Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #1

What is average tire and wheel bearing hub temp

New to towing a travel trailer and was wondering what is the average Tire temp I should be looking for and what is the danger zone also I will be hitting the wheel bearing hub with a temp gun also so what temps should I be seeing there. I do not have a tpms system will just be using a handheld temp gun. It's a 24foot greywolf about 4800lbs LTG with dual axles
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
New to towing a travel trailer and was wondering what is the average Tire temp I should be looking for and what is the danger zone also I will be hitting the wheel bearing hub with a temp gun also so what temps should I be seeing there. I do not have a tpms system will just be using a handheld temp gun. It's a 24foot greywolf about 4800lbs LTG with dual axles
Too many variables to answer your question. Ambient temp, the side the sun is shining on, brake use, how you are loaded all make a difference. On my RV the sofa, fridge, and stove are all on the larger street side slide. Street side tires and hubs run warmer than curb side because they carry more weight. The crown on some roads can make a difference from side to side. If your running nose high or low you could see a difference in the front or rear axel wheel temps.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
DDC

Like the tires there should not be a huge difference in temps, you may find one side a little hotter than the other but thats usually the sun side.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #4

as long as the temps are fairly equal you are good to go, if one tire or hub is lots hotter than the others you have a problem. as others have said the side facing the sun will be about 10 degrees higher. also asphalt highway temps will be higher than concrete highways.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

x2 what everybody above said, so that is most important, but I suspect you would like to know actual average temperatures experienced by others. My experience is something like 150F in relatively hot April and October Florida conditions, but could be higher or lower. My guess is that you are safe up to 160F, possibly 170F. I think others with more experience could chime in with actual temperatures that they experience.

FWIW, Timken claims their high temp wheel bearing grease is good up to 300F. http://www.timken.com/pdf/10573_Grea...ll%20Sheet.pdf That makes me feel better, but i don't want to see temps anywhere near that.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #6

Tire Temp

You should be able to walk around and touch the tire, wheel and hub briefly without getting burned. I do that at every stop. If warmer than that, there is a problem and warrants further investigation.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
larryandamy

Tire temperature

I installed wireless tire pressure and temp monitors and i love it.
I have dually and have blown/shredded inner tires because of low tire pressure.
Now I just set high and low limits for temperature and pressure and a green LED tells me I am good. They say the tire temperature can be as high at 180 to 190F for high warning temp setpoint, but these are on steel valve stems on aluminum wheels and report wheel temp and that is thermally quite removed from the hub/bearings, but will show higher temps if low pressure tire or friction is raising tire temps.
The highest I have seen is 120F and that was last week driving on 395 in CA south of Lone Pine with outside temperature at 106F.
So i set the high temp alarm at 150F and just look for the green LED. If it goes red then I know my tire pressure is below 50PSI or tire temp is above 150F.

This cost me $250 but it is more than worth it. I used to wonder.. is that the road or my tires... Now I just look at display of pressures and temps and green LED and know my tires are OK. Great peace of mind...
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #8

Infrared temp unit

I found out that one of my brakes was not working by doing the walk-a-bout with the IF (infrared) unit. It was significantly lower on the side where the brake failure happened. When i dismantled the brake I found that one of the wire had rubbed through and did not function. I spliced the wire and it, the brake, was as good as new.
I also turned off the brake controller when I thought I had a problem for one stop and used the TV brakes. It took a little while to stop the trailer but I then had a sense of the temp of the hub with out brakes. I was caught me off guard by the climbing temp when I stopped with the brakes on and functioning. Duh, it made sense after thinking about it for a second. Learning curve stuff as with every one else.
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

I check my 5th wheel hub temperature as often as I check my truck hub temperature. Never.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #10

We bought a TMPS, works great....the motivation to buy was from seeing all the TT on the side of the interstate over the years with blow out tires in the high heat. we also spent money on good G rated tires because we will do long distance across the US.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

TPMS temp:
90 OAT I saw a max of 111*F
LoadD 65 psi
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
Canadian Member

I recently got this infrared temp gun. As others have said, the hub temps vary based on a number of factors. My trailer sits slightly nose high so the rear axle hubs can run about 4 to 5 °C warmer than the front axle after driving an hour and a half. I have a single super slide (16' long x 36" deep) so that side may run a degree or two warmer but I notice the sunny side will increase temps by 2 to 3 °C. I only started checking temps this year and the ambient temps have never been warmer than about 28°C. The hottest hub temp I've seen was about 54°C on the rear, slide side wheel. (Note that a 1 °C difference = approx. a 1.8 °F difference)
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #13

Thanks everyone,at least now I have an idea of what to look for and go about it
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, wheel