Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 01:39 AM   #1

What kind of axle do I have on my 2015 wildwood xlite 261bhxl?

Hello I am new to this world of travel trailers as I just bought my first one just two weeks ago. When the driver delivered my camper he said that the grease that sprayed out on one of the wheels was probably due to over packing during dealer prep and nothing to worry about. So I cleaned it off and went on my first trip. First stop at rest area I was happy to see all wheels clean. Then about 100 miles later I noticed the splatter on only that same wheel. The other three didn't have a drop on them. By the time I got home it was just getting worse. I know nothing about wheel bearings so I'm trying to learn up on it but I have no idea what kind or size they are and the owners manual does not seem to exist anywhere for this camper. Any help or point in a direction or even an opinion I would be very grateful for.
chrosw726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:09 AM   #2

I forgot to ask if the axle is the so called EZ lube type or something different?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:16 AM   #3
Just a member

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

I suspect some 3500 lb, leaf sprung, Dexter axles are installed on your Wildwood. I might be wrong...

You should have received, along with the owner's manual, documentation associated with all the equipment installed in your rig. That would include information (manual) related to the axles installed on the trailer.

The driver that delivered your TT is full of you-know-what. Grease being sprayed onto the wheels means the bearing/axle assy is not properly sealed. I would first want to access the dust seal/cap located at the outer end of the axle in question. If your have white spoked wheels, the dust cap should be in plain view. It may not be seated properly. And... a picture would be awesomely handy at this point.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:31 AM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrosw726 View Post
I forgot to ask if the axle is the so called EZ lube type or something different?
It may or may not have that feature. You'll know for sure by accessing the outer axle dust cap.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:03 AM   #5

Thank you so much for your quick and very useful reply. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them on here as soon as I get home since I can't figure out how to do it on my cell phone. But it does have a silver metal cap that I think I can just pry off. Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you so much for your quick and very useful reply. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them on here as soon as I get home since I can't figure out how to do it on my cell phone. But it does have a silver metal cap that I think I can just pry off. Thanks again.
If there is a rubber insert in the middle of the silver cap you have the Easy lube hubs. The axle infomation is usually posted on a sticker attached someplace on the axle. It provides the axle manufacture and weights. Never seen and axle info other than wheel torque located in the manual. The manual at best for any TT is generic.. Have the VIN number handy and call ing the manufacture will usually get you the info you're looking for. As previously mentioned I suspect the end cap is not properly seated or if you have the E lube hubs, the rubber seal may be torned. Do a search on easy lube hubs if you have them, you'll learn a lot.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Site Team

I would also contact the dealer and tell them that you have one wheel bearing throwing grease and it was noted to you also by delivery driver. ( just to have it documented). It has been my experience that unless you have a superior dealer, you have the standard initial amount of grease added by the factory or mfgr. Every TT I have owned with EZ-lube type bearings took a considerable amount once I got it home. If you use the trailer before you resolve the issue, be sure to continually check the hub. You can do this easily buy checking the hub temp relative to the other hubs either by hand or with an IR thermometer ( great investment). If checking by hand, be careful a failing bearing can result in a very hot hub.

This video should help :

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

Since we have had more than our share of wheel bearing problems with our USED tt, I suggest this should go right back to the dealer. Properly installed wheel bearings seals and grease should be trouble free for thousands of miles. If you bought this thing new and its already throwing grease you should have a big issue with your dealer unless they fix it for you practically on the spot
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #9

I know those 3500 pound axles inside and out, but I only had to learn it because we bought a trailer several years old that perhaps had not had proper maintenance. It is way more than you want to have to learn the hard way. In fact, new or used if you bought that from a dealer it should go right back to that dealer.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #10

Thanks guys for all your help. Scotty I do not have the rubber inserts. I did take the cover off and took some pictures but I don't know how to put them on here. Flybob thanks for the advice and I thin I will call the dealer but I have 0 fate in them. Seems like I just got robbed by them every chance they got. (one tire was way older then other three and is dry rotted already, the "brand new E-Z anti sway hitch" was old rusted and just freshly spray painted. I don't think I will ever buy site unseen trailer ever again a specially from RVwholesaler.com. :-) . Tom I feel your pain because that's usually how I learn about things too. :-) The problem is that the Dealer is in Ohio and I'm in Wyoming. Once I figure out how to put my pictures on URL I will post them here and try to document my progress so some one, some day may find it useful.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
Site Team

if you bought from RVW, send the co-owner Dave Durnell a PM.
he's a member here and has an open invitation for his customers to PM with issues.
he has a great rep here on the Forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 AM   #12

Thanks. I will for sure do that.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #13

I got some pictures but not sure if I'm doing this right so I will just test it here to see.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #14

Pictures

Ok, so I took some pictures. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_151503.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	83485   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_151510.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	83486   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_152202.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	83487   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_152207.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	83488   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_152209.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	83489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_152214.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	83490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_152220.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	83491   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_152221.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	83492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_152231.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	83493  
Old 07-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #15

Axle Identification

Like Scotty says, there should be a silver tag on each axle, usually midway across the tube and on the backside so the road rash doesn't take IT off. What I have done, is take pictures of all that ID, including the magnets etc when I pulled my wheels to pack bearings. I have all the pics and numbers on my phone in case I get stuck on the road and need help. Hope this helps
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:03 AM   #16
Just a member

Quote:
Ok, so I took some pictures. What do you guys think?
The dust cap looks to be secure but there appears to be a lot of excess grease along the lip of the cap. If some of that grease was external (sloppy work) to the cap, it would surely find its way out along the radius of the wheel.

Btw, and assuming the rig is equipped with Dexter axles, you have the E-Z Lube axles. That threaded hole in the center of the axle is the giveaway. Go fetch some zerk/grease fittings and you'll be able grease the bearings without having to disassemble the unit. The feature that includes the rubber access plug on the dust cover is nice but not necessary. I have the plugs but remove the dust cover so that I'm better able to view the grease pushing through the outer bearing.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:18 AM   #17

well, those dust covers wont work with the zerks. interesting that the mfg ditched the zerks. question...if you add zerks, how will you know that the grease you add is compatible with the existing grease? better to just do a bearing pack and ditch the already known to be funky oem grease...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:42 AM   #18
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
well, those dust covers wont work with the zerks.
Not necessarily. Some do. May be tight but some will fit. Measure twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
question...if you add zerks, how will you know that the grease you add is compatible with the existing grease?
By pumping in grease that is recommended by the axle's manufacturer.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Like Scotty says, there should be a silver tag on each axle, usually midway across the tube and on the backside so the road rash doesn't take IT off. What I have done, is take pictures of all that ID, including the magnets etc when I pulled my wheels to pack bearings. I have all the pics and numbers on my phone in case I get stuck on the road and need help. Hope this helps
Ah yeah I was going to look for that. That is a very good idea about the pictures. I will take your advice and do the same. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
The dust cap looks to be secure but there appears to be a lot of excess grease along the lip of the cap. If some of that grease was external (sloppy work) to the cap, it would surely find its way out along the radius of the wheel.

Btw, and assuming the rig is equipped with Dexter axles, you have the E-Z Lube axles. That threaded hole in the center of the axle is the giveaway. Go fetch some zerk/grease fittings and you'll be able grease the bearings without having to disassemble the unit. The feature that includes the rubber access plug on the dust cover is nice but not necessary. I have the plugs but remove the dust cover so that I'm better able to view the grease pushing through the outer bearing.
I don't think the grease build up on the outside of the cup housing was that bad at the beginning of my trip. Seems like it built up more the longer I drove it. But I could just not noticed it before. Seems like the wheel is more greasy on side then other. Maybe the dirty side of the cup was always out of my view? I am happy to hear that it is an EZ lube type an axel. Thanks for the great info.

Tags
axle, wildwood