first Cedar Creek and never had a problem in the 18 months I had the camper. The next Cedar Creek came from the factory with the G614 Goodyear’s and in four years I have had zero problems with the tires. The G614 Goodyear’s are not cheap but when these tires age out I’ll replace them with another set of the G614 tires. When I find a good product that’s made in America I tend to stick with that product. I buy American when I can but buy what you like
I too try to buy American when I can and I told myself not too long ago that I would never buy Chinese tires. However, Goodyear downrated their G-614's load rating and that's why Cedar Creek no longer uses them. I want at least 4000 lb tires.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #19

My Cedar Creek can carry 15,725lb but we will never carry that much weight. If I had a 36CK2 I would use 17.5 inch tires, Goodyear’s. My Cedar Creek model has been discontinued 32RL. I have seen brand new Cedar Creek 36CKTS sitting side by side at a dealership in Myrtle Beach South Carolina, one had Westlake and one G614 Goodyears.