Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 55
Westlake Super ST tires

My new (2014) Flagstaff 21FBRS Micro Lite came with Westlake Super ST205/75-R14 tires on it. They are a Chinese tire, and they are radials.

Having read several older posts about the Chinese tires being no good, and other posts stating you should not run radials on the trailer axles, I'm now speculating that the new Chinese tires are much better since Flagstaff is putting them on their newer units, and that this particular radial is designed for trailers since they also have the ST designation.

Anyone running these tires who would be willing to share their experience?
__________________

__________________
Bill & Lynne
2014 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
2013 Nissan Frontier SV CC 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,101
Radial tires on trailers are almost standard these days. I would not say they are any better or worse than the other OE trailer tires.
Different name but still not from one of the major tire manufactures.
__________________

__________________
Ontario

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
My new (2014) Flagstaff 21FBRS Micro Lite came with Westlake Super ST205/75-R14 tires on it. They are a Chinese tire, and they are radials.

Having read several older posts about the Chinese tires being no good, and other posts stating you should not run radials on the trailer axles, I'm now speculating that the new Chinese tires are much better since Flagstaff is putting them on their newer units, and that this particular radial is designed for trailers since they also have the ST designation.

Anyone running these tires who would be willing to share their experience?
My new 2013 had these tires 235/80R 16's. I put around 10K miles on them between trips to IN, AL, FL, and over 200miles almost every weekend (during football season) to games. I never had an issue with them. Kept them inflated and inspected. I changed them out for LT tires in December just for added piece of mind and increased speed rating. Not that I'm driving 80+mph, I just wanted something I could do 70mph comfortably and not worry about it. I kept the Westlakes and sold them on Craigslist.
__________________
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44) 2014-(59) 2015-(47)
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
My new 2013 had these tires 235/80R 16's. I put around 10K miles on them between trips to IN, AL, FL, and over 200miles almost every weekend (during football season) to games. I never had an issue with them. Kept them inflated and inspected. I changed them out for LT tires in December just for added piece of mind and increased speed rating. Not that I'm driving 80+mph, I just wanted something I could do 70mph comfortably and not worry about it. I kept the Westlakes and sold them on Craigslist.
I have the same Westlakes on my Wildcat and plan on using them for a while.
__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Here are more threads on WestLake tires......

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Westl...G4GMyATrz4LoBg
__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
raspivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 1,362
I've had no problems with mine. Then again, I sometimes wonder about the speed, upkeep, and pressure when I hear about blow outs. Sure, it happens, but I'm willing to bet the majority are from using a tire outside its design limits. Of course...I'm a pressure nazi and don't haul butt going down the road and I inspect mine every trip.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
DaveSchwartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Waterloo Region
Posts: 717
If you search around here you will find a fairly wide disdain for Chinese generic/no-name trailer tires. Most of them are built to minimum spec to capture big American contracts and then pack as many as possible into shipping containers. The names change frequently as the manufacturers come and go (liability limitation?)

I grew up in a big tire manufacturing town and am very familiar with what proper rubber compounds smell like. With almost all tires from China, the rubber does not have that proper smell - too bitter and 'chemical' like too many strange volatile compounds evaporating. My wife and I joke that plastics and rubber from China smell like they are made from rendered-down political prisoners. The Goodyear Marathons I bought were from China but have the proper rubber compound smell. I have confidence that Goodyear exercises good control over the compounding process and trust that they do the same over the build process which I can't see.
__________________
2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8282WS Platinum, GY Marathon LRD, TST 507RV TPMS
2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB D/A, Curt E16, Prodigy P2, Garmin RV760LMT w/BC-20 b/u cam

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
beechjet16mf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Peck Lake, MT
Posts: 113
We have a 2014 27RLWS Flagstaff trailer with the same tires, and we have almost 20,000 miles on them. We make sure that the pressures are right and don't drive over 60, and haven't had any problems.
__________________
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
If you search around here you will find a fairly wide disdain for Chinese generic/no-name trailer tires. Most of them are built to minimum spec to capture big American contracts and then pack as many as possible into shipping containers. The names change frequently as the manufacturers come and go (liability limitation?)

I grew up in a big tire manufacturing town and am very familiar with what proper rubber compounds smell like. With almost all tires from China, the rubber does not have that proper smell - too bitter and 'chemical' like too many strange volatile compounds evaporating. My wife and I joke that plastics and rubber from China smell like they are made from rendered-down political prisoners. The Goodyear Marathons I bought were from China but have the proper rubber compound smell. I have confidence that Goodyear exercises good control over the compounding process and trust that they do the same over the build process which I can't see.
Ever smelled a Maxxis?
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jlgail4309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 431
kumho 857 great tire for the size.
__________________

__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2013 Salem Cruise light 19bh
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.